Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2007, 05:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I've already restrung one of our shades and found it to be relatively easy. Now, I've got to restring another one! With the first one Winnebago gave me enough string to restring just one shade. Now I have a roll of shade string from Winnebago and am trying to figure out the length needed for one shade before I cut. Is it as simple and the directions state; "Add a 1/2 inch to the length of the shade? I remember using long lenghts so you can slide the center and bottom rail on. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Dave
Old 05-07-2007, 05:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I've already restrung one of our shades and found it to be relatively easy. Now, I've got to restring another one! With the first one Winnebago gave me enough string to restring just one shade. Now I have a roll of shade string from Winnebago and am trying to figure out the length needed for one shade before I cut. Is it as simple and the directions state; "Add a 1/2 inch to the length of the shade? I remember using long lenghts so you can slide the center and bottom rail on. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Dave
Old 05-07-2007, 05:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have never done it but here is a service tip on restringing from winnebago. Restringing

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

HI Dave,

I just restrung two shades myself. In the first case I tried to guesstimate the lenght. I was close but a touch too short so I added a lenght using a fishermans knot and it works for now. When I thought about it I realized that the four lengths of string on my blind,(the're the wide ones) were really two lenghts of string doubled at each side of the spring. I figured out that if I carefully removed the one undamaged side of string I could just simply cut a new one the same lenght. So that's what I did. SHORT AGAIN! but with one side really long. What happened was I folded the string in half equally not allowing for the differences in snaking the string back and forth across the frame. I suggest that if you try to match up the cord, first mark the point that the cord is connected to the spring. call one leg no.1 and one leg no2. One should be longer than the other. Carefully record the tracks each cord takes coming out of the blind. Then cut a new piece of cord to match the old one and place a mark on the new one wherever it lines up with the old one. Attach the new cord to the spring at the mark. Then restring the new no1 and no2. in reverse order from how they came out. I think this should give you the same amount of cord to do the job right. As for the center rail, what I did was to string the cords through the rail, then run them crosswise on the bottom side of the center rail. 2 on the left to the right edge and 2 on the right to the left edge. Then I carefully threaded the top of the day blind into the channel on the bottom of the center rail untill it was half way across. I then stopped and threaded the cord into the holes the were not covered by the rail. Remembering the the inside cord goes to the outside and visa versa. After that was done I pushed the entire day shade into the rail untill the other holes were exposed on the other side of the rail. I then threaded those holes and then recentered the blind. After that it was just a matter of squeezing the shade down, running the end through the end caps, mounting the lower rail and attaching the tighteners. Hope this helps and that's not too long

Joe
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Jim, that link is where I got the 1/2inch extra length. But, the real issue is what Joe talks about, i.e. the criss/cross run takes much more string. Especially when you need to slide out the bottom rail. I cut off more than several feet from the tightener end at the bottom of the shade when I did the first shade.
Joe, I'll try your idea of trying to judge the lenght using the good side.
Thanks guys,
Dave
Old 05-07-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

On a slightly different tangent, has anybody replaced their day/night shades with something else?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

FYI Joe, I completed the restringing this afternoon and it went without a hitch. Your suggestion was perfect. I just matched the longest line that was unbroken on one side and that did it! I did find what I read on another thread, that the gromets were inverted where the string made a 90' angle in the middle rail.
Thanks again,
Dave
Old 05-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Instead of the shade string, I restrung with 50# test poly fish line...4 years and good as new....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

RKL you can bet that once I've used up the 4oo' roll of shade string Winnebago gave me I'll be buying that 50# test poly fish line!
Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Getting the right length for a shade is almost a $64,000 question. I bought some string form Winnebago a year ago at Forest City thinking I was following their calculation for 3 large shades. Come to find out that figure is for half the shade and must be doubled, so I ended up with enough for one large shade and one of the little ones.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hey Dave,

Glad to hear it worked. I'm like you, I called Winnebago when the second shade broke and after a little whining they agreed to send me enough line for a "couple" of shades. I was surprised when it turned out to be 2 300' rolls. I too noticed the grommets installed in the wrong side. I think the combination of improperly installed grommets and too much tension on the tighteners was the cause of my shade failures. Of course I too instantly thought about some good strong poly fish line but you know..... "It won't look right on one shade and won't match the others". What are ya gonna do?
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hi Joe,
The first time I restrung a shade I did it on the floor. This time I did it on a table and it was noticably easier to do on the table!! The Winnebago string seems pretty strong and will hold up a great deal longer if there's no rough edges. The key is getting the "head" of the gromet on the side of the rail where the string makes a 90' bend. That's catching everyone!!
Good luck,
Dave
Old 05-08-2007, 05:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Last year I called the company in Indiana to see about replacing two shades when the strings broke. They offered to restring for the cost of shipping it back by including a check. Couple weeks later I got them back as good as new. Look on the underside of the bottom bracket and it should have a company name and phone number on it.

03 VW Beetle TDI
Tony Van Helden is offline   Reply With Quote