Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My 04 Journey has developed a minor problem, but somewhat anoying, especially at O' dark thirty. The entry door sticks. A simple push will not open it, but a light kick on the screen door frame will free it. It's not a function of temperature. Without the jacks set to level, the door works fine. I'm probably only off by a thousandth of an inch or two but I can not see where it is binding. The screen door does not stick when operated with the entry door or independently. Has anybody else had this problem? How did you fix it?
Thanks,
Larry
Cat C-7 DP -- 2 slides -- computer table dinet -- full body paint -- Satellite Dish: Winegard Movin' View Dome -- Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD -- Aux Brake: none -- Tow Bar: Sterling All Terrain -- GPS: Garmin Street Pi
KE0M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My 04 Journey has developed a minor problem, but somewhat anoying, especially at O' dark thirty. The entry door sticks. A simple push will not open it, but a light kick on the screen door frame will free it. It's not a function of temperature. Without the jacks set to level, the door works fine. I'm probably only off by a thousandth of an inch or two but I can not see where it is binding. The screen door does not stick when operated with the entry door or independently. Has anybody else had this problem? How did you fix it?
Thanks,
Larry
Cat C-7 DP -- 2 slides -- computer table dinet -- full body paint -- Satellite Dish: Winegard Movin' View Dome -- Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD -- Aux Brake: none -- Tow Bar: Sterling All Terrain -- GPS: Garmin Street Pi
Old 02-23-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

At the top of this forum in BOLD is a section on Winnebago Service Tips. Under the 2003 model year there is a service tip on adjusting your door. It may provide some insight to your problem.

If this does not provide useful, I suggest calling Winnebago Customer Service and explain your problem to them. Sticking door doesn't sound good.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Larry ...

We have a 2004 Journey ... the entry door sticks occasionally ...

My "fix" is to use silicone ... I saturate a piece of paper towel with spray silicone ... then wipe the edge of the door with the wet paper towel ...

Works for us ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Skigramps - I've tried the silicone and it does help but it does not solve the problem. And, pusherman, I checked the web site and no refrence appears regarding chasis flex or door clearance or operation. I'm in Mexico for a couple of months so a call to the "Bago" tech support folks will have to wait. I am starting to suspect that only when the screen door locks to the entry door and it is properly sealed, it may be that the screen door is hanging up when trying to open both doors in tandem. I think I will try to adjust the clearances for how the screen door interlocks with the entry door prior to full closure. Unless someone has a better idea.

Thanks for your insight,
Larry
Old 02-24-2007, 03:22 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Look at the screen door latch mechanism. The rubber gasket around my screen door occassionally gets hung up behind the latch.

I've got to look at it a little closer but I think a small dose of razor blade might fix it.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

One more thing to mull over...

Our auto-leveling HWH system occasionally gets out of whack - the level sensors in the control box must vibrate a little over time and the system tries to level to the sensors that are off level.

So after doing an auto level, our coach winds up off-kilter which could flex the frame/house.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Larry ...

My screen door used to get hung up too ... I studied the situation and decided that the screen door needed some adjustment because it was getting hung up on the rubber moulding ... I don't recall exactly how I did it but it did involve the use of some force on the hinge area ...

I think my screen door got sprung when the wind pulled the door and the screen door out of my hands when I was in a state where the wind always blows ... (the name of the state starts with W and ends with G)
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

IT'S FIXED! Thanks guys. I adjusted how the entry door was hung. No help. I adjusted how the screen door was hung. No help. I discovered that the screen door worked correctly when used independently, and the entry door worked correctly when used independently. It was only when the screen door was latched to the entry door that it hung up. Finally, adjusting the position of the fixed latch post on the entry door (the one that pushes into the screen door openening mechanism) did it work correctly. That fixed door latch post must not only hold the screen door to the entry door, it must also keep the screen door latch sufficiently retracted so it does not engage when both doors are closed together. I hope my frustration in discovering the solution can help someone down the road when it happens to them. Thanks again, all of you.

Best regards,
Larry