Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #41
Winnebago Camper

OK, the doghouse is in our garage..
I have tried to pull off the aluminum insulation but.. I get lots of the fiberglas strands but the actual foil stays very tight to the fiberglas body. I just cannot get it of.
Did you use a solvent to loosen the glue? I tried Goo Gone but that did not seem to make much difference.
I just about have decided that if it is so tight it should be good enough to hold on the new layer of insulation. ( will tape the few pieces I did get off.)

Any input will be welcome.

Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #42
Winnebago Camper

There is a giant tool which looks like an Allen Wrench, black in color in ours, and it was located in the back of the motorhome when we bought ours. It fits in the hole and turns the latch to open then the doghouse just pulls out. Good luck.

1998 Winnebago Chieftain
ChiefQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:15 PM   #43
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rgrstndgby:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">At 55 - 60 mph in OD it's quiet. But at 62-65 mph in OD, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about those same speeds in a different gear?.. I dont know if you have a 5 or 6 speed, but if the noise stays about the same ( at the same speed )in a different gear, I helps point to the diff. If the noise doesn't appear in a different gear, probably is in the trans..The noise I had in the differential was so loud at those exact speeds, a travelin' buddie said it drownd(ed) out my voice over the cb.. WH replaced the entire center section(3rd member).. A diff noise will only get worse, never better...rgr... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In OD..at 62-65 mph..I hear a noticeable whine-howl with the tranny under load. When I back off on the load...it disappears.

I read in the Workhorse Owners Manual/Section 4/Service Information Quote:

"NOTICE: The rear axle of your vehicle has several large turning gears that can emit resonating noises which may be a normal operating characteristic, depending on vehicle load or vehicle speed." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did u ever determin the reason for the whining noise. I think I have the same but not as loud after insulating the doghouse cover..........
Old 03-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #44
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rgrstndgby:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">At 55 - 60 mph in OD it's quiet. But at 62-65 mph in OD, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about those same speeds in a different gear?.. I dont know if you have a 5 or 6 speed, but if the noise stays about the same ( at the same speed )in a different gear, I helps point to the diff. If the noise doesn't appear in a different gear, probably is in the trans..The noise I had in the differential was so loud at those exact speeds, a travelin' buddie said it drownd(ed) out my voice over the cb.. WH replaced the entire center section(3rd member).. A diff noise will only get worse, never better...rgr... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In OD..at 62-65 mph..I hear a noticeable whine-howl with the tranny under load. When I back off on the load...it disappears.

I read in the Workhorse Owners Manual/Section 4/Service Information Quote:

"NOTICE: The rear axle of your vehicle has several large turning gears that can emit resonating noises which may be a normal operating characteristic, depending on vehicle load or vehicle speed." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did u ever determin the reason for the whining noise. I think I have the same but not as loud after insulating the doghouse cover.......... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I did..Workhorse Service Center driveline tech confirmed it was bad 3rd gear assembly in differential. Also found major gear filings/grindings in the diff sump. Incidentally, maker of differential (Dana) is in Chapter 11. It appears this is not the first 3rd gear assembly being replaced by WorkHorse for what appears to be quality shortfalls from Dana assembly plant. A complete new 3rd gear assembly from Workhorse is expected in any day for a complete swap out. Service Center will also send the replacement 3rd gear assembly to a nearby speciality differential shop to scope it/spec it out..before installing it back in my rig. No use putting junk back in again. More to follow.

I see you are in KC. You might consider a side trip up here to local Workhorse Service Center (Sioux Falls)"The Truck Center"/201 North Harlem/Sioux Falls. They are experts in chassis and driveline repairs....and you might have a warranty issue for same problem I had/have.

See the end of this linked discussion about my repair details:
http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8626012545/m/603105852
Old 03-11-2007, 05:31 AM   #45
JC2
Winnie-Wise

We started out the other day on our 1st short trip with the rig and had the service engine light come on the the battery light on the speedo display kept flashing so we dropped it off at an authorized WH repair facility. Turns out the O2 sensor was bad as was the alternator. I noticed the whining noise; don't know if its the same problem ur having or the infamous power steering, is less noticeable after I insulated the doghouse. I still plan on checking it closer when we get it back. Thanks for the onfo.........
Old 03-11-2007, 06:15 AM   #46
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
We started out the other day on our 1st short trip with the rig and had the service engine light come on the the battery light on the speedo display kept flashing so we dropped it off at an authorized WH repair facility. Turns out the O2 sensor was bad as was the alternator. I noticed the whining noise; don't know if its the same problem ur having or the infamous power steering, is less noticeable after I insulated the doghouse. I still plan on checking it closer when we get it back. Thanks for the onfo......... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My experience with the "normal" WH cold power steering noise is when it is very cold (20F degrees and below) noise occurs and will vary in intensity for 10-30 seconds until PS fluid is fully circulating. Turning the steering wheel 1-2 inches either direction seems to decrease the noise and shorten the duration-intensity.

This might be helpfull:
http://www.differentials.com/diagnose.html
Old 03-11-2007, 07:04 AM   #47
JC2
Winnie-Wise

I have read where others with similiar PS noise had removed some of the fluid and replaced with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak and the noise was dramatically reduce or when away entirely. Bought a 12oz bottle and will try it out. Thanks for the link; looks like good info.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #48
Winnie-Wise

I have read where others with similiar PS noise had removed some of the fluid and replaced with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak and the noise was dramatically reduce or when away entirely. Bought a 12oz bottle and will try it out. Thanks for the link; looks like good info. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let us know. Reminder...it has to be really cold. Might want to watch KC forcast for early morning cold test/eval.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #49
Winnebago Camper

Hey Pubtym,

Where are those pics posted of your insulation project? Maybe I missed em.

Thanks!

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #50
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jasonm:
Hey Pubtym,

Where are those pics posted of your insulation project? Maybe I missed em.

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try this link:
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showga...00&ppuser=1483
Old 03-12-2007, 04:10 AM   #51
Winnebago Camper

Got it! Thanks!

Old 03-12-2007, 04:11 AM   #52
Winnebago Camper

How much room would there be for another layer? It's the old, "If one layer is good, two must be great" adage, and may not apply here. Just curious. I'll have to look at my doghouse to determine.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:58 AM   #53

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jasonm:
How much room would there be for another layer? It's the old, "If one layer is good, two must be great" adage, and may not apply here. Just curious. I'll have to look at my doghouse to determine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 layer of the 3/4" insulation makes the doghouse almost rub some wiring looms on top of the engine....One layer is PLENTY.

Look over the passenger tire at the top of your engine with your cover on...
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #54
Winnie-Wise

End of Story: Picked up MH after Workhorse Service Center here in Sioux Falls had completey replaced the 3rd gear assembly in the original Workhorse (2006 Model) Dana differential. What a difference!!! Very quiet...as it should be at all speeds. I also had a chance to see the old diff still in the shop awaiting return shipment to WH. I saw the large slivers being ground off the gears by the missaligned gears in the assembly. I saw the increasing feathering damage on gears edges as a result of the defective assembly process.
I'm now a very happy camper.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:36 PM   #55
Winnebago Owner

Just received my Summit Catalog. Found the Dynamat Hoodliner Kit used by FrontRangeRVer and others. This has a heat range of -40 to +225 whereas the Summit Supreme Heat/Sound Barrier heat range is -30 to +450. Dynamat appears to be a thicker product if I'm reading it correctly.

Question I have is that considering there has been some discussion about heat burning out spark plug wires on some units, is the Dynamat +225 sufficient for the amount of heat generated or should the Summit +450 be used?
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:30 PM   #56
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Russo:
Just received my Summit Catalog. Found the Dynamat Hoodliner Kit used by FrontRangeRVer and others. This has a heat range of -40 to +225 whereas the Summit Supreme Heat/Sound Barrier heat range is -30 to +450. Dynamat appears to be a thicker product if I'm reading it correctly.

Question I have is that considering there has been some discussion about heat burning out spark plug wires on some units, is the Dynamat +225 sufficient for the amount of heat generated or should the Summit +450 be used? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Dynamat stuff is working fine in the doghouse of my 2006 Itasca. It is not subject to the proximity of the intense engine block heat that the spark plug wires are.

I did install Taylor Extreme Plug Wires too. Oh yes....what a noticeable performance enhancement !!!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 03:06 AM   #57

Just FYI...the Dynamat Hoodliner is 3/4" thick, aluminum on one side, self stick, and is for heat and sound. That is what I used, as a hoodliner is what we need for the doghouse. This stuff rocks!

The dynamat is a completely different product...it is asphalt based, and only 1/8" thick. I have it on the inside of my daughters Corolla truck since she has a big woofer in her truck. The only beef I have with this stuff is, that it doesn't stay stuck for long...it is falling off, and makes a HORRIBLE asphalty black mess.....
Old 03-25-2007, 05:23 AM   #58
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Where can one purchase these plug wires????
Old 03-25-2007, 06:05 AM   #59

Where can one purchase these plug wires???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Taylor Extreme Wires
Old 03-25-2007, 10:13 AM   #60
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Thank u sir......