Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Door handle stuck

HELP

We are in a National Park in Utah (the boonies) and this afternoon the handle on our main door froze. It will not turn up or down to unlock the door. We took the whole thing apart, put it back together several times but nothing has changed.The part that is on the inside of the door cannot be removed. Basically we are now locked in our Motorhome with no facility for repair anywhere close.(yes we can use the drivers door but it is very inconvenient.) Cell phones(Verizon) do not work. Thankfully the camping has wifi so I can send out this cry for help!
We are on our way to Albuquerque for the Balloon festival but that is still 2 1/2 weeks away. (Home is Florida)
We have a 03 Adventurer 33V that has served us very well up to this year. We have had to replace several major items. The door handle may be the next item but where do we find one now as we are moving around southern Utah?
Any suggestions are welcome!
Old 09-15-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Door handle stuck

Remove the complete door handle assembly and check that the locking mechanism is functioning. Manually work the linkage to se if it will open.
From when outside it seems as though it is locked correct?
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

A lock smith should be able help you. Is it the handle lock or the dead bolt?
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Several years ago on a 2000 model if I remember right had a similar problem. But if I read you right you can not open the door from inside or out. Mine there was a opening about 3/4" covered by a rubber or vinyl plug in the door edge (but you have to be able to open the door to get at it). remove the plug and there is a adjustment nut within (7/16" comes to mind) I think a deep well socket is needed. If you can get to it try turning it a turn or 2 in one direction to see if that helps, if not turn the other way. Maybe if you can contact Winnebago or or one of their dealers they can help. Lichtsinn Motors at 1-800-343-6255 might be a good start or look them up online.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Door handle stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo View Post
Several years ago on a 2000 model if I remember right had a similar problem. But if I read you right you can not open the door from inside or out. Mine there was a opening about 3/4" covered by a rubber or vinyl plug in the door edge (but you have to be able to open the door to get at it). remove the plug and there is a adjustment nut within (7/16" comes to mind) I think a deep well socket is needed. If you can get to it try turning it a turn or 2 in one direction to see if that helps, if not turn the other way. Maybe if you can contact Winnebago or or one of their dealers they can help. Lichtsinn Motors at 1-800-343-6255 might be a good start or look them up online.

I remember that thread as well. Here's a pic of the bolt. ( it's towards the bottom ) It is a 7/16 and does require a deep socket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1410785763.651515.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	887.2 KB
ID:	73880

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:05 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Here's a link to another thread which may assist.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/entr...elp-83789.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

door handle stuck

Good news.
Thank you for the informative answers. We did take off the black round stop in the door and adjusted the nut but that did not fix it. it did make the inside handle almost open the door so with a hard pull we could get out the door. The black outside handle was still "lame".
We drove to Blanding UT , a small town of less than 5000 people where I found a garage that might be of help.They were too busy but called some one who might be of help. That guy knew someone who works for himself and is very mechanical. The garage called him and he came to our campsite ½ hour later !!!
The nut in the side of the door kept us from taking the inside part of the lock out of the door but he took he nut off and took the inside and outside of the whole locking/handle mechanism out. By putting the two parts together away from the door he noticed that one of the metal plates inside was bent. That is why the black handle could not make the contact to open the door. This may have been happening over the years. he did not know why it was like that.
A quick trip to his truck and some magic made the plate work as designed and within 15 minutes all was well again!!
This is not something we could have found since we were afraid to take the inside part out since we could see it was screwed into the side of the door.
So.. we learned from all you guys and are grateful that in this little town we found a bunch of people who helped us.
We are off to natural Bridges and Monument Valley... no wifi or phone...Hope all will stay well.

Tags
door