Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Door Awning

Well I messed up and left the door awning out in travel.
Wind shredded the thing.
Its a power awning, so I believe you must use the fabric with the vinyl on both sides because it appears that it rubs on the extending brackets when moving in, or out.
All I can find is that A&E was bought by Dometic.
I'm not sure of the size, maybe 43" wide.
I do have the A&E model #, and that should tell the size.
Where would I look for a replacement?
The arms are spring loaded, so the fabric attached to the outboard end hold the
awning in. Right now with most of fabric removed, the arm is all the way out.
Any ideas where to look for replacement?
Thanks,
Lee
staggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Any ideas?
I would like to do the replacement myself if possible
Old 10-11-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Door Awning

I'm not sure I posted this properly.
Its my first time trying to start a post.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Try googling replacement rv awning fabric. I will look for you.

It would help if we knew what kind of rig you have.
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerlee View Post
I'm not sure I posted this properly.
Its my first time trying to start a post.
Use the "User CP" above to publish a signature with your RV info to help us help you in a better way. Your OP is fine in this case. Try this website and put the model information in the search box: https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/support. Somewhere in this site is everything you need to know about your awning.

Rick Y
Old 10-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I did fill out info on a page.
But we have new to us 2002 Journey.
330 Cat dp.
3 ac units, 2 on roof, the central, plus dash air. Trying to get it where its trust worthy.
It came with NO Service records at all.
I have a Folder that I have started my own. Already changed the air filter on the main engine. Generator and fluids are next, with filters.
Also want to install a sway bar to the rear if thats what its called.
Thanks for the replies.
Lee
Old 10-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

You may want to try Fiamma USA. It is my understanding they made your awning and A E / Dometic rebadged them.

Their number is: *(407) 672-0091‬.

Just have your model number when you call. I priced them over Dometic and it was half the price.

Good luck.
LPD218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I did see those letters on one of the castings.
Thanks for all the replies.
The Dometic site wasn't a lot of help, because its all about the full awning.
I am just needing the short one over the door.
Lee
Old 10-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I did fill out info on a page.
But we have new to us 2002 Journey.
330 Cat dp.
3 ac units, 2 on roof, the central, plus dash air. Trying to get it where its trust worthy.
It came with NO Service records at all.
I have a Folder that I have started my own. Already changed the air filter on the main engine. Generator and fluids are next, with filters.
Also want to install a sway bar to the rear if thats what its called.
Thanks for the replies.
Lee
Lee, your efforts are all good. I suggest new Bastien shocks over the sway bar. (Bilstein shocks and struts for cars and trucks - Shockwarehouse.com) It can be a bit of a trick finding the correct part number but the folks at this place will help you. Also, the Blue Ox TruCenter is another great addition to the Freightliner chassis. I did these upgrades to my coach and it handles much better now.

Don't forget to change the transmission filters, service the water separator for the air breaks, bleed off the tanks with the manual drains and check the date code of the tires. I, as many others have, have switched away from Michelin and gone to Toyo (M154 16 ply) tires. The size tire available is not exact but the replacement size will work just fine.

I hope you have many good adventures in your new to you Adventure,

(Sorry about picking to wrong website for the awning. Go with the info LPD218 provided.)

Rick Y
Old 10-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Don't forget to change the transmission filters, service the water separator for the air breaks, bleed off the tanks with the manual drains and check the date code of the tires. I, as many others have, have switched away from Michelin and gone to Toyo (M154 16 ply) tires. The size tire available is not exact but the replacement size will work just fine.

(Sorry about picking to wrong website for the awning. Go with the info LPD218 provided.)

Rick Y[/QUOTE]

Thank you, this is the kind of info I need.
It has new Toyo M154 ( e balance ?) 245/75 R22.5 (134/131?)
Not sure about plys.
I also now have a new air filter @ $270.00.
Cheaper than a dealer @ $300.00 just for the filter.

I want to go through everything before we head out west.
It will probably have to wait till next year. I need to get acquainted with this new to us machine.
Years ago we had a class A gasser. It was easier to work on, but I was able to work on it back then.
Thanks,
Lee
Old 10-14-2017, 11:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Rick Y
Thank you, this is the kind of info I need.
It has new Toyo M154 ( e balance ?) 245/75 R22.5 (134/131?)
Not sure about plys.
I also now have a new air filter @ $270.00.
Cheaper than a dealer @ $300.00 just for the filter.

I want to go through everything before we head out west.
It will probably have to wait till next year. I need to get acquainted with this new to us machine.
Years ago we had a class A gasser. It was easier to work on, but I was able to work on it back then.
Thanks,
Lee[/QUOTE]

This is a small tire and turns 561 revs per mile (https://www.toyotires.com/commercial...-position-tire). It is a 14 ply/G rating. By weighing the 4 corners of your coach you can find the best minimum psi per axle. I hope you are running well below the sidewall Max PSI. One of the reasons I changed my tires is because, out of the factory door, I was running max load/psi for the Michelin's. Besides, they had started to crack after 5 years. Toyo has a good reputation and is much less money.

Many service parts, filters, etc, can be found on Amazon. But always look for the best price. Even ebay will have pleasant surprises from time to time.

A word about the air filter. I had a conversation (email) with Raycor about shelf and service life of the air filter. 3 years on the shelf and 7 years in service is what they recommend. Freightliner says every 3 years. Big bucks for them.

I see, by your closing comment, that doing much of your own service is not as easy as it once was. Oh, how well I understand.

I hope the fuel filters are repetitively handy. Keep an eye on the water separator and always get your fuel from a good and busy station. I like to use Costco when I can. Good price and less money.

If you are going to travel east and west mountains you might consider the Mountain Directory Mountain Directory for Truckers, RV, and Motorhome Drivers. You can find some great scenic routs the truckers use and know the grade and condition of the roads. The West directory saved me some harry driving when I went to Yellowstone a few months back.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 10-14-2017, 08:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Boy, your rig sounds so much like ours. We bought our 2005 in 2013. It has most of the books on the stuff in the rig but absolutely no service records. We had to do all the maintenance stuff so we could get a extended warranty. So glad that we did. Our driver side slide was a problem from day one. We had the pads replaced in 2016 and just had them replaced again last week. We think there was a major problem when the first owners had it (we are number 2) but the problem was not addressed properly. Now it has been fixed by the Winnebago factory finally.
One of the great things about our rig is that it had brand spankin new tires on it when we bought it. That in itself could have been a big expense in the beginning.
I hope you are able to find your awning fabric for your door. We almost drove away once with ours open but we were flagged down by some folks on the way out of an rv park.
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinreddin View Post
Boy, your rig sounds so much like ours. It has most of the books on the stuff in the rig but absolutely no service records. We had to do all the maintenance stuff so we could get a extended warranty. So glad that we did.
One of the great things about our rig is that it had brand spankin new tires on it when we bought it.
I hope you are able to find your awning fabric for your door. We almost drove away once with ours open but we were flagged down by some folks on the way out of an rv park.
This bag is full of info, just need time to absorb it all.
I did pay over 5K for a 3 year warranty. Not sure how well they are going to stand behind that. But it is supposed to be a popular one.

They told me by phone that the tires were Old. Bought out of state in Texas.
When I got there the tires were very shiny and clean looking.
When I mentioned tires the best they could do was if I would pay 1K for new ones. This is adding up.

Have to wait till Mon. to do some calling. Also going to get my credit union to finance this thing. I already got a first payment on Wed. and it was due Fri.
I did call them, and asked them what are they trying to do.
I'm going to get rid of them so I don't have any hassle like that again.
I will have this paid off in no time anyway.
Meanwhile I seen the fiver I traded in, and they just added 10K on what they offered me on trade in.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPD218 View Post
You may want to try Fiamma USA. It is my understanding they made your awning and A E / Dometic rebadged them.

Their number is: *(407) 672-0091‬.

Just have your model number when you call. I priced them over Dometic and it was half the price.

Good luck.
Thanks, I did call them, the last number is supposed to be a 3 instead of a 1.
They are kind of messed up right now because most all of management was killed.
A disgruntled employee came in with a gun, and told ( Pattie ) to "Get Out Now".
She froze, she thought she would get shot in the back, He told her a second time and she still couldn't move.
He put the gun to her nose, and told her again.
I guess thats when she defrosted, and ran.

He then proceeded to go get the ones he wanted.
She did send me a drawing that wasn't a lot of help.
It said right on there 03 and newer. It was an exploded view of the workings, but not the fabric.
And no part names either.

It appears Florida is a wild place.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks, I did call them, the last number is supposed to be a 3 instead of a 1.
They are kind of messed up right now because most all of management was killed.
A disgruntled employee came in with a gun, and told ( Pattie ) to "Get Out Now".
She froze, she thought she would get shot in the back, He told her a second time and she still couldn't move.
He put the gun to her nose, and told her again.
I guess thats when she defrosted, and ran.

He then proceeded to go get the ones he wanted.
She did send me a drawing that wasn't a lot of help.
It said right on there 03 and newer. It was an exploded view of the workings, but not the fabric.
And no part names either.

It appears Florida is a wild place.
What a sad posting. What are we, as a people, becoming? When did we get permission, even in the small percentage of this society, to respond to discipline with murderous revenge? Made in the USA is taking on a new meaning.

Try this page: https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/sea...ing&st=support

Look at each of the awnings and pick the one closes to your model. Though more money, I prefer the cloth over vinyl. Vinyl allows water to condense under to material and you get rained on. If you can get the old stuff off you can take it to any awning shop and they will get a new cover made for you.

Rick Y
Old 10-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I like the cloth too. We had it on the last fiver we had.
The door awning has arms that would rub across the surface of the awning it appears to me. So it would slide on the vinyl, but maybe rub a hole in the fabric. ????

) ( trying to show how extending arms fold in, and out.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Hey Lee. Here is a link to FCCC. https://www.fcccrv.com/parts-and-ser...s-maintenance/
See if this helps you find the tank lanyards. Calling them with your vin is also a good option.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
This is adding up.

Have to wait till Mon. to do some calling. Also going to get my credit union to finance this thing. I already got a first payment on Wed. and it was due Fri.
I did call them, and asked them what are they trying to do.
I'm going to get rid of them so I don't have any hassle like that again.
Finally got the papers I needed.
This state charged me late fees, and penalty.

They even charged me interest on the late fees. I'll be so happy when our present governor is gone.
But its all in state now where I have a little more control. Wonder if they will also tax that convenience?

Still have a leak up front when facing downhill in the driveway. Its ok if I pull in forwards, but can't reach the electric outlet on garage.
I believe the leak is on the Sat. TV. antenna next to the air horns.
Going to have to buy a scaffolding I guess.
I'll fall off a ladder.
Lee
Old 10-25-2017, 05:56 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Hey, Lee, I also have a '02 Journey with 330 HP Cat. Also came without service records. But I've done several things already to get it to where I know what's up. Check out my RV travel and service blog address in my sig. There's a RV repair section you might want to peruse.

The air filter on mine has a gage that's still reading in the green, and they can be good for 100K so I haven't changed it yet. My Journey has 77K on it. Looks like a DIY project to me.

Good luck, post on here and let us know when you get over in the west, I'll tell you stuff about where to stay, visit, and have service done.

O_o, forgot to tell you...there are several awning shops in Mesa, AZ. Just visit there when you're in the west and I'd bet they'll fix you up with awning material and repairs. I can't recommend any of them, never been to any but you can find online reviews.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, my filter gage was all the way up, so I know it must have been plugged up.
It doesn't run any better that I can tell, but I bet it uses less fuel.

I will check out your blog.
Lee

Tags
awning, door