Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I discovered a separation of the sealant at the roof and gutter on my 2003 Itasca. The sealant is loose from the gutter but still attached at the roof. I was wondering how many of the folks on the Winnebago forum have actually had a delamination caused by a roof-gutter leak. I am in the process of replacing the sealant. Thanks for your replies.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I discovered a separation of the sealant at the roof and gutter on my 2003 Itasca. The sealant is loose from the gutter but still attached at the roof. I was wondering how many of the folks on the Winnebago forum have actually had a delamination caused by a roof-gutter leak. I am in the process of replacing the sealant. Thanks for your replies.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We had a '97 Adventurer that had some delamination but most of it seemed to be related to leaks around a window, the exterior access door to the fridge, and another exterior door (previous owner had not attended to some leaks). In my opinion, you should not have a lot of water into your sidewall due to the caulking issue you describe unless it has been that way for some time. The edge of the roof material overlaps the side wall (not much but some). Seal it up and check the entire seam. If you plan to keep your Winne, might want to consider using Eternabond tape on that seam and you will never have to caulk it again.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Oh-one

If you have not been checking, or having your dealer check, and repair your roof sealant at least annually, you are way behind! Your owners manual & roof warranty require it to be done to prevent water leaks and possible catastrophic roof separation while driving. It is one of those regular maintenance items.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

AFChap, Yes I have been checking my roof. This was the first time for any actual separation in the seam caulking. What I was wondering was,, just how many Winnebago owners of recent year vintage MH have actually had delamination due to the failure of a seam of caulking at the roof-gutter. It seams to me that the design teams at Winnebago have for the most part done a fair job and it is curious that they would design a system and continue to manufacture it if a failure of that system would cause a complete destruction of the sidewall of the MH. This almost decries stupidity on their part. I have read all the post and the manuals that say how critical the seam is , but do we have a idea of the magnitude of the real delaminations ?
Old 07-19-2006, 07:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

oh-one

I'm on my second 2006 Sightseer. The first one was taken back by the dealer because of slide leaks which caused delamination of the floor after 2 days of rain. I only had that coach for 3 days. The second Sightseer has the same problem after the first rain. It's at the dealer for repair. Winnebago is well aware of the leak problems, they should step up to the plate and redesign the slide gaskets and have a recall of all RV with this problem. Winnebago reputation for manufacturing a quality product is on the line.
cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Cappy, I am sorry to hear of your problems with your MH , but was the leak at the roof seam or on the slide gasket ? I have read of several slide leaks but I am asking here for a delamination problem directly caused by a roof-gutter seam leak. Thanks for your reply and I sincerly hope that you get satifaction from Winnebago. I have had a lot of problems with my Horizon but they have repaired them.. Too bad we have to go through so much to enjoy our RVs.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:14 AM   #8
doc
Winnebago Owner

If water won't get into the walls through the gutter seals why do you reckon Winnebago puts caulk in there and why does the factory tell you to check it every six months? Reckon what happens when the inch or so space fills with water?
Wonder why I have seen Winnebagos with water stains on the ceiling where it meets the wall?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote