Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Driver Window Leak

I noticed when it rained today that water was getting into the driver window track and leaking inside. The roof gutter ends about mid window and dumps water down the side and into the window track. With a lot of rain it fills the track and leaks inside. One thought would be to drill a weep hole, but not sure how close the glass is to the channel. Or should I look at extending the gutter out or further down the side to clear the window.

Appreciate any thoughts or experiences.

Thanks,

Fred

2014 Meridian 34B
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

So I found that there actually are weep holes on the window frame. Just didn't see them in the down pour. I guess I was more focussed on the water streaming down the window. Cleaned them out and things seem to be fine now.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
So I found that there actually are weep holes on the window frame. Just didn't see them in the down pour. I guess I was more focussed on the water streaming down the window. Cleaned them out and things seem to be fine now.
If you clean them all out, there should be wind covers that clip on each drain to keep the wind sound down, there is a right and left cover.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Gutter extensions

Glad you found your solution. I found the Winne gutters the worst thing since the Hair Wiz... Since my winnie gutters aren't compatible with the standard gutter spouts they sell in the RV shops I clip wooden clothes pegs on the end of the gutters and worked them so that the water dripped down them and away from the rig. That way the water didn't leave any streaks on the unit. And for the most part they even stay when driving. My unit is 38' so there are a couple of joints in the gutters and the water will drip from them in the worst of spots, that takes a bit more creativity and a few more clothes pegs.
PolarMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago's suggested fix for me.

I had this same problem on my 2011 Itasca Sunova. I contacted Winnebago and they told me to drill two holes in the window frame. I was skeptical, but I did as instructed, problem solved. Interestingly, I drilled only one window to see if it would stop the leak on that side (both were leaking). It did, but the other side stopped also so I never drilled that window. Weird.

Here is their response for your information.

PS, just to be clear, you only drill through the outside of the frame. Do not pass all the way through to the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot_20181218094224.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	170705  
Old 12-26-2018, 11:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
If you clean them all out, there should be wind covers that clip on each drain to keep the wind sound down, there is a right and left cover.
2 stroker
I can picture what you described, but I don't see anything like that on the frame. The previous owners may have removed them. I'll look into replacements.

Thanks,

Fred
Old 12-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarMike View Post
Glad you found your solution. I found the Winne gutters the worst thing since the Hair Wiz... Since my winnie gutters aren't compatible with the standard gutter spouts they sell in the RV shops I clip wooden clothes pegs on the end of the gutters and worked them so that the water dripped down them and away from the rig. That way the water didn't leave any streaks on the unit. And for the most part they even stay when driving. My unit is 38' so there are a couple of joints in the gutters and the water will drip from them in the worst of spots, that takes a bit more creativity and a few more clothes pegs.
Thanks for the tip. I've seen that referenced, and since I couldn't find anything to fit the gutter either, I'll give this a try.

Thanks again,

Fred
Old 12-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorytug View Post
I had this same problem on my 2011 Itasca Sunova. I contacted Winnebago and they told me to drill two holes in the window frame. I was skeptical, but I did as instructed, problem solved. Interestingly, I drilled only one window to see if it would stop the leak on that side (both were leaking). It did, but the other side stopped also so I never drilled that window. Weird.

Here is their response for your information.

PS, just to be clear, you only drill through the outside of the frame. Do not pass all the way through to the inside.
It looks like you have a clerestory window above the slider, so that makes sense to get trapped water out of it. Probably no more water getting in than the one weep hole can drain. I imagine that if you get into a bigger or longer lasting rain you might find you'll need the other one though.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Fred

Tags
driver, leak, window