Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Don't make the same mistake I did, FIX IT!

Ladies and Gents,
Since purchase of our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD about 10 months ago, we've acquired two rock chips in the windshield. The first, out in NM and when we parked in a camp ground in Albuquerque for the night, I had it fixed the next day for $75.00. The second chip, acquired about a week to two ago, on the way home from a local desert trip.

Well, I put off getting it fixed or, even fixing it myself because of a time frame/schedule and poor weather. I told myself I would fix it when we returned from Quartzite a day or so ago. Well, we washed the rig, put it in its place along side the house and I was going to buy a windshield repair kit today. I got up this morning and guess what? That chip, which was in the black band area, just above the plastic windshield garnish, a few inches to the left of the passenger wiper arm pivot, had ran about 10" long, straight up the windshield. Darn!!!!

Well, it's time to call someone to change that side out. We've got a $1000.00 deductible so, it's going to be a hard hit. So, my advice to any of you fellow RVrs out there, if you get a chip, FIX IT ASAP!!!!! Big mistake!
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Not such bad advise...... Thanks
chaperon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

In 2004 we made our way to Sturgis, South Dakota for the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. Myself and seven other motorhomes followed a route which took us on a section of highway 191 from Utah to Jackson, WY. As luck would have it, about 10 miles of Hwy 191 was being repaired and was little more or less than a dirt and rock road. Needless to say, several of our group suffered rock chipped windshields by the time we pulled into our campground in Jackson. The next morning I was able to locate the local windshield repair guy who was doing a Bang Up Business going from motorhome to motorhome repairing chips and dings. Luckily, none of us ended up with a crack bad enough that could not be repaired.

I could go on and tell you about the other two windshields in motorhomes that I've had to replace because I didn't know enough to get the rock chip fixed ASAP, but then the story would probably get long and boring.

Best advise is if you get a rock chip, put a piece of scotch tape over the ding to keep out dirt and moisture and then get it fixed as soon as possible.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
In 2004 we made our way to Sturgis, South Dakota for the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. Myself and seven other motorhomes followed a route which took us on a section of highway 191 from Utah to Jackson, WY. As luck would have it, about 10 miles of Hwy 191 was being repaired and was little more or less than a dirt and rock road. Needless to say, several of our group suffered rock chipped windshields by the time we pulled into our campground in Jackson. The next morning I was able to locate the local windshield repair guy who was doing a Bang Up Business going from motorhome to motorhome repairing chips and dings. Luckily, none of us ended up with a crack bad enough that could not be repaired.

I could go on and tell you about the other two windshields in motorhomes that I've had to replace because I didn't know enough to get the rock chip fixed ASAP, but then the story would probably get long and boring.

Best advise is if you get a rock chip, put a piece of scotch tape over the ding to keep out dirt and moisture and then get it fixed as soon as possible.

Sammie
Roger that Sammie,
I keep thinking I'm getting a bit wiser as I get older but, sometimes I think the process is reversing. About a week ago I looked up windshield repair kits on line and was reading reviews on the top three. Well, I had the best one picked out and was going to get it today. A bit late!
Scott
Old 01-30-2012, 04:24 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

RV Glass Solutions informed me that the base of that center both especially on the passengers' side is a major stress point to that piece of glass. Also if the glass is not installed properly the dash may contact the windshield and add more stress to the area. Good luck and go with a glass installer who knows RV's and not just one who says they can do RV's because they do automotive installations.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Bought and repaired two chips in ours just this past summer. Cheap investment from WallyWorld. I think it cost like $9.00. So far so good.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Well boys,
Here's the latest. Due to the fact that I called RV Glass Solutions and, was quoted $989.00 for the installed replacement of that side, I ended up calling a local Winshield Crack Doctor. He gave me a quote of $110.00 to stop drill the tip of the crack, drill and dremel out the chip and full length of the crack and a warranty that it would not travel any further and, come to my house to do it. So, I gave him the "Go" and you should see it now. The crack is all but gone. The original chip, all that's there is a tiny dot. Great work and a fair and reasonable price considering I did not have to burn any diesel taking it someplace and, the rest of the windshield is flawless.

So, with the money we saved, I might just go out and purchase a TPMS from either TST or, Pressure Pro, not sure yet.

As for the prompt repair of a chip, yep, do it as soon as possible. No doubt about it.
Scott
Old 01-31-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have always had Full Safety Glass Coverage on all my vehicles. I just call my agent and out of the ~$300 for comprehensive coverage, $65 is for the glass. I just had both my MH's windshields and the seal replaced at no cost to me, other than the premium paid. The installer said it would have been about $1600 if I had to pay for it. I don't remember it that included installation.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:01 AM   #9

Same here.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I have always had Full Safety Glass Coverage on all my vehicles. I just call my agent and out of the ~$300 for comprehensive coverage, $65 is for the glass. I just had both my MH's windshields and the seal replaced at no cost to me, other than the premium paid. The installer said it would have been about $1600 if I had to pay for it. I don't remember it that included installation.
Dunner,
May ask who your insurance company is? I see so many ways insurance companies handle glass and windshield coverage that, I'm now interested in possibly changing. State Farm, here in So CAL, has no "Options" for segregating glass/windshield coverage and or the deductibles that apply to them only. The glass/windshield is part of the comprehensive package period. What ever one chooses to pay as a deductible/premium relationship is what it is, as an encompassing package.
Scott
Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for making me think about it, had mine repaired today, called insurance they sent someone out in about an hour to repair, no deductible on glass repairs. I use Progressive Ins.
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Both Allstate and AmFam show:

Comprehensive - Deductible - $Amount
Full Safety Glass Coverage applies

No amount for the glass. I had to actually talk to my agent to find out what the $amount was. She had to research it and call me back.

I think they all do it that way if you have glass coverage. It also depends on the vehicle. My 94 Dodge Ram comprehensive is $35, so the glass can't be $65 like my MH.

I think it is well worth it. It is considered a no-fault claim and they don't raise your rates.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We had our drivers side windshield replaced at the RV Supershow in Tampa last month. While the tech was there I asked him about repairing a chip on the passengers side windshield.

He asked me if I had ever used Rain-X on it, and I said yes. He said if that was the case, the repair wouldn't work. Something the Rain-X gets in the micro-pores of the glass causing the chip repair material to not stick to the glass.

First time I ever heard of that!
fputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

When I told my insurance agent that I had a 2' crack in one and a chip in the other, she recommended I get both replaced. Fine by me. Took two guys 4 hours to replace them... and their specialty was RVs.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,
The DW talked to the agent (State Farm) and, if we change our deductible from $1000.00 to $100.00 on just comprehensive, out premium goes up over $300.00 a year from what it is now. Now, some might say that's a far cry from $989.00 for a replacement windshield on the passenger side of our present coach. True, but, based on our decisions to save money on the premium payments over the years, approximately 20 years so far with the same agent, the same insurance company and, the same deductibles, that's very close to $6000.00 we've saved.

So, a sting like this, a $989.00 replacement cost, out of our pocket because of our high deductible, is a sting but, we can swallow it without choking too bad. I sometimes (at times like this) wish I had/have the same kind of "Glass coverage" that many of you do in terms of, MAKE A PHONE CALL and vuallaa, you've got new windshields at no cost or, at the very least, a small deductible. But, it's a trade off, SAVE continually and pay once in a while or, PAY continually and save once in a while.

We're still looking into changes, both with our present company/agent and, checking around for alternative quotes. We'll see.
Scott
Old 02-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

My Allstate collision is $226 and comp is $305. Both are $500 deductible. My `97 Dodge Ram is $1000 deductible and I still have full glass coverage. It was the same with AmFam, but the rates were higher, so I switched.