Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2005 Journey with an undercoach AC/heatpump. The heat pump works as expected and both compressors operate with no problem. However, if I start the AC with a setpoint 4 or 5 degress below ambient temp, the first compressor starts, cools and 30 seconds later the second compressor starts as expected. Then, around 1.5 minutes later, everything shuts down as if the power had been interrupted. If the second compressor is disabled at the breaker or if the thermostat set point is within 2 degrees of ambient, the single compressor cools indefinately. However once the second compressor starts and runs for 1.5 minutes (if I throw the breaker on or lower the thermostat set point), the systems shuts down completely. The 1.5 minutes run time varies between 1 min 28 sec to almost 2 minutes. I am reasonably handy but know little about AC mechanics. Help
jbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2005 Journey with an undercoach AC/heatpump. The heat pump works as expected and both compressors operate with no problem. However, if I start the AC with a setpoint 4 or 5 degress below ambient temp, the first compressor starts, cools and 30 seconds later the second compressor starts as expected. Then, around 1.5 minutes later, everything shuts down as if the power had been interrupted. If the second compressor is disabled at the breaker or if the thermostat set point is within 2 degrees of ambient, the single compressor cools indefinately. However once the second compressor starts and runs for 1.5 minutes (if I throw the breaker on or lower the thermostat set point), the systems shuts down completely. The 1.5 minutes run time varies between 1 min 28 sec to almost 2 minutes. I am reasonably handy but know little about AC mechanics. Help
Old 03-04-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

I believe the unit you have is a Coleman-Mack. If so, it is manfactured by RV Products. There is a pretty good troubleshooting guide onthe internet. I think I found it by Googling "Coleman-Mack". If that doesn't work or it's not of any help Google RV products and call them. good Luck
Old 03-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

jbowers;

I had a similar problem. I disconnected power to the thermostat for a minute and re hooked it up. It worked fine after that. Maybe it just needs to be rebooted.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I would think tstat also. In the heat pump mode all the controlling is done by the pc board in the basement unit once it receives the signal from the tstat. In the airconditioning mode the start/stop controls are in the tstat.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hmmm.. maybe the run capacitor on compressor #2 is defective? Sounds like you have an overcurrent situation involving #2.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Many thanks to Don and KIX. My AC is fixed and working GREAT. Just had to hit the battery disconnect for 30 seconds to reboot the tstat and the systems is fine. DW was already figuring for the MH rapair budget and equally (more?) pleased and impressed. Hooray for the FORUM!!!!