Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

dirty evaporator

I have a used 05 journey 36 ft. that the previous owner did not keep the ac filter clean. The fins in the evaporator are very dirty.

Was wondering if the fan motor is directly under the evaporator coil. Would like to spray something (degreaser or even a water hose) on it to remove the dirt, but am afraid of shorting something out is the fan motor is under it.

Anyone ever have the ac unit out of a journey?

Mark
malk415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You can buy a foaming evap cleaner at your local HVAC supply house or I'm sure on the Internet.

Can you see the evap coil?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Have you slid the air condition out? Please show pictures
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The Evaporator coil is "INSIDE" the motor home (That is it is on the "inside" portion of the air conditioner) not exposed to outside air.

The motor that turns the blower is OUTSIDE. So they are not even close.. That said, I have something to suggest.

Go topside (or as the song is titled: UP On the Roof) and remove the cover,, Once you have that off you will see both the compressor motor and the fan motor, what you will NOT see is the evaporator.

Now remove the inner cover (top cover) on the condenser and inspect it for a need to clean (Betting it needs it big time)

While you are there.. If you can figure out how to remove the evaporator/blower cover.. that's the place to be when cleaning it as well (Way easier) however that is up to you.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If I remember correctly, you have a basement air unit in your Journey. To do an adequate job of cleaning the evaporator, I would recommend removing the unit. It's not that difficult a job if you're handy (or frugal), do a search on this forum for repairing basement air and you will find several good posts, especially from Duner. on how to remove and reinstall.

Two 5 gallon buckets are about the right height to hold the unit when it's removed and mine has a long enough power wire that I can run it outside the MH, on the buckets. Once it's out, cleaning both coils is easy.

The service manual has a diagram of what the inside of the unit looks like, the blower motors are between the coils, not underneath them.

Let us know when you get it done or if you have other questions.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Martind4...

You are correct mine is the basement configuration. We are on the road at the current time so for now I just bought some spray on liquid coil cleaner and rinsed it off with water. Figured the liquid would just drain out like the condensation does.

Will no doubt pull the unit and give it a thorough cleaning when we get home. The condenser coil looks pretty clean as I can see it through the grating on the outside.

Mark
malk415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Pick up a can or two of foaming evaporator cleaner. Remove the filter and spray what you can see of the coil. You could then take some water and rinse or turn on the AC and let the condensate rinse the coil.

Best of luck..