Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-02-2021, 03:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Door not latching

There has been an ongoing issue with the door not latching unless someone leans on it from the outside, or yanks hard enough to loosen the handle on the inside. Any ideas how I can fix the fit of my door latch? I thought the issue was with the door mechanism its self, but replacing it did not resolve the issue.

Neither the deadbolt, nor the latch lock will engage because the door will not shut tight enough.

If the door latch passes the secondary plate, then the door will lock, otherwise the deadbolt will not line up correctly, and the back plate holds the latch partially open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210402_142250.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	178192   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210402_142308.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	178193  

theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:56 PM   #2

Please post a picture of the door lock from the front and let us know the model if you can?

If it looks like this Trimark 030-900 Lock I can send you more information, but I think you might have a different type of lock. TBD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark's Door Lock Tri-Mark 030-900.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	178195  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:24 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post
There has been an ongoing issue with the door not latching unless someone leans on it from the outside, or yanks hard enough to loosen the handle on the inside. Any ideas how I can fix the fit of my door latch? I thought the issue was with the door mechanism its self, but replacing it did not resolve the issue.

Neither the deadbolt, nor the latch lock will engage because the door will not shut tight enough.

If the door latch passes the secondary plate, then the door will lock, otherwise the deadbolt will not line up correctly, and the back plate holds the latch partially open.
We’ve had what I think is a similar issue, and what I did was adjust the strike plate on the door frame. I noticed that if we were off level it can be worse, and make quite a racket closing the door. Silicon lube helped too...
Old 04-02-2021, 10:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
Please post a picture of the door lock from the front and let us know the model if you can?

If it looks like this Trimark 030-900 Lock I can send you more information, but I think you might have a different type of lock. TBD.

It is the CLASS C/A RIGHT HAND RVLOCK KEYLESS ENTRY DOOR HANDLE from rvlock.com.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:36 PM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I was editing my post, and it timed out...

We’ve had what I think is a similar issue, and what I did was adjust the strike plate on the door frame. I also used a Dremel to shave some of the areas off that were causing it to stick.
Did you install an RV lock? FYI, I noticed that if we were off level it can be worse, and make quite a racket closing the door. Silicon lube helped too...
Old 04-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I guess I will dremel more of the metal away to move the striker plate farther out. Removed some, but it was not enough.

Tags
door