Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-29-2021, 09:07 PM   #21
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

Access panels via the storage compartments; as bigb says above - great place to store stuff.
Sounds like an ideal spot for a safe for passports, cash etc.
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:23 PM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

Lost Remote Under Murphy Bed

I have a 2106DS with a Murphy bed and lost something in the same fashion you lost your remote. If you go into your outside accessed front storage compartments all the way toward the front you will notice a wood panel about 12” x 16” held in place by 2 Phillips head screws. Remove the screws and the panel which will reveal an otherwise inaccessible space. Your remote should be there.
thebigdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:53 AM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

I have a View 2018D
Unfortunately we have dropped several things in the space under the Murphy bed. Each time we have retrieved the item by reaching between the seat cushion and the back cushion and groping around until we felt it.
PZachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:22 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Lost Items

Thanks to all who have given advice on how to retrieve items dropped behind the Murphy bed.

It is very easy to leave something on the bed and then put the bed up. After having this experience I have tried to check the bed more carefully before I put it up but now that I know there is an access panel in the front pass through compartment I am not as worried if I make a mistake and drop something down behind the bed.

I do wonder why Winnebago did not put an access panel or door to the space under the bed inside the coach. There is a fair bit of room under there which basically is wasted space. I guess as suggested if you want to hide something in your coach you could open up the access panel and put the item(s) in there. The space is certainly not readily accessible and if you did not know where to look you would miss it.

Thanks again everyone and happy camping.
Bughawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:53 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

As stated before - we have a 2106 DS with murphy bed. Access to the area where thigs drop is thru a panel in the pass thru. It should be rather obvious as it sits in the way.
n9wdq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:18 PM   #26
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

In looking at your picture in Post#7, could you cut openings in the front panel below the bed and install doors back to cover the openings? You could use the removed material as panels on rail & style shaker doors, and thinking you should be able to closely match the colour for the door frames.
You might need add strength framing around the new door openings as I’m guessing that the front panel is structural strength for the bed and day couch.
If that won’t work how about opening up the end pillars? Maybe they’d make good acceptable storage and looks like you could use them when the bed is down?
Just spitballing here but we can always use more accessible storage space and this seems like an opportunity awaiting.

Yeah just what you need, another project idea.

Sorry just read Bughawks post #24. He’s asking why doesn’t Winnebago do exactly what I’m proposing you consider.
Looks to me that this might just be added to folks “to do next” mod list.
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote