Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Delamination panic

I have an 07 Itasca Meridian 39k, purchased August of 08. While on a recent trip, a divit appeared in the carpet covering the dinette slide, upon examination, I discovered that the particleboard flooring was disentegrating. While at a campground on my way home, i discovered (with the help of a good friend), that there appeared to be delamination occuring on the outside rear panel behind the refrigerator. Now I'm really sick! I didn't even know what delamination was. I am home and have the coach at the local dealer, and have been in contact with Forest City. They said that they are reviewing the situation. I'm not sure what can be done as the dealer said he's never seen a winnie product do this, especially this new. I researched my warranty and it expired 8/11. I only have 31,500 miles. Does any one know what the outlook might be? Anyone know if Winnebago would extend the warranty a couple of months? I have no evidence of moisture any where in the coach and have had seals and vents checked yearly. Am I down for the count??? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

That will be entirely up to the manufacturer to determine. No one here can say what they will do.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #3

Have pictures?
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Jim, I can't speak for your delam problem but just wanted to welcome you to the 39K members of the forum. There are several of us on here, some of us posting regularly. I have had ours for 2 yrs and so far has been a good one, cept for the fact I just had to put tires on it, age was the factor, not wear. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress please.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the comments. MntDriver, I'll post pics as soon as I get the coach back. doorguy, thanks for the welcome. Until last week we thought our motorhome was the greatest. We had a Sunrise prior and can't stop enjoying the Meridian. We are hoping for a good outcome. We're hoping to be in your neighborhood next month with the grandkids.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Search irv2 for numerous threads on "delamination" as it is a defect of the siding used by many manufacturers of your vintage. See if those descriptions match your issue.

Most RV manufacturers have a program to help with replacing the defective luan-over-fiberglass side panels from that panel manufacturer who is now long out of business. That manufacturer supplied many RV makers with panels. The replacement panels are all fiberglass with no luan. They remove the entire side wall outside panels and replace them with the non luan material. Full cost is in the tens of thousands and many RV manufacturers have a program to defray some of that cost.

It behooves you to do a lot of reading to get up to speed about what others have experienced from your manufacturer.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Update

We took off for the WIT Northwest Regional Ralley in Moses Lake Washington for some fun and research. I spoke with several service techs from large dealerships in Washington who said they had not seen any delamination like that on a later model Journey or Meridian. Now for the good news! I have been in contact with Forest City and today met with the western region service manager. I am very pleased with the responses from Winnebago. He surveyed the damage and also said that he had never seen this problem on a later model Journey or Meridian. He has referred this to the factory and we are hoping for a quick response and a solution. We may be going to the factory for repairs! Stay tuned.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Please keep us posted

I just purchased a 2005 Meridian 39K and now noticed a delamination problem behind the drivers side forward slide near the fridge. Literally just purchased so have not looked into problem yet. Thanks and good luck!
mhviking is offline   Reply With Quote