Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2007, 12:35 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Winnebago doesn't insulated their doghouses, and putting a GOOD sound and heat insulator on them is a MUST.

I used the Dynamat Hood Liner insulation. Self adhesive, just cut and press on you doghouse cover. I covered all edges with aluminum tape. This is quality aluminum backed 3/4" hoodliner and is much better than the stuff Camping World sells...

This is VERY quality insulation for sound and heat, and now the heat bleedthru factor is totally gone, and us up front passengers can actually HEAR each other talk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FrontRangerRVer:
I ordered the Dynamat Hood Liner yesterday and it should be here the 1st if next week..
1: Where did u get the aluminum tape??
2: Did u just set the cover onto the liner and trace?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get large roll of aluminum tape at hardware store. It is usually in the section where they have metal duct parts.

I took the piece approach and worked with measured cut pieces anywhere from 12 " wide to two inches wide. Cover the seams with alluminum tape. I also ordered the small roller with my kit. The roller really helped lay it down tight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may need to trim it back abount 1.5 inches from the front of the cover to allow for the gasket and flange that sticks out from the dash. Mine would not lay flat on the floor as the extra thickness from the insulation picked it up about .25 inches and left a gap.

We really did not notice how well it worked until one of the kids asked a question and we heard them the first time and did not have to ask for a repeat. Dash AC is now sufficient while underway too. Long drives are less tiring now without so many constant decibels coming at you.

For what a MH costs and considering the perception of quality this little bit of sound insulation provides it is very difficult to understand why they don't install it in place of the standard foil. The cost is not that much greater and the labor will be about the same. Even if it raises the price of the MH $50 or $100 that is a drop in the bucket after the first $100,000.00.

As for what could be the sound of some kind of drive train failure, well that is another matter that needs to also be addressed. Don't let the masking provided by the sound insulation stop you from verifying whether there is a mechanical problem or not.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:04 AM   #22
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Winnebago doesn't insulated their doghouses, and putting a GOOD sound and heat insulator on them is a MUST.

I used the Dynamat Hood Liner insulation. Self adhesive, just cut and press on you doghouse cover. I covered all edges with aluminum tape. This is quality aluminum backed 3/4" hoodliner and is much better than the stuff Camping World sells...

This is VERY quality insulation for sound and heat, and now the heat bleedthru factor is totally gone, and us up front passengers can actually HEAR each other talk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FrontRangerRVer:
I ordered the Dynamat Hood Liner yesterday and it should be here the 1st if next week..

Get large roll of aluminum tape at hardware store. It is usually in the section where they have metal duct parts.

I took the piece approach and worked with measured cut pieces anywhere from 12 " wide to two inches wide. Cover the seams with alluminum tape. I also ordered the small roller with my kit. The roller really helped lay it down tight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may need to trim it back abount 1.5 inches from the front of the cover to allow for the gasket and flange that sticks out from the dash. Mine would not lay flat on the floor as the extra thickness from the insulation picked it up about .25 inches and left a gap.

We really did not notice how well it worked until one of the kids asked a question and we heard them the first time and did not have to ask for a repeat. Dash AC is now sufficient while underway too. Long drives are less tiring now without so many constant decibels coming at you.

For what a MH costs and considering the perception of quality this little bit of sound insulation provides it is very difficult to understand why they don't install it in place of the standard foil. The cost is not that much greater and the labor will be about the same. Even if it raises the price of the MH $50 or $100 that is a drop in the bucket after the first $100,000.00.

As for what could be the sound of some kind of drive train failure, well that is another matter that needs to also be addressed. Don't let the masking provided by the sound insulation stop you from verifying whether there is a mechanical problem or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did allow for 1.5 inch setback from the front under dash fit. Also made sure insulation did not cover the doghouse lip. Used alluminum tape along that lip to flush up to insulation along the inside. I hope to post photos of all later today.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:09 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rgrstndgby:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Who would do the sound eval...a Workhorse center? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, ultimatly, but you can do a rough evaluation..on a level stretch of road, run the coach at the "noise" speed, in 6th, then 5th, and then 4th, each downshift done manualy, and always maintaing the same load and speed. If its the tranny, the noise should change significantly, even going away in 4th..Try as closely as you can to maintain the same "load" on the drivetrain.. 5th and 6th are overdrive gears, causing extra action inside the trans.. 4th is direct, and far fewer gears are turning.. If the noise persists at the same speed thru all of the gear changes, its likely the differential..rgr... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll check it out on the road today or tomorrow...and get back to you. Thanks
Old 02-11-2007, 02:46 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:

FrontRangerRVer:

As for what could be the sound of some kind of drive train failure, well that is another matter that needs to also be addressed. Don't let the masking provided by the sound insulation stop you from verifying whether there is a mechanical problem or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did allow for 1.5 inch setback from the front under dash fit. Also made sure insulation did not cover the doghouse lip. Used alluminum tape along that lip to flush up to insulation along the inside. I hope to post photos of all later today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Photos posted today under "Pubtym". Title of group is "Doghouse Insulation".

Test drive was very satisfactory. Doghouse engine and tranny noise reduced 30-40 %. Well worth the efffort and expense. Also, when stopped overnight in cold temps..I always wondered why the doghouse area was so cold. Now I know..it had no insulation. So, I do expect another benefit to doghouse insulation.

Pubtym
Old 02-11-2007, 03:16 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rgrstndgby:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">At 55 - 60 mph in OD it's quiet. But at 62-65 mph in OD, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about those same speeds in a different gear?.. I dont know if you have a 5 or 6 speed, but if the noise stays about the same ( at the same speed )in a different gear, I helps point to the diff. If the noise doesn't appear in a different gear, probably is in the trans..The noise I had in the differential was so loud at those exact speeds, a travelin' buddie said it drownd(ed) out my voice over the cb.. WH replaced the entire center section(3rd member).. A diff noise will only get worse, never better...rgr... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In OD..at 62-65 mph..I hear a noticeable whine-howl with the tranny under load. When I back off on the load...it disappears.

I read in the Workhorse Owners Manual/Section 4/Service Information Quote:

"NOTICE: The rear axle of your vehicle has several large turning gears that can emit resonating noises which may be a normal operating characteristic, depending on vehicle load or vehicle speed."
Old 02-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In OD..at 62-65 mph.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you check it in the other gears, 5th and 4th?..rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:08 AM   #27
JC2
Winnie-Wise

FrontRangeRVer:
Received my Dynamart HoodLiner kit yesterday from Summit Racing and want to know if u installed the strips starting from the middle and worked out to the edges of each half??? Did u make each strip about the same width???
Old 02-13-2007, 08:39 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

JC2...my posted pics on this site might help you see how I worked it. See "Pubtym" pics and Dog House Insulation.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:44 AM   #29

FrontRangeRVer:
Received my Dynamart HoodLiner kit yesterday from Summit Racing and want to know if u installed the strips starting from the middle and worked out to the edges of each half??? Did u make each strip about the same width??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure what you mean by strips. I layed my doghouse cover upside down, and measured between the metal angle iron strips and then cut the insulation to match that configuration. then pressed the insulation on. if there was some area that wasnt covered, I cut out a piece to insert in that area. then I covered all seams and edges with the aluminum tape. Good luck, and I hope this helps!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:52 AM   #30

JC2...my posted pics on this site might help you see how I worked it. See "Pubtym" pics and Dog House Insulation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I looked at the pics, and that looks exactly how I did mine...good job!!
Old 02-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #31

JC2, let us know how this turns out!
Old 02-14-2007, 09:34 AM   #32
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Will do. The pics will help but it will be a couple of days before the undertaking as we got blasted here with another snow and bitter cold.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

How many RVers does it take to insulate a doghouse?
made me do it. Good miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:53 AM   #34

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
How many RVers does it take to insulate a doghouse?
made me do it. Good miles </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alot more than it takes for Winnebago to do it apparently, since Winnebago doesn't do it!
Old 02-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #35
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Well, the weather finally broke here to a reasonable temp and I was able to get the doghouse insulated and taped with aluminum foil backed tape. Will be interesting to see how much the noise/temp is reduced. Thanks everyone..
Old 02-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

June 2006 issue of Motorhome Mag. has a great article about soundproofing the doghouse. We got inspired, ordered the foil, tape and spray from Whitney. We are ready to put it on but....

WE CANNOT GET OUR DOGHOUSE TO OPEN .. 03 Ford V10.

Looking forward there is one opening about one inch of the floor in the middle. Sticking a screwdriver in it does nothing. Are there hidden, covered screws that need to be found?

Please help us open our doghouse...

Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

A large size allen wrench goes in the opening. Some folks have found screws in the front inside after opening the back.
Do a search on Doghouses or Insulating Doghouses. There is tons of info on this subject. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #38
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adventurous:
June 2006 issue of Motorhome Mag. has a great article about soundproofing the doghouse. We got inspired, ordered the foil, tape and spray from Whitney. We are ready to put it on but....

WE CANNOT GET OUR DOGHOUSE TO OPEN .. 03 Ford V10.

Looking forward there is one opening about one inch of the floor in the middle. Sticking a screwdriver in it does nothing. Are there hidden, covered screws that need to be found?

Please help us open our doghouse... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have a 05 Winnebago Voyage and just recently insulated our DH cover. Ours had a screw in the middle about 1-2 inches from the bottom and took a large allen wrench to open. This one turned about 3/4 turn clocwise to unlatch. We also had (1) self tapping screws (a smaller allen wrench) on each side where the DH cover almost meets with lower part of the dash You might have to look around or feel for these as there were kind of recessed in the carpet.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:39 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys, we got a big allen wrench and abacadabra the dog house opened...
Yes you are so right, there is only an allumium foil shield glued to it.
Ours still seems very well attached(after almost 30K miles) Do we dare glue the new shield to it or do we need to try to get the old foil off???

I also noticed that this dog house does not have very many straigt sides, it will be have to be " custom taylored" also called creative cut and glue!!!

Thanks...

Any info will be helpfull

Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #40

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adventurous:
Thanks guys, we got a big allen wrench and abacadabra the dog house opened...
Yes you are so right, there is only an allumium foil shield glued to it.
Ours still seems very well attached(after almost 30K miles) Do we dare glue the new shield to it or do we need to try to get the old foil off???

I also noticed that this dog house does not have very many straigt sides, it will be have to be " custom taylored" also called creative cut and glue!!!

Thanks...

Any info will be helpfull </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pull that aluminum foil off and buy some of the Underhood insulation self stick insulation mentioned in this post, and cut to fit...no biggie and a BIG difference!

Most of the Winnie owners on here think that the aluminum foil that Winnie put on IS insulation!! LOL