Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2007, 04:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I am having problems getting my drawer latches to hold on a couple of drawers which are carrying heavy items such as pots and pans and some can goods. Has anyone found a better latch that I could mail order or get at a HW store? I tried adjusting the latches to no avail. I tried the big magnet ones and they did not improve it. I would prefer not going the "child proof" latch but if I have to I will.
Any suggestions or am I alone in this issue? I do not have the upright can goods setup as I have the 4 door refridge so i have to put the can goods in a drawer (under the refridge).
Thanks for your help -- Frank O.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I am having problems getting my drawer latches to hold on a couple of drawers which are carrying heavy items such as pots and pans and some can goods. Has anyone found a better latch that I could mail order or get at a HW store? I tried adjusting the latches to no avail. I tried the big magnet ones and they did not improve it. I would prefer not going the "child proof" latch but if I have to I will.
Any suggestions or am I alone in this issue? I do not have the upright can goods setup as I have the 4 door refridge so i have to put the can goods in a drawer (under the refridge).
Thanks for your help -- Frank O.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Check with your Winny dealer, I had to replace one also. They have a higher pull rated latch.
It worked for me.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

As already mentioned, there are at least two different "pull strength" latches that look identical.

Some other suggestions: On one large drawer, our dealer put two latches -- one toward each side. On a couple of drawers, we added velcro on each side.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Frank,

I too had two drawers that were opening up while traveling down the road. Took it into the dealer and they replaced the "#5 catches" with "#15 catches". They are a bit larger and hold much better. On the drive home nothing opened up so I am hoping that solved my problem.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I had to replace a couple of mine that got bent when the flimsy wood support broke.

I ordered them online from Houck Industries. Be sure that you get the RV specific stuff.

No problems with the stuff that I got from them.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I had the same problem and my dealer installed two latches. No problem since. He said this was very common.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Had the same problem on my old coach. I put a small hook and eye screen door type latch, You can purchase these that are a very small size. We just hooked when traveling. It was at the edge of the pot and pan drawer and not noticeable.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Used heavy duty velcro..can't be seen and it works for me...no drawers sliding open now. The only one I had a real problem with was the one under the refrigerator. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

All great suggestions. I would like to install a heavy duty version of the latch already installed. I like the Velcro. Did you used the sticky back velcro and how big a patch did you used. i would think that if you use too big a patch that the Velcro would pull off the wood. I would rather not install the Hook/Eye type on the outside of the drawer if I can avoid it. Looked at the Houck Latches which are similar to what you can get at the HW stores so i will look more thoroughly there.
I will try to fix this next time out to the storage yard but will not be driving it (test drive) until March/April. I will post what I did and how it held up.
Thanks -- Frank O.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Franko, My drawer had a "LIP" on it so it hides the Velcro very nicely.
I placed about a 2" strip on the frame and the 2" sister strip on the "lip" and when you close the drawer EUREKA.
The white Velcro is what I used and it holds very nicely.

Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote