Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Dull, flat fiberglass

My motorhome is really starting to show its age since it is stored outside in the weather. Not much I can do with the fading and peeling decals, but I would like to do something with the fiberglass/gelcoat that is turning chalky and flat, with no shine to it. I've tried waxing but it seems to lose its luster quickly.

I came across two products that I am wondering if it would help, just not sure about what can be used on fiberglass. Anyone here tried either Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound or Turtle Wax Polishing Compound? Both products are for painted surfaces, but would like to know the results on fiberglass motorhomes if anyone has used them.

Thank you,-RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Do a search for poli-glow on the IRV2 forums. Most people have had good results, including myself.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Take a look at this

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/red-m...ion-93958.html

I used Red max pro on my old 91 its a bit of work but you will be shocked by the results!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

3M products

I had good luck with 3M marine wax/cleaner then finished up with 3M scotchguard wax about 30 dollars each at the local boat shop made my 05 Itasca look new again.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I'll second the RED MAX Pro application. Wash with Dawn dish soap, use Bar Keepers Friend and a 3m scrubbie for black streaks, rinse thoroughly and apply 4 coats of RMP#3 (easiest part) and you're done for a couple years.

Here's a before/after of my 94 Adventurer

http://i52.tinypic.com/bg43fm.jpg
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I third the use of Red Max Pro #3.

I have used both Polyglow and Red Max Pro #3. I used polyglow on my boat 5 years ago and I used RMP #3 on my MH this summer. They go on about the same but RMP #3 costs a lot less. A quart of Polyglow costs about $60.00 (but the kit contains applicators and fiberglass cleaner) and RMP #3 costs about $17.00 for a gallon (Buy your own cleaner and applicator).

Here is a link to a very long thread about RMP #3 (sold at Lowes) and the same product by the same manufacturer sold at Home Depot under the name Zep Wet Gloss Finish.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Shiny RV with Red Max Pro (pics)

Safe Travels.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer1 View Post
Here's a before/after of my 94 Adventurer
WOW !!
Old 10-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thanks everyone for the replies and the referral of Red Max Pro #3. I've never heard of this product but might be just what I'm looking for. I'd like a full-body paint but at $12-15k that's not likely to happen, so I'd like to at least make the motorhome look better than it does.

I have a Home Depot nearby, so will check out Zep Wet Gloss Finish.

Romer1 - do you happen to have a few more photos you could post? I like what I see in the 'after' portion of your motorhome.

Thank you. -RT
Old 10-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Many folks have tried Red Max Pro. I used Mop & Glow and have good success so far. I just applied it to the end caps of my mh and am anxious to see how it weathers.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

So I guess I should ask someone who has applied one of these products what the durability of the finish once it's been applied. Does it start peeling off in the future? Can you re-apply another coat, or does it all have to come off before starting over?

Thank you. -RT
Old 10-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
So I guess I should ask someone who has applied one of these products what the durability of the finish once it's been applied. Does it start peeling off in the future? Can you re-apply another coat, or does it all have to come off before starting over?

Thank you. -RT
You can find answers to all of your questions plus pictures for rigs before and after here.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Shiny RV with Red Max Pro (pics)

Info at the above link will tell you how to apply RMP #3. It takes about 4 coats to start looking good. I put 5 on my RV. A new coat yearly should keep your rig looking great. The link also contains instruction on how to remove the powder build up on older fiberglass and how to remove stains. RMP 3# apparently does wonders for old faded decals.

I used Polyglow on my boat 5 years ago. I didn't put on a yearly coat as directed. The sides of my boat still look great but the top of my boat is starting to show areas where the Polyglow has worn through. Next season I will recoat the top and sides. On the sides I can just put new coats over the existing. I don't know if I will have to remove the old coats remaining on the top or if I can get away with putting a new coat over what is already there.

Here is a picture of my 1973 boat taken last year.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...IMG_0861-1.jpg

Good luck.

JD

Old 10-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #12

To answer the original question.. Rubbing compound is more aggressive than Polish.. Compound is used to remove, like in scratches.. Polish, well, polishes..

That said, if you use one of the Acrylics above, it'll prolly look tons better with less work. Just clean, clean, clean really well first.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I wonder if you would get better fuel mileage with the smoother, slicker surface that has less drag.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #14

You want some turbulence to keep the boundary layer attached...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies and the referral of Red Max Pro #3. I've never heard of this product but might be just what I'm looking for. I'd like a full-body paint but at $12-15k that's not likely to happen, so I'd like to at least make the motorhome look better than it does.

I have a Home Depot nearby, so will check out Zep Wet Gloss Finish.

Romer1 - do you happen to have a few more photos you could post? I like what I see in the 'after' portion of your motorhome.

Thank you. -RT
Sorry no more pics. I'll have to take some next time I get it out of storage.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
To answer the original question.. Rubbing compound is more aggressive than Polish.. Compound is used to remove, like in scratches.. Polish, well, polishes..

That said, if you use one of the Acrylics above, it'll prolly look tons better with less work. Just clean, clean, clean really well first.
I have used both the rubbing and the polishing compounds on my coach and they both bring out the shine very well. It is a lot of work, elbo grease, then U still have to apply a good carnuba base wax after wards to protect the finish. All done by hand.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:16 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Red Max Pro for sure.
Did our class A last month. What a difference.
jprisbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I read this and many other threads on Red Max Pro. With so many people endorsing and cheering this product on I thought it must be great stuff.
I went to Lowes and bought a gal. last evening. I cleaned a small section in the front of my MH and put a little RMP on it. I planned to do the whole thing today.
Instead, I got some Scotch brite and cleanser and scrubbed all the yellow RMP off. I had no desire to give them more $ for their stripper. It kinda looked like I put polyurethane on it.
I don't understand why it is so popular unless it's just for older and very oxidated MHs and in that case, maybe it really is good. I just didn't like how it turned my white to yellow and just one coat took alot of abrasive scrubbing to get off. 4 coats seem like it would be pretty much permanent.
I spent most of the day waxing the front, back, and one side of the MH the old fashion way.
I just wanted to say that RMP Floor Finish is not for everybody nor all RVs IMO.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Each coat should be applied very thinly. I used the shammy applicator that came with my Polyglow kit. After the first coat on my RV I could hardly see any difference. Runs should be prevented if possible and removed when found. After three coats it started to make a difference. Four coats and it started to shine. It took the fifth coat to really look good.