Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Door rattle

For the past 2 years I have been attempting to solve a rattle in the entry door of my 06 Journey and after the usual fixes, striker etc. have concluded that the rattle is the outer door skin hitting the inner frame. A thread search has confirmed that this must be it.

Has anyone figured out how to reattach the skin or get some type adhesive between the two surfaces without removing all of the rivits and the entire outer skin? I am really afraid of damaging the outer skin and or paint. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I start drilling rivits or get a bigger amplifier for the radio.
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Can you access it by removing some of the inner panels? I had to change the deadbolt in my entry door. While removing the inside panels I could see the frame and outer skin is some areas. Might be enough access to allow you to squirt adhesive.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Well, after removing the inside plastic panel and finding no access to the outer skin and looking at the problem for hours I finally figured out how to solve the issue. From inside the door, I drilled a 1/2 inch hole slowly through the inside door skin so I didn't hit the outer skin. There was approximately 3/16 of an inch void between the inner and outer skin. I pumped a tube of silicone into the hole I drilled that bonded both the inner door skin and the outer skin together. Right now it is a rock, we will see the next time we travel. Hope this solution helps someone else, it will sure help me maintain my driving sanity.
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPD View Post
Well, after removing the inside plastic panel and finding no access to the outer skin and looking at the problem for hours I finally figured out how to solve the issue. From inside the door, I drilled a 1/2 inch hole slowly through the inside door skin so I didn't hit the outer skin. There was approximately 3/16 of an inch void between the inner and outer skin. I pumped a tube of silicone into the hole I drilled that bonded both the inner door skin and the outer skin together. Right now it is a rock, we will see the next time we travel. Hope this solution helps someone else, it will sure help me maintain my driving sanity.
Well I was close to half right , in that it could be done from the inside.

Glad you got it fixed. Let us now how it works rolling down the road.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have an 06 Journey and had the same problem. It sounded like the door and I was sure that's where it was. I lubed and adjusted. It drove me nuts for weeks. I finally found it. In my case it was in the wall right behind the door. I pulled everything off that inside wall section I could including the long vertical brace for the shoulder harness. The noise was coming from between the wall panel, wall studs and harness brace all moving on each other. I filled the wall cavity with spray foam and put everything back together before the foam set up. It's been over a year with no noise.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

On our 04 Journey, the door latch rattles sometimes. I, too, dismantled everything, had DW drive it and I crawled all around the step area, removed stuff, put it back, etc. I ended up putting a little white grease on the bolt/latch and it solved the problem. When it starts up again, I just lube it again. I've adjusted the bolt latch but that didn't help any either.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have a 39K also, and my door made noise. In my case, it was the outer lower sheet metal hitting the bottom of the inner door frame. I drilled two small holes either side of center, from the bottom lip up into the inner frame. Installed self tapping screws. The door is now quiet.
Eric Hennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I had a similar problem on my Vectra which I fixed: Fixed Vectra Entry Door Rattle .

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Good ideas, guys. Will pack in my memory for future problems with the door. Eric, what year 39K do you have? I am always interested in 39K owners as there does not appear to be a lot of us out there. I am always open for improvement suggestions/modifications, etc. 1ciderdog has an 04 39K just like ours so we have been comaring similar problems and fixes.

Tags
door