Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2023, 11:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Red face Dometic toilet troubles OH Well; MY BAD.

Should have used rv antifreeze especially this year, I scrimped and just drained everything. The toilet flush valve which I did hold open with the low drains running open must have not completely cleared and as a consequence froze then cracked inside causing a drip leak. The flush valve is dripping very slowly and drips over into the shower pan as designed. Not enough to keep the water pump running but just enough to give you wet feet at night when you go to the john.

The dometic is the 301 14" so it was easy to find even here in Victoria on an overnight from Vancouver thank my lucky stars, no long waits for a crapper delivery from the US like some of the Winnebago specific parts.

Thank heavens the original rubber toilet waste seal is still fine. There is nothing worse than a leaking toilet seal in a trailer IMO. I guess an added benefit will be being able to easily do a check for poo pile build up and a more thorough general black water tank system inspection during the toilet replacement process. There is always a bright side to doing good maintenance.

A toilet change also affords us the opportunity to change out the slightly rusted 3/8X7/16 size standard toilet bolt set and inspect the flange and also change it out if necessary. A maintenance step that if skipped will make the toilet harder to service in the future. It is good plumbing practices IMO never to reuse rusted toilet attachment bolts. Fortunately the toilet bolts are not seriously rusted down and came free with a standard 7/16 box end so the changeout should be easy peasy as long as I clean the top end of the bolt threads with WD 40 where it is a little rusted as usual before unscrewing the nuts that is. Another plumbing imperative that some people do not think of doing and wind up spinning the bolt trying to remove the nuts.

300 Canuck bucks for a new Dometic 300 series toilet, so a bit of a hit or one and a half tanks of gasoline that could have been spent on a our upcoming camping trip to Tofino in May.

Parksville was beautiful though as ever. Though cold and windy.

Fortunately our winnie drop 1780 is otherwise smiling happy and the first trip of the year was nice and everything else was tickety boo. Swapping out to a sprung axle when the Lippert torsion axle gave up the ghost last year was great the trip and the way the trailer tows is spot on. The spring setup is much nicer than a cheapo torsion axle which had no spring left in it to speak of. Here is a little pic from the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1818.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	185694  
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, toilet