Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

disconnect flashing jacks down light?

I have the HWH levelers with the two red lights and beeping noise when engine is running and jacks down. Anyone know which fuse controls the beeping? If the lights are on a seperate fuse that's great! Thanks for any suggestions except telling me that it is a safety feature.
PS: I meant to say beeping instead of "down light"
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hi, I don't know where the fuse is or how to disconnect. My question is why would you have the engine running with the jacks down? If you are going to run the engine why not lift the jacks and then it willolve your problem.

Normally when my jacks are down and I want to retract them I have my wife turn the key to acc. position and push the store button while I disconnect the power/water connections.By the time I finish the jacks are up and we are ready to roll.

Sorry I couldn't be more help but I would not disconnect the alarm as then you might drive off the jacks.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

The Bells and Whistles are there for a reason. Leave them alone and let them ring, let them blink. If they are annoying then they are doing thier job. If you disconnect them and you drive off with the jacks down then you will be back here on the sight complaining about how you messed your coach and try to blame it on the Manufacture.
Just let it be
Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
The Bells and Whistles are there for a reason. Leave them alone and let them ring, let them blink. If they are annoying then they are doing thier job. If you disconnect them and you drive off with the jacks down then you will be back here on the sight complaining about how you messed your coach and try to blame it on the Manufacture.
Just let it be
I don't know how to be any clearer about not telling me it's a safety feature, but if that's the best you got then so be it.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Wannabe,
That is the nature of the beast so that when you place the key in the run position on the Winni the jack alarm and lights will come on. What is worse is when I retract my jacks and they are all up and the alarm continues, so yest there is a way but I would not recommend it for when the jacks are deployed (down) as it is to easy to start the engine and forget they are down - unless you add to your procedures to check the jacks for their position before moving the coach.(as we do)

Before proceeding a question. What is the purpose of having the engine running if not to retract the jacks and slides and then move the coach?

Now, what I did, but with the Kwikee Level Best system and it should function basically the same way, is I interrupted the power switch to the computer module of the keypad. I placed a single pole single throw toggle switch in-line with the power lead and mounted it next to the keypad. When I retract the jacks and the alarm stays on I just flip the switch and the lights and alarm go off. When we stop and I attempt to turn on the jacks again, of course the will not come on so I just throw the toggle again and I'm set to go. We always do a walk around before moving to ensure that the jacks are up.

In your case wanting the alarm to not sound when the jacks are down, you have a much more serious issue to think about. That is forgetting that they are down and moving the coach. Not good.

Happy trails.

p.s., the alarm will not sound if the key is in the accessory position, but then, as you know, the engine will not run. Just saying.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Sorry I couldn't be more help but I would not disconnect the alarm as then you might drive off the jacks.
I wish I knew how to keep everyone from worrying about me driving off the jacks. If I stop the beeping, I still have two red lights staring me in the face. Beyond that I don't care if I drive off and rip the jacks completely off the chassis if that stops the beeping.

On your first question, if my site is level then I have no problem putting the key in accessory and raising the jacks first. If not level then I need to run the engine to retract the slides before raising the jacks. Everything I read says to run the engine to retract the slides. Maybe I'm missing something here?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Now, what I did, but with the Kwikee Level Best system and it should function basically the same way, is I interrupted the power switch to the computer module of the keypad. I placed a single pole single throw toggle switch in-line with the power lead and mounted it next to the keypad. When I retract the jacks and the alarm stays on I just flip the switch and the lights and alarm go off. When we stop and I attempt to turn on the jacks again, of course the will not come on so I just throw the toggle again and I'm set to go. We always do a walk around before moving to ensure that the jacks are up.
Good suggestion! I would rather just interrupt the beeping and keep the red lights on unless they are both on the same circuit. Perhaps someone has just switched the beeper? I have heard of taping over the beeper to mute it-anyone done that?

Apparently the harmonics of my beeper effects me more than others or there would be all kind of fixes suggested. While I'm retracting the slides (slowly!!!), the DW and dog have to leave the vehicle to keep him from howling.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Geez.. Put some trans fluid in the reservoir and it will stop!!!
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

No Rick, it will not stop. The jacks are DOWN. The only way to stop it is to disconnect the buzzer lead in some manner, or turn the ignition off. It is a safety feature.

Wannabe, you are absolutely correct in running the engine while putting the jacks down and extending the slides, or retracting the slides and then retracting the jacks on the Winnebago chassis. I believe that is for all the DP's in the Winni line, and a recommended procedure.

You could find the line to the beeper and unplug it, or, as you stated tape it or tape a sponge around it so the sound is muffled.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be having that beeper blaring at you. In my case it was 80-100 miles down the road and it would shut off sometime, but it was with the Jacks up. I just ignore it when the jacks are down as it is less than a couple minutes. Besides, I can operate the jacks from the outside and never hear the alarm until I go in to extend the slides and that is less than a minute. However, if your ears are that sensitive, I do understand.

As for DW, when we stop she's out the door with the pooch and doesn't come back in until the slides are extended. Then we swap places, me out, her setting up inside.

Happy trails.

Edited: I believe in your particular case you would not want to interrupt the power lead to the key pad. That would disable everything and you would not be able to extend the jacks, unless you could put up with the few minutes and then turn it of. It may be a better solution, for you, to just interrupt the alarm bell, or muffle it. JMHO

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Ok.. if levelers are down and engine on... adjust parking brake switch and alarm should stop. Fix the problem.. don't just cover it up.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

On our 09 Meridian, I put a delay timer in line with the audible alarm. Now the alarm sounds for about 10 seconds and stopd and the blinking light stays on. Whenever ignition switch is put in acc. or start, the sequence starts over.
nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsdienes View Post
On our 09 Meridian, I put a delay timer in line with the audible alarm. Now the alarm sounds for about 10 seconds and stopd and the blinking light stays on. Whenever ignition switch is put in acc. or start, the sequence starts over.
When I prepare my toad for towing, there is an annoying dinging ... nsdienes ... can you tell me more about this delay timer ... it sounds like I want one of these installed in my toad ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
Ok.. if levelers are down and engine on... adjust parking brake switch and alarm should stop. Fix the problem.. don't just cover it up.
Not on Winnebago. If park indicator light blinking on mine the air brakes are not set. That is my park brake. Slides and jacks will not work at all if the park brake is not set, and you won't have to worry about an alarm. I'm assuming since the OP has a Winni, that it operates "pretty much" the same way.

He does want to fix the problem, just as I do in my case, but measure need to be taken to remedy the "now" problem until it can get fixed. Again, in my case even the factory service center could not fix it. I'm scheduled to put mine in this month and that is one of the things I will insist on being fixed.

How about this, Kwikee (PowerGear) told the service manager here near me to just start changing out parts - they could not explain it either. I wonder who is not knowing their job.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsdienes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
When I prepare my toad for towing, there is an annoying dinging ... nsdienes ... can you tell me more about this delay timer ... it sounds like I want one of these installed in my toad ...

X2 on interest.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Its been awhile so I'm trying to remember. Believe I used an ELK 960 delay relay. It did come with an enclosure. $20-30. Opened dash, found jack alarm wiring. Think the audible and light were different circuits, but doesn't matter as you can split them. Put the relay (comes with good instructions) in line with the audible and set for about 10 seconds. So every time voltage is sent to the alarm, the relay is closed and in 10 seconds opens.
nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks