Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

I did a little searching around and found this. Look at the answer to FAQ #21 - it has a free program you download and install, enter your location and it gives you azimuth and elevation of all the C band and Ku band satellites. DirecTv uses the Ku satellites.

I know nothing about this web site, but I have about every possible safeguard installed on my laptop and it didn't raise any red flags when I downloaded and installed their program. Have to be careful about downloading stuff like that, but this looks OK...

Wagonmaster2 - I don't see any reason you can't receive the other Ku satellites with your rooftop unit - just a matter of finding them. I guess the tricky part is knowing which channels are on which satellite, but maybe you already know that.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:15 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Tomsm - just finished downloading that program and it looks great. I can see part of my (our) problem with Directv's azimuth, it looks like we're being given the azimuth for 101 but to get the channels I have to go with the azimuth for 110. Why I don't know. I guess that is my main problem, which channels are on which satellite transponders and I sure don't have a clue. I get all my reception, whether on the 3 head or the single head dish, at 196, which is the location for 110 even tho Directv box shows the transponder strengths for 101. On the single head, I've looked around 181 and 210 and find nothing so I'm about convinced I'm not going to find the local network channels on the single head dish. There must be some reason for this.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:03 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Wow! Glad I'm only dealing with a single satellite system. I know it's possible to receive all 3 with a single headed dish because the automatic domed dishes do it. Take a look at this King-dome info. Maybe you have a good excuse to upgrade to a dome system. Quit thinking about azimuth and elevation and just push the button...

Don't forget, if you go more than about 50-100 miles from home, you probably won't get your locals no matter what you do. Almost all locals are spot beamed. Think of a big spotlight on the satellite shining on your home town. When you go outside the spotlighted area, there is no signal.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:34 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

This fall we are going to HighDef at the stick house and the dish required to pull in all of the channels on the different satellites requires a *five* LNB (and somewhat larger) elliptical dish.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:07 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

John - have you seem their "slimline" dish? Still big, but not so gangly looking. I'm thinking of doing the same. Waiting to see your HD upgrade to the Horizon so I'll know where to start...
Old 05-26-2007, 07:30 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Wow. Was I glad to come across this thread! I'm working the kinks out of my new Itasca Ellipse 40FD with the Winegard ASC2003 Auto roof top dish and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the local channels. Now it makes sense.

But... since the major networks are carried through local providers, does that mean that most RV'ers with satallite reception aren't able to access them without paying for the mobile package from DTV and getting some sort of waiver???

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:18 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Rick, unfortunately, you are correct about the major networks. Once you leave your home area, the only way to get the major networks is through Distant Network Services (DNS). Sounds like you're already aware of this service, but if you need more details, here's a link.

Right now we use DirecTv with DNS on the road and cable at home. We're thinking of dropping the cable and using our mobile package at home since we can get the local networks over the air. The new digital and HD over the air transmissions are clearer than the cable signal. Guess this wouldn't work if you needed 3 or 4 receivers at home. Probably would be hard to convince DirecTv that you had 4 receivers in the RV.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:27 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Unless you live in the "major" city and they just show up anyway..

This thread is an excellent to justify a GPS. Even the cheapest one will give you Lat & Lon that you can enter into the receiver rather than rely on the Zip calculator. Somewhere on the web there is a Lat/ Lon to DirecTV (101) pointing solution calculator. If I can find it again I'll post it.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote