Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Driver's Window Screen

We recently purchased a 2013 Itasca Meridian 34B. It did not come with a screen for the driver's sliding window. Found out yesterday from dealer that Winnebago advised him they not only do not provide such a screen, they do not even have a part number for one. He was astounded by that. A call from me to Winnebago customer administration confirmed this. Winnebago rep said they have been getting numerous complaints about this. Awaiting an email from customer admin with contact at window manufacturer and that manufacturer's part number for the window. I am hoping they can sell me a screen. The window definitely has a track where one would expect it for the screen. Sure would be handy at times to have a screen there. I have yet to find anyone at Winnebago that can explain why they would NOT furnish that screen as every other operable window in the coach has a screen. Seems like a very odd thing on a coach that retails for a quarter million dollars. Has anyone else encountered this same situation?
Floatsflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

You could always call the window manufacturer and see if they can provide one.
vtbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Wow...I bet they find you a screen!
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Most any real hardware store can make you one if you bring in the dimensions.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #5

It's too bad we don't have the same driver's window. We took ours off and have never put it back on. I think it's in our storage shed buried under a bunch of other junk. We find it distracting when driving. I also had to put a roll-up screen on the front screen door as it was even more distracting when driving. If we need to open the drivers' window while docked, we will open it just a crack.

I wonder if that's why Winnebago stopped including a screen on the driver's window because too many were taking them off to drive? But that doesn't make sense if you're saying that they are getting complaints. Who knows.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I know you can have them made at a screen repair shop. Had one made for our stick house.

No difference that I can see from house to RV.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #7

We didn't have our 13 Newmar a month before I removed both the drivers and passengers side window screens. I hate them as they blocked vision looking either way. We don't even have screens in the S and B as they block the view somewhat. I had new storm windows made that are solid one piece glass that can't even open. We never open the windows so no need for screens. And the one piece storm windows are quite and don't rattle in the wind. We have a much better view left and right now in the RV and at tole booths I only have to open the window and not some stupid screen. We never open the windows in the RV anyway as that's what AC is for. I guess Winnie has one thing up on Newmar!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Well it certainly is a divided camp. I have no faults, issues, or problems with anyone not wanting a screen, but I certainly enjoy having one. Took a quick trip from the DC area to central NC earlier this month for a funeral. On the way out, I removed the driver's screen because I was trying to track down the location of a window sqeak. Didn't get a chance to put it back in due to driving, and had to ride with driver's window closed until I did put it back in because the privacy curtain kept going out the window when I would open it (I like my window open when driving in pleasant temps).
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Interesting! Our 2010 Tour came with a screen. It doesn't slide like the drivers window does. That would make it much nicer. Right now is is held in with spring loaded pins which are pretty poor. You add me to the "not a fan category"! It doesn't fit all that well and is a pain to get in and out. I just leave it out when driving, especially if I anticipate a toll booth along the route.
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

2012 has a screen - funny they would delete it

Wow you paid 250K for a 34 footer -
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
We recently purchased a 2013 Itasca Meridian 34B. It did not come with a screen for the driver's sliding window. Found out yesterday from dealer that Winnebago advised him they not only do not provide such a screen, they do not even have a part number for one. He was astounded by that. A call from me to Winnebago customer administration confirmed this. Winnebago rep said they have been getting numerous complaints about this. Awaiting an email from customer admin with contact at window manufacturer and that manufacturer's part number for the window. I am hoping they can sell me a screen. The window definitely has a track where one would expect it for the screen. Sure would be handy at times to have a screen there. I have yet to find anyone at Winnebago that can explain why they would NOT furnish that screen as every other operable window in the coach has a screen. Seems like a very odd thing on a coach that retails for a quarter million dollars. Has anyone else encountered this same situation?
I have NEVER seen (as far back as I can remember) a car or RV sporting a screen on the driver's side window. Where am I wrong in my thinking?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy

I have NEVER seen (as far back as I can remember) a car or RV sporting a screen on the driver's side window. Where am I wrong in my thinking?
We have screens on both movable cockpit windows. I would miss them if I didn't have them.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for everyone's replies. I now have a better understanding what Winnebago might have been thinking by not even making it an option to have a screen on the 2013 coaches. Not to my liking, but to each his own. Our prior motorhome was a 2006 Holiday Rambler, which had a screen on the driver's window. Came in handy. Everyone has heard stories about Alaskan mosquitos being big enough carry off a man right? Well, I never personally witnessed a man being carried off. A small boy or two yes, but never a full grown human. Sitting in the coach with the window open, and screen closed, keeps those little bloodthirsty suckers out where they belong.

rream - STICKER was over $250k, but what we PAID was nowhere near that.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
Our screens are inside the windows. That may be why you haven't seen them.

If the screens were on the outside there would be problems with them blowing off, tearing,etc.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
It's too bad we don't have the same driver's window. We took ours off and have never put it back on. I think it's in our storage shed buried under a bunch of other junk. We find it distracting when driving. I also had to put a roll-up screen on the front screen door as it was even more distracting when driving. If we need to open the drivers' window while docked, we will open it just a crack.

I wonder if that's why Winnebago stopped including a screen on the driver's window because too many were taking them off to drive? But that doesn't make sense if you're saying that they are getting complaints. Who knows.

-harry
I'm in the same camp as those preferring not to have screens obscuring either the driver side or entry door windows. Both the DW and I prefer a clear view out both windows while traveling. On the rare occasions that I want to open the window while driving, I use a plastic woodworking spring clamp at the bottom of the curtain to keep the collapsed window treatment from being "sucked out" the open window.... which it most certainly will do!

I replaced the entry door screen with a clever retracting screen that installed in minutes with a few tools and can be retracted while traveling and lowered while parked. I discovered this improvement on this site but don't recall where I bought it. A search on this site will likely provide the source. It's a sweet device well worth the simple conversation.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We built a screen on the driver's door of our Adventurer because of a cat we had to keep inside when we wanted ventilation while parked. I had a window guy make me one that I velcroed in place. The first time out we went on a toll road and had to remove the screen to pay. So I went back to the window guy and had him make one with two sections that are hinged at the bottom. Painted the frame black and it looks like it was factory installed. We don't use it that often, but it gives us ventilation when we need it.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 03-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
I'm in the same camp as those preferring not to have screens obscuring either the driver side or entry door windows. Both the DW and I prefer a clear view out both windows while traveling. On the rare occasions that I want to open the window while driving, I use a plastic woodworking spring clamp at the bottom of the curtain to keep the collapsed window treatment from being "sucked out" the open window.... which it most certainly will do!

I replaced the entry door screen with a clever retracting screen that installed in minutes with a few tools and can be retracted while traveling and lowered while parked. I discovered this improvement on this site but don't recall where I bought it. A search on this site will likely provide the source. It's a sweet device well worth the simple conversation.

cheers,
Joopy

Yes, we do the same ...clip the drapes back by a clamp as we both like to have the window cracked a bit when driving. In fact, even in cold weather, I personally like to have the window open several inches when driving.

We also use a roll-up door screen for as you say, we like to have a clear view out the entry door when driving. We bought ours at 3-Ts, maybe that's the one you have too? ==click

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

We have a screen (made by a local window company) on the drivers door window. It's great in the spring and fall when you can leave the windows open. It allows air to circulate through the cab area it keeps the temperatures down. It does have some disadvantages though.

It's of little use when the temperatures are in the 80's or warmer. The windows are shut and the AC is working.

It's hard to see through under certain lighting conditions, and has to be removed anytime you go through toll booth, or check into a campground. Also you have to find a place to store it when it's not in use.

We're expecting our new Adventurer to be delivered in about a week. If it doesn't come with a drivers window screen from the factory we'll probably have one made. The last one cost less than $20.00 and I wouldn't expect the new one to be much more expensive. It's a nice convenience but far from a necessity.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

For any one interested in talking to outfit that manufactures driver's window for Winnebago, here is what I got from Customer Admin:

We get that window from SE-GI. You can reach them at 951-737-8320. The vender part # is 50519.73.15L. I hope this info helps.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
We also use a roll-up door screen for as you say, we like to have a clear view out the entry door when driving. We bought ours at 3-Ts, maybe that's the one you have too? ==click

-harry
Wow, that price has gone up! I paid about $110 plus shipping from 3-Ts back in April 2006.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window