Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 10:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Did your RV come with an extra set of keys?

Hi guys. Just bought a Minnie Winnie 26A but we only got one set of Keys. Of course this seems completely odd to me. Initially dealer said extra keys were in bag or fridge, but I was consumed with asking other questions and forgot to check before leaving.

Now they are saying they need to look into it because some RVs don't come with extra keys. Is this a legit statement or are they trying to push us newbs off?
Dallas J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yes Winnebago provides 2 sets of keys on all new RVs. It is the dealer's responsibility to provide them unless you signed your rights away somehow when you did your purchase paperwork.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

That does seem strange. Yes, my 22R came with an extra set of keys.

Somebody has to be pulling your leg...or worse.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Yes Winnebago provides 2 sets of keys on all new RVs. It is the dealer's responsibility to provide them unless you signed your rights away somehow when you did your purchase paperwork.
Heh, I watched that paperwork like a hawk. But thanks for the confirmation. I didn't want to just be that A-hole customer who doesn't understand the new hobby.
Dallas J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

FWIW, TRIMARK - who makes the key sets for a lot of our Winnebagos, now has an Ebay store where you can order keys.

I had a heck of time finding places that would cut the TRIMARKs - I even had to provide my own blanks. So this was important development for me.

You give them the code off of your key and they will either pull one from stock or computer cut your new key.

It's mail order, but it's quick and quite reasonable.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Yes on two sets. My dealer couldn't find the second set, so they went and had 2 of the 3 keys made before we left. They had to order the TriMark key from Winnebago. I called back to check on the status, and the second set had gone home with one of the techs the night before our delivery. We now have 2 2/3 sets of keys.

I'm going to order the TriMark key from Ebay as noted above
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I have two sets of keys and two remote key fobs... and I bought my MH used.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas J View Post
Heh, I watched that paperwork like a hawk. But thanks for the confirmation. I didn't want to just be that A-hole customer who doesn't understand the new hobby.
The dealer I purchased my Winnebago from provided both sets in their offices while doing paperwork. I think most dealers remove the second set of keys from the RV and keep them in the dealership somewhere.

I don't know where they are in the RV before the dealer removes them. Good luck. You should have received two sets of:

Ford ignition key and perhaps a 2nd Ford key that fits only the driver and passenger side doors and not the ignition.

Side door entry keys, normal and deadbolt

Storage compartments key

Key that releases latches over the battery compartment cover, in some Class C models.

Key to a slideout lockout, in some Class C models.

Spare tire cover key, if your model has a hard removable spare tire cover.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

When I bought mine I got 2 full sets of keys. About a year from the date I bought it I got a call from the dealer asking me if I still had it. He had found 4 more sets of keys he was going to send me.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Bought mine used last September at a used car dealership and there was only one set of keys according to them. Our first real outing was in south central Texas in Feb this winter. I was studying the manuals in the evenings to get up to speed on everything and low and behold I found the second set of keys in the bottom of the manuals bag. A very pleasant surprise.
GrandpadaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Yeah there should be 2 sets of keys, make sure you check deep into the Winnebago bag and check all of the kitchen cabinets and refrigerator. When all is said and done if you still don't have them then make the dealer get you a second complete set of keys.
I went out of way and had 2 more sets of keys made up. You have to either get Winnebago to make them or find an actual certified lock smith shop like we have here in Hillsboro to get some of the keys done.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We asked for the second set when we got ours. They had vanished. I wouldn’t leave without the second set. I am afraid of getting locked out. The salesman asked us to follow him to a locksmith and they made a second set of keys for us that night before we drove home. I was a happy girl!
Dottie2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:29 AM   #13
Itasca Owners

Our local RV shop, Indian River RV, carried the Trimark blanks but always sent everyone to a local key shop (around the corner) to have them cut. Now they just send everyone straight to the key shop. The key shop now has ILCO blanks that are equivalent to the Trimarks at less than 1/2 the cost. They also carry blanks that fit Ford Ignitions and the gas doors. It would seem like enough people need replacement key sets to make it worthwhile to keep the blanks in stock.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Ford key FOB

Hi everyone, I picked up a new Minnie on a F350 chassis a few months back, and DID receive 2 sets of complete keys..... However, I WAS expecting key fobs for the cab. It now sounds like I shouldn’t complain because I’m probably lucky I got both sets. But I still feel that for what we paid the dealer I should have gotten fobs. Am I right for feeling shorted or does Ford and/or the dealer just not provide them on their camper bodies?
TonyOIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:38 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

When I first purchased my motorhome, they gave me two sets of keys. I bought additional keys online (I believe through eBay) based on the numbers on the keys. Purchased a couple extras of each key (compartment and two different door keys). They arrived in perfect condition and I have had no problems with any of the keys. Went locally for the ford ignition key.

Good luck!
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:59 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

We got 2 sets for our Minnie Winnie upon purchase, and promptly made two more sets. Like others, I don't ever want to be without spare keys immediately available.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:00 AM   #17
Veteran & RV Owner

Initially, no second set for my 2016 Adventurer. Then, the dealer found a second set minus the Ford Ignition key. They made me a second ignition key.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote