Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Been using Vodka for fifteen years. Lots of folks laugh at me over it, but there are quite a few positive reasons for it. Costs a little more, but still cheaper than having a dealer do it.
You convinced me, I'm going to do it. Party at my house!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #42
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
You convinced me, I'm going to do it. Party at my house!
There you go. One heck of a great party de-winterizing in the spring.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Just did mine last week. 4 gallons of the Pink Stuff and about 20 - 30 minutes. This was the first year I had to winterize a washer, but the Splendid owner's manual covered it real well. Can't wait to de-winterize in April...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

I winterized our Winnebago Vista yesterday. I have a good air compressor and blew out the lines for a long time. Then I put the red RV antifreeze down the drains. The unit is in the drive shed for the winter. I have the jacks down and sprayed the jacks with silicon. I disconnected the power, but I can plug into a 30 amp service in the shed every month during the winter to make sure the batteries are charged. I did the same when I had a Trail-lite motor home and never had any problems with the batteries.
rottenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #45
Winnebago Watcher

Winterizing

Wife thought we should have the dealer do it since we are new owners. Good thing. Job revealed some bad valves in the plumbing which resulted in complications taking several hours to resolve by two techs. The fix took some $, but I hate to think what our efforts would have produced. Next year for do-it-ourself-ing.
Tschlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #46
Winnebago Camper

Cooperhawk & Wyorancher, I'm sorry, I chickened out. I had the cheap Vodka all ready to go and I starting worrying about the compatibility of ethanol with all of the rubber seals in the system, especially in the washer. I did buy a few gallons of the Prestone RV antifreeze (looked a little better than the cheap pink stuff) because it contained lubricants and corrosion inhibitors as well. I opened a bottle and was pleasantly surprised by the lack of that sickeningly sweet smell. In fact it was quite antiseptic (like the Vodka) and did not have that terrible taste either. So in went 2 gallons. I'll tell you how it cleans out when I de-winterize in February.

BTW I blew out my system first, then added the antifreeze. Big waste of time. Either blow out your system dry and leave it that way or just flush out the water with antifreeze. It's not necessary to do both.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #47
Winnie-Wise

I started doing my Dads with air (a long long time ago) I used air till 05 when we became Winter Texans. I still have to winterize the sticks and brick in WA and the RV port on the lake, summarize the S&B and Casita in TX. Pink stuff in the drains, but not in the water supply (that stuff is nasty)
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #48
Winnebago Camper

Yeah, the pink stuff is nasty, but the Prestone smells much better and seems like it will flush clean.

Tags
winter