Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2019, 10:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Don't drain your water heater....

...with 25 PSI of air pressure in the lines 😁 Yesterday was sunny and a whopping 50° outside, so I decided to check out the motorhome for any damage done by our sub freezing temps (mid 20's for five hours). First I connected the MH to our water line and checked for leaks, nothing, phew. Then I disconnected the water line and hooked up my air compressor to blow out all the internal lines of water. Did this so that all the lines were blowing air, but knew the hot water tank wouldn't be fully drained. So forgetting that the compressor was still running, I started unscrewing the drain plug. Suddenly, the plug blew out of my fingers and I was deluged with cold water😢. The plug disappeared somewhere into the bushes next to the RV. Duh I thought, still had air pressure. So anyway, a new plug arrives tomorrow but I can rest at ease if the temperature drops knowing that all the lines are cleared of water. Still a small amount in the fresh water tank, gray and black tanks, but I'm not worried about them. We rarely drop below freezing for more than 5 or 6 hours during the winter, so no need to fully winterize.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
the next time you want to take the plug out of the WH just flip the pressure relief first. that should eliminate any surprises.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Good thing the water heater had not been on recently, results would have been different.

I have and use a winterization checklist for good reasons.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The drain plugs with a drain cock already in them are pretty nice.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater