Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2021, 08:14 PM   #21
2016 View 24J Profile

The filter/separator is in addition to the OE filter. I installed it inline between the fuel tank and the OE filter that way it protects everything down stream from the tank. The separator that I installed is a Goldenrod 496 with a water block filter cartridge and clear plastic bowl for easy viewing. It has a working psi rating of 150 and 17 microns. The in tank supply pump is rated at 60 psi which many of the separators can not handle. The Sprinter engine compartment has plenty of room to install the filter with easy access for cartridge change.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #22
2016 View 24J Profile

aa318906 I don’t believe the recall deals with DEF (I’ve had mine done already) but emissions are covered by 7/70,000 warranty. The only issue I can foresee is if the failure is due to expired DEF I’m not sure that would qualify as a warranty item. Aging DEF forms damaging crystals which can cause expensive repairs.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:56 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I had the same DEF problem with my 2020 GMC Duramax. It was covered by the manuf. warrantee for 10 years per EPA regulations. I would expect Mercedes would be the same in the USA.It is recommended on GM diesels not to top off but only fill when def refill light comes on.

DEF is a different system than the regeneration system which is used to clean exhaust. Short trips and long idles can clog it.
Nebraskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:38 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayowens1000 View Post
Hello all, just bought 2014 View (which was stored for a year, has only 9000 miles total). While driving home, however, DEF and Engine lights flash on, with only 9 starts left! So local MB dealer orders $2,500 for a new DEF tank. Who pays? Will Michigan state emissions laws cover it, or my new RV Complete Gold Service Warranty? Many Qs all at once. I see RV Complete warranty has many, many vague terms, loop-hole conditions to deny such reimbursement of repairs. If so, I will use bail on them, with their 30-day money-back clause. Is this all normal? Instant DEF problems, huge bills, unusable extended warranties? Shall I top off DEF tank every fill-up? Going on road trip soon and wondering. Thanks.
I was warned by a garage that I had not been using DEF.
Carbon accumulation was the result.
As I have always kept DEF topped up - I protested as to the accuracy of cause.
They then said I should accelerate hard to burn off the carbon.
I live in Colorado - plenty of hard use climbing hills.
I opened mail the next day -/wow oh wow
A letter dated July 21 2021 from Mercedes Benze.
Warrenty extension to a total of 11 years or 120,000 miles. REGARDLESS OF OWNERSHIP !!!!
This covers the replacement of Exhaust Gas Turbocharger
If repairs have already been carried out, you may revive reimbursed by prentation of documentary evidence to your Mercedes Dealership.
MarinerGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

DEF does not go bad unless you have the RV in subzero temperatures and it freezes. Usually DEF is consumed at 1.5 gal DEF per 100 gallons of diesel fuel. At 15 mpg that equates to roughly 1 gallon of DEF used per 1500 miles driven.

Most OEM fuel flters incorporate a water separator and it is only the aftermarket fuel filters where one may have a problem. I use a diesel fuel additive that prevents algae forming in the diesel fuel and this prevents the very expensive repairs when the fuel line becomes clogged.

A problem people were experiencing with DPF was when they were driving short distances and then turning off the engine before the DPF cleaning cycle had completed. Manufacturers were advising customers to keep the engine runnning until the cycle was completed to minimize problems with clogged DPF filters. DPF filter maintenance is part of the cost of running a diesel powered vehicle and part of the reason why operators of Class 4 truck fleets are eager to convert over to all electric ones. Fleet operators save money and everyone else benefits from cleaner air.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:09 PM   #26
2016 View 24J Profile

Elkman, I’m sorry but I must disagree with a few of your statements
1) Yes DEF can and will freeze in sub zero temperatures but when it thaws out it will work perfectly well. It certainly does have a “shelf life” and can do real damage if used beyond the expiration date.
2) OEM filters do have a built in separator but they are not able to block water from infecting the injection system and causing damage.
I’m sorry to have to disagree but as we all know misleading information can be dangerous
Old 08-03-2021, 03:02 PM   #27
Tom in GG

DEF is mostly water, may have froze and damaged tank. I am not aware of a drain plug for the DEF tank. Would be impossible to winterize without drain plug. Never put anything other than proper DEF into tank. If MBZ finds contamination warranty void. MBZ is surely in the hole on my 2013 View Profile, much work done under emissions and original warranty. We live in So Calif near coast, no freezing, and need to winterize not necessary.

I don’t think I will ever buy another diesel or German Vehicle. Service costs sky high due to fear of lack of proper maintenance causing expensive repairs. The only warranty worth buying would be from the chassis manufacturer [MBZ]. Was offered extra warranty at time of purchase by dealer along with other expensive coating, tire rim locks. When they said they were concerned about only my protection I said well then sell it to me at your cost. Immediately came down to $5000 from $10,000, so quickly, I thought surely that was not their cost, still turned it down. I can fix or replace almost anything in the coach anyway for less than that and be done much sooner. Mercedes of Long Beach has been pretty quick on getting their work done on chassis. But it seems to be under new ownership and service prices went way up.

You are lucky you have 2014, those came with 2 door Norcold reefer. Ours has 1 door Domitic RML8555, WORTHLESS. Don’t ever put a remote temperature sensor in the fridge unless you want to be throwing out lots of food. What the wife don’t know won’t hurt her.

Cheers
tomingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:22 AM   #28
2016 View 24J Profile

Re: Fuel Filter

Sorry for the delayed response to your request for pics. The filter is a 17 micron Goldenrod water block and has a small drain cock at the bottom of the bowl. It is installed before the OE filter. The supply line comes directly from the fuel pump in the tank and goes to the OE filter.
It’s so easy to see at a glance if there is any contamination in the fuel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A5ECAFED-6AA2-4F5F-8077-850EEFF71B7F.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	180821   Click image for larger version

Name:	BCB57B28-D1C1-42A1-89CB-183F277A2521.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	180822  

AlanO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags