Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Location: SD Resident; place in Green Valley AZ, and Mission TX
Question Diamond Shield replacement

My clear protection cover (Diamond Shield??) has gone bad and needs replaced. It has developed excessive crack lines and otherwise has deteriorated. My questions are:
1. Does anyone know the brand that Winnebago used in their 2004 models?
2. Does anyone know of someone who replaces this material in the Tucson AZ area other than the likes of Lazy Daze?
Thanks in advance for any help.
JoeCastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

When we bought our rig new in '05, the mask was a dealer option. I don't remember Winnebago specifically offering it. We had the dealer install it and as I recall, it was a 3M product.

Good luck.

Keith
Old 10-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for your reply, Keith.
However, it is listed in the original brochure as an option, but it doesn't give any info. It was installed at the factory but I can't find any info. It may not be so important if I can find a reasonable source for a replacement.
Thanks again,
Old 10-22-2014, 12:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCastor View Post
Thanks for your reply, Keith.
However, it is listed in the original brochure as an option, but it doesn't give any info. It was installed at the factory but I can't find any info. It may not be so important if I can find a reasonable source for a replacement.
Thanks again,
Joe-I stand corrected. I looked back at the '05 Suncruiser brochure and it was indeed an option. Both my wife and I remember it being a 3M mask.

Do you have an experienced dealer service rep nearby to ask?

Keith
Old 10-22-2014, 05:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Joe, another option you may want to consider is Google invisible bra and see how many shops pop up in your area. There were several in the Richmond,VA area that would install this on your car or Motorhome. Just another potential option.
Tom
Old 10-22-2014, 06:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

If it is indeed a Diamond Shield, and you are going to replace it with another DS. You should know that they now offer a lifetime warranty. I had mine removed because it looked so bad, and DS wanted to replace it, but I didn't do it because they wouldn't guarantee it wouldn't go bad again. And then couldn't assure me there wouldn't be any damage to the paint which would be my responsibility with another removal. Not to mention the inconvenience of going somewhere to get it removed. Some like...some don't.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the input. You've given me some Google search words and I've emailed Diamond Shield for info on a local installer. I'll update my progress.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I ordered my 2004 Chieftain with the film and I'm almost positive it is 3M. Up close it has 1000's of scratch marks (not cracks) and looks like I abused it with 40 grit sandpaper. I guess this is the way it naturally ages. But at 10-20 feet away it looks like a new coach and I get a lot of nice comments on how new my coach looks & they're surprised it's 11 yrs old. I have no issues with the edges lifting or discoloration.

I was in the Texas oil boom country last winter where 100's of semi's hauling water for fracking were dragging lots of gravel onto the highway I could see my new Lincoln getting beat up by rocks on the outside corners of front facia. The Protect-a-Tow was doing a fine job in the middle but not protecting the outside corners. So I found a company called XPEL in San Antonio that developed and install a protective film that had really good reviews. When I arrived at the factory I saw several expensive/exotic cars getting the whole front end covered including entire hood and fenders. This film is so glossy you cannot tell it's applied unless you get up real close and look for the edge. This film seems to be a 2nd generation design that is more glossy, flexible, and resilient that original 3M. There at the factory they were training dozens of installers from all over the country. I expect we'll hear more about XPEL as users and new car dealers experience good results.

XPEL website

Link to Amazon Reviews
Old 04-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #9
Pensioner

Invisible protective mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Joe, another option you may want to consider is Google invisible bra and see how many shops pop up in your area. There were several in the Richmond,VA area that would install this on your car or Motorhome. Just another potential option.
Tom
Along with all the other problems I have read about, this product is on my Itasca Reyo. It is stained and I can’t get it clean!
SnKPerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

2005 Journey

I have the factory installed 3M mask..It has protected the paint ,but it has developed hundreds of cracks..From thirty feet away it looks like new paint,from ten feet away it looks like a mosaic of all
the same colored pieces..Was told by a repair facility the cost to remove was $1500. with no guarantee that the paint would not be damaged..I was told there was a company in Florida that could remove the film with out damage to the paint ,but I have not been able to find out any information about their location or company name...I think they were around the Tampa area..Any info would be appreciated..
Don46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I removed the film with plastic razor blades (bought on Amazon box of 50 plus holder) and heat. My heat was the Sun, in Arizona, in late spring (late May), but a heat gun works too. After removing the film I used Goo-Gone to remove the sticky stuff. WD-40 will also work. It came off in small strips and it took me about 30 hours, so this is not an afternoon job, but it only cost about $20 in supplies. I did have some paint come off, but that would have happened even if I'd have paid $1,000 to have it removed. Repainting the damaged area cost less than what it would have cost to have it removed.
Good luck.

Tags
replace, replacement