Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-16-2021, 06:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Driver side slide fully extended while driving

I'm processing this event as I type. Just got home from our first trip in our new-to-us 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J. On the return trip home yesterday, about 20 minutes after leaving the campsite, our dog came up shaking. We couldn't figure out what was up, and then in looking in the driver's side side view mirror I noticed I couldn't see behind us. I first noticed that one of the bin doors was open on the driver's side, then I noticed that the driver's side slide was completely extended into oncoming traffic (we were on a 2 lane highway in the Outer Banks).

I immediately pulled over, tried to retract the slide but there was no power to the panel. I called the previous owner for ideas, but thankfully, a good Samaritan stopped who was also a camper and together with large trucks and other traffic going by cranked in the slide manually.

My kids were sitting on the slide, they didn't notice which is another story, but I feel very, very, very lucky.

Two 40 amp fuses were tripped underneath which I reset, but I am still getting nothing from that slide panel. I tried to reset it using a pencil and enter it into manual mode, but nothing.

I will say when it did operate, I noticed flashing lights after the slide was retracted (generally indicating an error). Everything seemed to function fine, so I didn't put much stock in it. I think it flashed about 3 times. I looked in the supplemental owners manual for clues, but since it no longer works at all, I can't see how many flashes it was blinking.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? I assume when it slid out, it didn't do it with power otherwise I (think) I would have heard it, but then again how/why would the fuses have tripped. I believe this slide mechanism is manufactured by Kwikee. I will call them on Monday, but I have time this weekend to dig into this, so if anyone has any suggestions of what to do to get this functioning again, would love to hear them. Also, if anyone has any ideas of how this could happen, would love to hear that too since I seriously would not like to go through that again and will setup some slide locks to keep it from creeping in the future.

Sorry for the long post and thank you all for looking.
RamblinFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:43 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Can’t help you on this one. But you dodged a bullet for sure. Hope your dog got a well deserved treat...
Old 06-03-2021, 07:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Would love know what you find out on this.
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Section 10-1 of the manual seems to address a lock rod. Was it in place while driving?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, slide