Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am wondering if anyone has ever performed the retrofit to install a pull-out workstation in the dashboard of a class A. I am specifically looking at the Sightseer, but other models may apply.

I see that there are part numbers in the on-line .pdf parts manual. Has anyone had experience in retrofitting on of these? What does it attach to on the dash? What is under the top surface that I need to be aware of is I start cutting a big hole in the top of the dash?

I saw one in the 2006 model and it looks to be a doable job.

Wayne
2004 Sightseer 30B Ford

sightseer 30B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am wondering if anyone has ever performed the retrofit to install a pull-out workstation in the dashboard of a class A. I am specifically looking at the Sightseer, but other models may apply.

I see that there are part numbers in the on-line .pdf parts manual. Has anyone had experience in retrofitting on of these? What does it attach to on the dash? What is under the top surface that I need to be aware of is I start cutting a big hole in the top of the dash?

I saw one in the 2006 model and it looks to be a doable job.

Wayne
2004 Sightseer 30B Ford

Old 12-04-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I talked to a Winnebago customer service guy and decided I didn't want to try to retrofit one of theirs.
I got a pull-out one at Quartzite (Gamblers)for $20 that fits on top of the dash and didn't require cutting a big hole in the dash. Four long self tapping metal screws hold it securely.

It's grey and my dash is beige - DW has been after me to take it off and paint it - guess I ought to do that one of these days....
Old 12-05-2006, 07:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

It is an affully big hole to cut inthe dash. I am less worried about the hole cutting than I am about what I would find underneath to keep me from installing it after I cut the hole.

If there is just empty space a couple of inches below the surface, there may be room.

I must say that I now remember that th eonstallation I saw was on an adventurer, not the Sightseer. May make a difference in what is under the dash.

Do you have a brand name for the unit you installed? Do you think I could find the manufacturer on line?

If it is a surface mount, I think I could make one myself that would work.

Wayne

Old 12-05-2006, 10:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The one I got is probably from some other motorhome builder and has no manufacturer on it.
The stuff at Quartzite is pretty much overruns and surplus material.
I was at Gambler's the other day and they still have a couple of them. I think you would probably have to sand and paint them though

The dash material under the padded covering is metal.
You can probably see way up under there by pulling the carpet covered front panel under the dash on the passenger's side. There are only two screws holding the panel on as I recall.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Clay L, Do know if Quartzite (Gamblers) has a website or phone number along with a part number for the workstation? I would like to get one for my 02 Brave and mounting it on top sounds like the way to go.

Thanks,

Jim

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JnGOnTheGo:
Clay L, Do know if Quartzite (Gamblers) has a website or phone number along with a part number for the workstation? I would like to get one for my 02 Brave and mounting it on top sounds like the way to go.
Thanks,
Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, I would be surprised if they have a web site, but I will pick up a phone nunber for you when I go back into Quartzite - probably tommorow.
I don't think there will be a part number either, they do sell new stuff with regular stock numbers but the dash pull-out stations are in the surplus section in the back. I will ask them what you should ask for if you call them.

Clay
Old 12-07-2006, 09:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the time. If by chance you could send me a picture of the one you installed that would be nice if you have the time.

Again Thanks for the time to help,

Jim

2002 Brave 34D
Old 12-10-2006, 05:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JnGOnTheGo:
Thanks for the time. If by chance you could send me a picture of the one you installed that would be nice if you have the time.

Again Thanks for the time to help,

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

The phone number and three shots of the workstation are below. It looks like they have two left, a grey one and a beige one. The grey one is in better shape than the beige one.
It would have to be spray painted I think. They are selling them for $25.
Gamblers RV 928 927 5966

ONE

TWO

THREE
Old 12-10-2006, 06:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the phone number and the pictures. By the way did you have to put something under yours when you mounted it to the top of the dash?

Again thanks for the info,

Jim

2002 Brave 34D
Old 12-10-2006, 08:23 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the phone number and the pictures. By the way did you have to put something under yours when you mounted it to the top of the dash?

Again thanks for the info,

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I glued a couple of pieces of shelving together to provide a level surface because of the higher part of the dash at the back.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Hi guys I have just been fitting a relay pack under mine, heres a picture which will give you some idea of whats underneath the workstation.

The workstation almost touches the metal under the relay pack theres just room for those yellow wires.

If it will help at all I can take some more pictures tomorrow.

Olley
Old 12-13-2006, 02:11 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Olley, what are you doin'? What's with the relay pack?

Curious.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:57 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Hi troth I love to scheme things, thats half the reason to own an RV its one big toy.

I got fed up with the porch light it keeps blowing bulbs and I also wanted more light around the RV when we arrive late on to a pitch, theirs not much available in 12v but change to 120v and theirs loads, I found these.

So I thought lets go over the top 3 down each side and two at the rear, all individually controlled by that 12v relay pack, the one in the centre is a latching relay to turn them all off or on in one go.

And this consul is were I contol it from along with my camera's when I get around to fitting the rest of them.

Wished you hadn't asked now hey.

Merry Xmas

Olley
Old 12-14-2006, 06:17 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Olley, I like it. Troth - thanks for asking.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:36 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Olley, I like it. But eight lights ablaze on a foggy night ought to make your rig look pretty "spacey". -Wait, is that the theme from Twilight Zone I'm hearing?...

LOL
Old 12-14-2006, 08:43 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Hi forgot to say that I am fitting them all with 11 watt compact flourescents. So even allowing for the loss using the telly inverter, the new Porch light consumes no more power than the old 12v 22 watt and gives more light.

Olley
Old 12-15-2006, 08:01 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olley:
Hi forgot to say that I am fitting them all with 11 watt compact flourescents. So even allowing for the loss using the telly inverter, the new Porch light consumes no more power than the old 12v 22 watt and gives more light.

Olley </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Olley, do you know if the compact flourescent lights will work ok with "modified sine-wave" 110v from the inverter? I like your idea, but we do a lot of dry camping & I don't want to burn them out because of the inverter isn't a true sine wave. Thanks.

Happy Trails,
Duner
Old 12-16-2006, 08:37 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Hi Duner, never even thought about it Now I am thinking about it I don't think it will effect them. The neons in the centre of the ceiling use some electronics to convert 12v to 110? and I doubt they use pure. Perhaps somebody else on here knows?

But time will tell, it maybe the flaw in my plan At this moment I only have three fitted and they work ok but I doubt they have been on for more than 30 mins in total.

Olley
Old 04-04-2007, 05:18 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Hi guys could be as Duner suggested, compacts don't like m/sinewave. I have only fitted 3 so far and the first has blown twice and one of the other's once.

I thought at first it might be vibration but then someone suggested that the internal electronics of the compact flouresents may be damaged by M/sinewave. Bit like thyristers I believe.

If thats the case then I either buy a purewave inverter or fit ordinary bulbs.

Olley