Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

There must be hundreds of us with this problem. If we all were to file a complaint with the NHTSB we might force a re-call. It is definitely a safety hazard, especially where it interferes with seeing the outside mirror. I have filed two complaints so far.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

If a window/windshield was broken would the INS CO. replace it?
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

We've also got a problem with fogging of one of our dual pane windows. We bought the coach just this past May, and the window was clear. We now have, however, the forward window fogged on the passenger side (the one the driver has to look through to view the passenger side mirror). I'm very disappointed to see this happening.
Doula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:58 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Wow! I can't believe there are this many problems with dual pane (or is it pain?) windows. There are similar complaints on every forum I've been reading. I may want to reconsider this option for the motorhome I'm getting ready to order. Nearly $1,000 for an option that looks like it is guaranteed to fail. I understand their insulating properties, but the failure rate seems to be on the verge of ridiculous.
emmmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:20 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Emmmw,,,GET the dual pane windows,,so much cooler and warmer in the coach. Great insulation. You will be sorry if you don't.

Do a search on dual pane windows and you will find some fixes. I bought the 02 with a fogged forward passenger window...EASY FIX. I took it to a auto glass shop had them drill a whole in the inside lower corner,,the glass popped and spider webbed into a thousand pieces ,,removed the inside glass and cleaned the remaining glass and viola ,,then I could see the mirror ..I only had a single pane left so I ordered new glass , had it installed and am good to go...Only permanent fix is to replace it. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:00 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

I wouldn't hesitate getting the double pane windows at all. They are well worth the extra charge. It is usually only the front quarter windows that loose their seal and in some cases the crank out bedroom lower half glass. Those front quarter windows are just poor quality and need to be replaced by the manufacturer. Which I understand from Winnie is "Atwood". I have not heard a complaint on any of the main coach windows.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:06 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

inchn2go: Did you replace the entire unit on the passenger side? If you don't mind, what was your final cost incl installation. I know I checked glass shops around my area and the expense was outrageous; just to see your mirror. This obviously poor quality and workmanship on the Vendors part.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:21 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

First of all I found the Atwood Window Web site http://www.atwoodmobile.com/Email/default.cfm
I would suggest you all go to this site, email them with a complaint.

Homer, Remove the inside pane and then you can see the mirror..
The window itself was ordered from my Winnie dealer at about 170 + freight. The installation at the dealer was 140 so a ball park figure of 350.

I will be interested to see if Atwood replies to my e-mail and then to see what they have to say. Good Miles
Old 09-24-2007, 04:35 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

We have an 01 Adventurer with the dual pane windows. In almost 7 years and 60,000 miles there haven't been any problems.

Just in case I checked with a local glass company about repairing them. They claim to be able to disassemble and reseal this type of window at a fraction of the cost of buying new. They wouldn't give me a price, but rather said it would depend on size and whether or not they had to remove it.

It might be worth your time to check in your area to see if anyone offers this service. If it works (fortunately I haven't had to try it yet) it could save a lot of time and money.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:56 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

I called Atwood, but got nowhere, except replacement window would cost $600. I will use your web address and send them an e-mail to. Thanks for your response, I must say your price was a lot better than what I was quoted.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:07 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

Homer,, check with your favorite Winnie dealer.
Of course there is always Lichtsinn Motors.

My local glass dealer, told me to get the window and they would install it (did not give me a price.

When my local Winnie dealer told me what they could do my response was "Have at it." Good Luck
Old 09-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

I'll suggest it again. I had the same problem on my sliding passenger window. All I did was drill 3 1/16" holes into the seal between the glass panes. After about a week the moister dried up.

28' enclosed car trailer
DragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Drag Racer: I have your suggestion along with several others in a file dealing with this problem. Do you have problems with the moisture getting back in between the glasses?
I called my insurance company, they do not cover this sort of damage, as it relates to product failure not an accident. They did consult with a large glass repair company they do business with, they said they could remove the window clean it and reseal it. No cost was discussed. However, the cost would be on me. I am going to talk with them myself, they will send a rep to look at the problem.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:38 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

I drilled mine in the spring. It took about 4 days for the moisture to dry out. I have had no moisture return. My only concern is over the years will there be dust getting between the glass. I drilled a hole about 3" from the top, one in the middle, and one about 3" from the bottom.

28' enclosed car trailer
DragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:43 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

Drag Racer: Thanks for the additional details, I will add them to my notes. Might find some sort of stick on filter material to put over the holes to help hold out dust.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:55 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I know I am in the minority here, but these problems are the reason why we did NOT get dual pane windows. I didn't want problems with fogging or moisture. If we were full timing or doing a lot of winter camping, we would reconsider, but for our needs the standard windows work just fine.</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:17 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

I'm glad you like the single pane just fine...We had a 99 adventurer w/single pane and it was hot hot hot of course we old folks can't take the heat like you young uns..The double pane works for the A/C justlike it does for the heat. Good miles and I know you enjoy your MOHO
Old 09-25-2007, 06:49 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

Not to mention that in cool weather, or high humidity the single pane windows sweat something terrible. I have seen my brother literally have to put towels on his furniture close to the windows. It dripped down his side walls. However, that is in the Midwest or South East. Other areas more arrid, one should be just fine.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:54 AM   #39
Winnie-Wise

A repair that you can try on the dual pane is to take the window completely out of the frame and put it in an oven set on low heat, about 150dF and bake it for about 4 hours. Remove it and immediately coat the seam around it with a marine grade sealant.

Let it col and put it back into the frame. This is not as good as the original with the inert gas in the window, but the heat will drive most of the moisture out and sealing it again should keep it clear most of the time. Sure beats paying for a new window.

Ken
Old 09-26-2007, 05:59 AM   #40
KCE
Winnebago Owner

For Ruth CT:

Our window was replaced for free by Media Camper Center as it was part of the agreement when we purchased it. They agreed to replace it when we returned from a 2 1/2 month trip. Did a good job and I'm happy.
KCE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, window