Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-14-2014, 05:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dumping the air on a 2005 Horizon

I have a garage with a 12 ft 2 inch door opening which requires that I dump the air in order to get the coach in. I do this by putting the coach in neutral, engaging the brake, and hitting the dump switch on the leveling system. My fear has always been if the coach will rise up while I am maneuvering and give me a hit on my satellite dish. I am wondering if anybody has hd a similar situation and created your own dump switch that you know will stay dumped as long a it is on?
[email protected]
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Kane View Post
I have a garage with a 12 ft 2 inch door opening which requires that I dump the air in order to get the coach in. I do this by putting the coach in neutral, engaging the brake, and hitting the dump switch on the leveling system. My fear has always been if the coach will rise up while I am maneuvering and give me a hit on my satellite dish. I am wondering if anybody has hd a similar situation and created your own dump switch that you know will stay dumped as long a it is on?
Bruce,
Well Sir, I'm always trying to learn about the air systems on our coaches. Ours is almost a sister ship to yours only a year older. But, as I understand it, without something in writing to back it up, my guess is that the parking brakes, are tied into the air dump system. So, yes, you can dump the air while the brakes are set. But, if you release them, your system will automatically start to build. Again, not real sure of this.

But, you can do a simple test. Park the rig outside, set the brakes, dump the air. Now, release them and just move the rig, either in reverse or forward and see if my theory applies. If not, and your rig does not start to rise, then you're most likely fine for backing it in while dumped.

But, and here's a real issue that I know for sure. If you try and maneuver a rig like ours, and what I mean by MANEUVER IS, "TURN" the wheels, if you turn them even a bit more past center in either direction, there's almost a guaranty that you'll hit the fender wells with the front tires. So, I don't know how much you need to "Maneuver" it while entering your parking area but, I'd surely be careful.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

B Kane, on our 03 Journey I was thinking if you don't hit the rabbit switch the suspension does start airing up when the Parking brake is released. The HWH said the samething.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
B Kane, on our 03 Journey I was thinking if you don't hit the rabbit switch the suspension does start airing up when the Parking brake is released. The HWH said the samething.
grtharris,
I just checked one of many of my HWH manuals (troubleshooting/owners/Install/ and this is what it states, in a couple of places:

"The pilot air dump system will return to the travel position if the ignition is on and the "STORE" button is pushed or the park brake is released.

Now, I tried to find specifics on the consequences of releasing the parking brake if and when, the air system/bags are emptied. At present, I can't. Now, we have the HWH 625 Computer Controlled Automatic Leveling System on our '04 Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330 CAT.

I personally have never tried to release the parking brake, with the jacks down and bags empty or, just with the bags empty. Our system, and anyone else that has that 625 system, will allow for the bags to be emptied, without dropping the jacks, as part of the leveling operation in a MANUAL mode. But, the only time any portion of that leveling system, which includes either the emptying of the bags or, operation of the jacks, can work is, when the parking brake is set.

Nothing will work, unless that parking brake is set so, it would seem to me that, if you set the brakes, then, turned the HWH system on and, manually dropped the bags, then, released the brakes, what would happen is, the processer in there would, as a safety measure, instantaneously start filling the bags to achieve the "travel mode". Never tried it so, this is just a theory and, it kind of co-insides with what I quoted above.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

That is what I have observed, so the trick for me is to get the coach in the garage before it comes back to travel mode. I was hoping to find a way to override this process until the coach is safely tucked away.
[email protected]
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I guess if you found the line(s) from the tanks that go to the height control valves, you could install an electric shut off solenoid to block air from filling air bags after dumping. You'd have to be careful not to turn wheels, as has been mentioned, also don't drive any distance with improper height because the drive shaft will be out of line.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Here is a link to a Freightliner Chassie Air Line diagram. I believe it is for a 2003 XC chassie however the concept may be the same. I found this link in the IRV2 Freightliner forum so you might want to look at that forum for more information.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...3&d=1294707044
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Diesel pusher, right? Driving/moving with deflated air suspension will put the driveshaft in a bind.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote