Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I'm dealing with an issue with my Winnebago dealer right now. They are telling me that it's OK for the metal of the door on the top left(looking from the outside) to hit the metal on the door frame. They tell me that the doors are designed this way with a bow to create a seal.

I've also been told that they are not supposed to hit and are supposed to have a positive clearance all the way around and that over time this will cause other obvious problems with the door.

I took a walk through a Winnebago lot over the weekend opening and closing doors on similar coaches to get a feel and they all had a positive clearance and didn't hit. They all felt sturdy and strong while mine feels cheap and flimsy because of the way you have to really slam it to get it to shut

What I really need is some help from people out there with this type of entry door problem and what people have experienced over time when a door that hits metal on metal.

Please also post to this thread with what your clearance is on your door so I might have a better idea as to what's normal and that I may just have the wrong expectation as to the way a door should close.
SCREEN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I'm dealing with an issue with my Winnebago dealer right now. They are telling me that it's OK for the metal of the door on the top left(looking from the outside) to hit the metal on the door frame. They tell me that the doors are designed this way with a bow to create a seal.

I've also been told that they are not supposed to hit and are supposed to have a positive clearance all the way around and that over time this will cause other obvious problems with the door.

I took a walk through a Winnebago lot over the weekend opening and closing doors on similar coaches to get a feel and they all had a positive clearance and didn't hit. They all felt sturdy and strong while mine feels cheap and flimsy because of the way you have to really slam it to get it to shut

What I really need is some help from people out there with this type of entry door problem and what people have experienced over time when a door that hits metal on metal.

Please also post to this thread with what your clearance is on your door so I might have a better idea as to what's normal and that I may just have the wrong expectation as to the way a door should close.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I had to close my Horizon door pretty hard to get it closed all the way. Had to be firm a puny closure and it rattled. Of course there is always the trick of two wraps of electrical tape on the keeper or even maybe if you don't have it get the keeper with the coating seems to help. If under warranty and you don't like it ,,,yell loud and hard and make them fix it.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:27 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I've seen your post on another forum, but haven't seen the replies there.

Have you taken the time to call Winnebago yet? Some dealers are great, others flat out suck. Call Winnebago and ask them what is "normal" and what isn't they can then assist you in working with your dealer or another.

Phone and emails are listed at the top of this forum under "Ever Wonder WHO to Call at Winnebago?"

Good luck!
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

It sounds like to me your dealer is having a little "fun" with you and attempting to avoid repairing a problem.

This would be like your home builder telling you your sticky front door is designed that way to prevent/avoid/enhance ______________ (fill in the blank with a semi-believable phrase.)

I never cease to be amazed at the stories that sometimes come out of the mouths of dealers and service people because they are: lazy, ignorant, or at the worst - intentionally deceiving. I'm not just talking about the RV industry - this has happened to me in a variety of situations and products.

The onus is on the consumer/customer to be as well informed as possible and if something doesn't quite pass the "sanity test", do some investigation just like you are doing. Good for you for being skeptical .

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Call and ask the people that made the motorhome, they are very helpful.

Service Administration-... 1-800-537-1885
For information about your current Winnebago
Industries motor home, service or dealer inquiries

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have no metal to metal contact on the main door. If all windows and vents are closed it does take a slam to shut because of the air pressure inside. My drivers door has no metal to metal contact when sitting still or on smooth roads. But on bumpy roads I do hear it bump metal to metal at times.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Here is a link to door adjustments. It was taken from the Service tips on the opening page of this forum. It is from a 2003 model year, I don't know if it relevant to newer models. http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/service/pdfs/2003...oor%20Adjustment.pdf

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 04-25-2007, 04:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

You should have no metal to metal contact. Among other things, you will have noise going down the road. I actually had the Winnebago factory folks take a large hammer to my door frame to adjust it (what we used to call a 'brogan adjustment' in the service). The door keeper may also need ajustment to make the door close and latch properly.

Robb & Sue Steinheider
03 Ultimate Advantage
02 Saturn L100 Toad
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Let's see, you have established from the 70 plus post from the forum that:
You should not have metal against metal on the closing of your door.
You have established that 40 MH's that you inspected, the doors did not close like yours
You have established that your current dealer will not/cannot fix the problem.
You have established that there is another dealer 40 miles away that you could take it to.
You have established that you will not try any of the suggested methods to fix your door as you are under warranty. Many of the suggestions are the correct way to fix it, but you won't use them on a "brand new" MH under warranty. ( I see another lager hammer post here as well )
You have established that Winnebago does not make house calls.
You have established that many others have had a door closing problem, myself included, and what we did to correct the problem.

So after a month of beating the door problem to death, you could take a nice trip to Forrest City Iowa and talk with those in charge and have it fixed correctly. After all it is under warranty.

You could go to a dealer in your area that is capable of fixing the door and have it fixed. What else is left? Have you come up with any other solutions to the problem? Doing a poll on the forums is not going to get your door fixed unless you know something I don't.

I will be anxious to hear what you finally did to correct the problem, be sure to let us know.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brobox:
You have established that 40 MH's that you inspected, the doors did not close like yours
You have established that there is another dealer 40 miles away that you could take it to.
You have established that you will not try any of the suggested methods to fix your door as you are under warranty. Many of the suggestions are the correct way to fix it, but you won't use them on a "brand new" MH under warranty. ( I see another lager hammer post here as well )
You have established that many others have had a door closing problem, myself included, and what we did to correct the problem.

So after a month of beating the door problem to death, you could take a nice trip to Forrest City Iowa and talk with those in charge and have it fixed correctly. After all it is under warranty.

You could go to a dealer in your area that is capable of fixing the door and have it fixed. What else is left? Have you come up with any other solutions to the problem? Doing a poll on the forums is not going to get your door fixed unless you know something I don't.

I will be anxious to hear what you finally did to correct the problem, be sure to let us know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 04-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brobox:

I will be anxious to hear what you finally did to correct the problem, be sure to let us know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And your point is? LOL!

Seriously...if this thread bothers you enough to the point of putting together this crazy post of redundant points you should probably think about ignoring it because it's seems like you're getting too worked up. I can just picture what you must look like while you're typing it up

Keep smilin' and everyone else remember: postive ideas are always welcome in this open forum!
Old 04-26-2007, 12:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Yup, its been fixed at least 10 times.
We could hijack the thread and talk about staying at Wal-Mart. LOL
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:18 AM   #14

As reported earlier, most of us suggested to call Winnebago with the problem. I still suggest that. I would also suggest that you should adjust the striker....

Our door does hit the metal edge at the top left...just barely. And yes, the door is bowed somewhat to latch correctly. I did install some extra weatherstrip along the edge which does eliminate the wind noise and takes a harder shove to complete the latch.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote