Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2022, 07:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Driving on Deflated Airbags

Can I drive a short distance, like 50 feet, without air in my airbags? I need to fit under a 12’ door.

EDIT: After a bit of Googling it appears that the answer is “maybe.” Some folks do it all the time to get out of their garage. Trying to make the next exit on the highway appears to destroy the u-joints.
Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Yes, I have to deflate my air bags to fit into my 12' door. I get all lined up, then drop air and straight back at "garage speed." Once I'm lowered I can't turn my front wheels much without rubbing on the fenders, so getting lined up first is important for me. Freightliner customer support confirmed it shouldn't cause my rig any issues, but did stress not to try it for a freeway distance.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yes it puts the U-joints and yokes in a bind, once on an interstate my rear ride height linkage failed, air bags deflated. I realized it when I reached a small incline and the coach rear began jumping up/down rapidly.
I slowed to 45mph and limped to a nearby Petro truck stop. They had me back on the road in an hour w/ new linkage.
BTW, those same U-joints N yokes are still passing inspection 8 years later.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I found I have air bags, I did not know this. Because of these questions I went and looked in my manual, I do have. OH OH, how do I know if they are inflated? Where would I go to have them checked? I am now worried about this. Not knowing that I had them what kind of damage have I caused?
klancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
Can I drive a short distance, like 50 feet, without air in my airbags? I need to fit under a 12’ door.

EDIT: After a bit of Googling it appears that the answer is “maybe.” Some folks do it all the time to get out of their garage. Trying to make the next exit on the highway appears to destroy the u-joints.
I found I have air bags, I did not know this. Because of these questions I went and looked in my manual, I do have. OH OH, how do I know if they are inflated? Where would I go to have them checked? I am now worried about this. Not knowing that I had them what kind of damage have I caused?
Old 08-09-2022, 12:43 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by klancee View Post
Really need to know your specific year/make/model of RV.

I noticed in your profile you have a Minnie Winnie. You may have something different than we are discussing. We are talking about DPs with active air systems... compressor runs, raises the coach several inches, then when done a button push releases the air and lowers the body of the coach. It's obvious because (1) there is a control panel for this which usually includes the slide controls and jacks, and (2) you can visibly see the clearance difference in the wheel wells.

I'm wondering if what you are reading about is the more static airbag/spring system. With those you need to manually read and adjust the air pressure using a tire gauge and hose. Not sure but I think I've read that the fittings are in the rear passenger wheel well.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Really need to know your specific year/make/model of RV.

I noticed in your profile you have a Minnie Winnie. You may have something different than we are discussing. We are talking about DPs with active air systems... compressor runs, raises the coach several inches, then when done a button push releases the air and lowers the body of the coach. It's obvious because (1) there is a control panel for this which usually includes the slide controls and jacks, and (2) you can visibly see the clearance difference in the wheel wells.

I'm wondering if what you are reading about is the more static airbag/spring system. With those you need to manually read and adjust the air pressure using a tire gauge and hose. Not sure but I think I've read that the fittings are in the rear passenger wheel well.
Yes I think I am looking at the different air bags mine are what you explained and not for jacks. But to e fair the question was driving on deflated air bags. I still don't understand them and would like to post a question in a forum to see if I could get help but I can't figure out how to post to a forum thank you
Old 08-09-2022, 07:29 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Pick a forum (probably class C owners best for your question on your Minnie Winnie.)

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f265/

At the top left, a bit down, is a "New Thread" button right above the red bar. Be sure to give as much info as you can - year/make/model/floorplan/chassis for best responses.