Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2021, 07:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

DEF major repair bill

Hello all, just bought 2014 View (which was stored for a year, has only 9000 miles total). While driving home, however, DEF and Engine lights flash on, with only 9 starts left! So local MB dealer orders $2,500 for a new DEF tank. Who pays? Will Michigan state emissions laws cover it, or my new RV Complete Gold Service Warranty? Many Qs all at once. I see RV Complete warranty has many, many vague terms, loop-hole conditions to deny such reimbursement of repairs. If so, I will use bail on them, with their 30-day money-back clause. Is this all normal? Instant DEF problems, huge bills, unusable extended warranties? Shall I top off DEF tank every fill-up? Going on road trip soon and wondering. Thanks.
jayowens1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Check Mercedes warranty.
Nebraskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Check everything out

Those warranties aren't worth it in my opinion. And they slow down service because the shop has to get approval from the insurance company that issued the warranty before doing any repairs. (In this environment, you don't want anything that slows down service or adds work for the service provider).

Presumably you baked repairs into the cake, buying an 8 year old unit that has mostly been sitting unused.

New ones are 164K, so look at how much money you saved.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I didn't know what DEF WAS SO From google,
DPF Regeneration Lamp
· Solid: Parked regeneration may be needed.
· Flashing: Parked regeneration is required as soon as possible.
Diesel Particulate Filter reaching system limits.

Perform a parked regen OR bring vehicle to highway speeds to enable automatic regeneration of the filter.

WHAT AM I MISSING? you can't just run the regen?
On the Kubota I run clearing snow I just park and set the engine revs above 2,000 and after a few minutes the light goes off and I'm back in business.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

my wifes son in law used to drop off and pick up roll off containers,he said about once a week he was sitting on the side of the road doing a regen.man he hated that truck.loved when it was in for service and he had to use the old piece of crap that didn't have the def system.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:25 AM   #6
'21 View 24J

Hi - We used to have a 2014 motorhome on a 2013 Sprinter chassis, and saw this in the early days of our travels. For us, it was caused by ignorance on the topic of DEF levels. Our 2013 Sprinter did not have a DEF tank level readout, and we ran the tank low enough to set off the alerts.

What is the current status of your problem? Was the dealer able to clear your faults by topping off the DEF, and then subsequently diagnosed a bad tank? Or did they just tell you that you need a new tank?

Thanks,

Cheers.
Ontario Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Will do, thanks.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Yes, I know there will be repairs and am glad this didn't happen on a road trip. I'm on a learning curve and now know about DEF top-offs. The MB dealer is making an exception for us, since they are booked through end of August and won't normally even look at transit vans. I just cancelled the RV Complete extended warranty. They weren't going to cover this, and the terms and conditions looked sketchy after reading the small print. Thanks for your comments.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

So the DEF systems are better than the older systems? I don't know anything about "regens" but will be learning more soon, I hope. Thanks for your comments.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

The MB dealer is doing me a favor even looking at the Winnie and moved me to the front of a long line. They asked permission to order the parts, so I agreed. I "have" to be on the road soon--it's complicated. I will be grateful for a working motorhome.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

With regards to keeping DEF topped off, it's my understanding DEF has somewhat of a limited shelf life. If you are buying containers of DEF from a store, see if the containers have a date of some sort on them and buy the freshest stuff.

We saw some recommendations somewhere to buy DEF at truck stops, under the theory that they must turn over a significant amount of DEF and it should be "fresher". Made sense to me and that's what I do, for what it's worth.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

DEF and DPF are different things. The DPF (diesel particulate filter) is a filter in the exhaust system that keeps modern diesels from spewing clouds of black smoke when under load. If well designed, the filter will actually stay pretty hot and burn off the collected material passively. Active regenerations of the DPF are done when passive regeneration isn't sufficient. My Ford kicks off an active generation if the pressure drop across the DPF gets too high (one sensor), if the integrated particulate load gets too high (a calculation), or if I've traveled 500 miles since the last regen.

DEF is diesel exhaust fluid (urea) which is used to minimize NOx emissions. My truck burns a gallon or so of the stuff every 1000 miles. It'll use more under heavy loads.

You also likely have EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) which routes a fraction of the exhaust gases right back into the combustion chamber to act as inerts. This keeps the combustion temperatures down a bit and helps control NOx emissions. It also kills the efficiency of the diesel and the EGR cooler can eventually plug with soot.

Anyway, these are common acronyms for diesels. I expect all new vehicles (gas and diesel) will run DPFs eventually.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:11 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

anyone that has ever worked on the old oldsmobile 5.7 diesels will relate to the intakes plugging with soot from the egr.i have seen ports so plugged you couldn't get your pinky finger thru the holes.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:05 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

DEF shelf life depends largely on how it is stored. It needs to be kept above freezing and not exposed to sunlight. All auto parts stores and even Home Depot sells it in 2.5 gal jugs so no reason to buy it in advance.

In California any emissions control system component is covered for 7 years or 70,000 miles. It used to be longer but the auto companies got it reduced.

The problem with DEF is that it depends on NOx sensors functioning properly, a tank heater functioning properly, and good software programming. With my Chevy Duramax truck I had problems with all three areas and 4 out of 5 diesel mechanics were worthless in diagnosing the problems correctly. I had so many trips cut short by these problems that put the truck into limp mode with a maximum speed of 55 mph (very dangerous for merging into traffic on freeways) that I finally sold the camper and the truck.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:29 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayowens1000 View Post
Hello all, just bought 2014 View (which was stored for a year, has only 9000 miles total). While driving home, however, DEF and Engine lights flash on, with only 9 starts left! So local MB dealer orders $2,500 for a new DEF tank. Who pays? Will Michigan state emissions laws cover it, or my new RV Complete Gold Service Warranty? Many Qs all at once. I see RV Complete warranty has many, many vague terms, loop-hole conditions to deny such reimbursement of repairs. If so, I will use bail on them, with their 30-day money-back clause. Is this all normal? Instant DEF problems, huge bills, unusable extended warranties? Shall I top off DEF tank every fill-up? Going on road trip soon and wondering. Thanks.
Unfortunately, most extended warranty plans exclude emissions.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:40 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

We will NEVER buy another warranty. We had a 2014 Navion and tried several times to get that stupid extended warranty to cover. NOT ONCE. We traded that for a barely used 2019 View and have had numerous Mercedes issues but all were still under warranty. We had to have ours towed away and a new ignition switch installed. Mercedes said that was common on sprinters. I’m hoping all the kinks have worked out.
AZ Okies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:07 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Your Sprinter is included in the very recent AEM (approved emissions modification) that was part of the Bluetec emissions scandal settlement with the DOJ. Your vehicle either already had the AEM completed or it is due to be completed in which case you will receive a letter from Mercedes. If it already had the AEM there is an additional 4 years warranty on most of the emissions related items. If it did not have it, once you have it completed you will receive a check for several thousand although previous owners are entitled to money as well and if they put in a claim it will reduce your check by about $900. I would look into this and see if Mercedes will step up. Even though the AEM does not include the DEF tank or pump it does include NOX sensors which are part of the DEF system. Even if they don't cover all of it your settlement check will help. https://www.mbbluetecsettlement.com/
Old 08-01-2021, 05:38 PM   #18
2016 View 24J Profile

I bought my 2016 View with 2,400 miles but it was nearly 3 years old and had spent most of its life sitting. I had the dealership change both the engine oil and flush out the DEF tank before taking it home. DEF comes with a coded date of manufacture and should not be used more than one year of age, 2 years if stored under optimal conditions. Topping off the tank is a bad idea. Better to drain and flush the tank once a year and start each season with fresh DEF.
FYI a diesel fuel/water separator filter is also a must to prevent serious and costly damage to your engine. The factory filter is not see through nor will it block water from entering the injection system to prevent damage from a water contaminated fill.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:43 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
I bought my 2016 View with 2,400 miles but it was nearly 3 years old and had spent most of its life sitting. I had the dealership change both the engine oil and flush out the DEF tank before taking it home. DEF comes with a coded date of manufacture and should not be used more than one year of age, 2 years if stored under optimal conditions. Topping off the tank is a bad idea. Better to drain and flush the tank once a year and start each season with fresh DEF.
FYI a diesel fuel/water separator filter is also a must to prevent serious and costly damage to your engine. The factory filter is not see through nor will it block water from entering the injection system to prevent damage from a water contaminated fill.
Can you share which filter/water separator you went with? Does it replace the OEM or is it additional?
Old 08-01-2021, 08:11 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Emissions Recall

I’m just wondering. Since DEF is an emissions reducer, would this possibly be covered under the current BlueTec emissions recall?
aa318906 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair