Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

'03 Journey DL. Dash heater fan not working except on high. Any ideas, comment or past experiences? Would imagine the fuse to be OK, the motor does run. Thought I'd ask here before crawling into the dash.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Dash heater fan

'03 Journey DL. Dash heater fan not working except on high. Any ideas, comment or past experiences? Would imagine the fuse to be OK, the motor does run. Thought I'd ask here before crawling into the dash.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

On a car, when they only run on high no matter what speed is selected, its the resistor bank, & its usually in the ductwork somewhere.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
gMw
Winnebago Owner

Hi, I had the opposite problem in Damon Motorhome, in that coach there were separate fuses, one for high speed, and one for the other speeds. The high speed fuse was blown. Not sure what my 02 Journey has. I'd check all fuses, the fan switch itself, and look for a resistor pack (which is used to regulate fan speeds). If you can see at the heater motor, trace the wires back to the resistor pack. Then check out with a meter or circuit tester.

Sorry I can't be more helpful
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I JUST HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 03 SUNCRUISER. The problem turned out to be a resistor or thermal fuse attached to the back of the blower housing. Access is under the hood on the far left. The cost of the part was $14.00 and took about 20 minutes to change.According to my W/O. the part # was 1 103930-01-710, resistor-fused.
usafflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I also had this problem on my 2004 unit. It was a relay that is attached to the outside of the blower box. The Fan operates on the resistor until you switch to high and then the relay turns on for high speed. The existing relay is rated for 30amps. I bought a relay rated for 40 amps and waterproof. Part Number 330-079 at Partsexpress.com for $2.50.

2004 Winnebago Adventure 37B
Charles99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

It was the switch. Cheap made in India part.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

gunny,
I have the same problem in my '98 Brave. How did you determine it to be the switch itself? Where did you find a suitable replacement switch. I have also been informed that on at least one other unit the fan was wired in reverse, causing a similar problem. Thanks for any additional information you can provide.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:01 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

DANG! I'm on the way to the dealer (another minor problem) and was going to mention this EXACT thing! Great heat on max...zip on the other 3 settings.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:07 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Belgique,

Please let us know what the dealer finds for you. Apparently it is NOT an isolated problem.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

OK guys......

In my past automotive experience I figured it was going to be the resistor pack but posted on here anyway just to see if I could save a littel time, effort and brain power by relying on the vast pool of knowledge here.
The reisitor pack is in fact in the duct work for the dash air/heat. In my '03 Journey, open the fron hood, facing the MH look on the left side, a little lower than shoulder high about half way to the headlight. Resistor pack has a plug with 4 wires, orange, white, green and red. Pack is held in with (2) phillips screws, back one kind of akward to get to . Pull th eplug, take out the (2) screws and it comes right out, easy to see if the resistors are intact or not as soon as it comes out. Half the gasket comes out, hald stays.
Switch is real easy to take out. (6) screws and the top comes right off the dash. Pull the plug off of the back of the switch, same red, orange, white and green wires. Mine was real hard to get to turn loose, nasty smelly grease dripping out the bottom of the switch. On the front, pry off the knob, no screw or allen, turn off the nut and push the switch out.
Looks real familiar, going to hit the local NAPA store tomorrow and see what they can match up. Looks like a common switch so don't see it to be a problem. If it is, the Freightliner factory is 40 miles south of here or the Freightliner dealer is 40 miles north. That'll work as I have other business with their next door neighbor.
15 minute job getting to the switch, 10 minute one to get to the resistor pack. Don't let a dealer charge you for 4 or 6 hours.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:32 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Gunny,
Have you determined that it was in fact the resistor pack that was causing the problem, and if so can you provide a part number for the replacement?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:00 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by usafflyboy:
I JUST HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 03 SUNCRUISER. The problem turned out to be a resistor or thermal fuse attached to the back of the blower housing. Access is under the hood on the far left. The cost of the part was $14.00 and took about 20 minutes to change.According to my W/O. the part # was 1 103930-01-710, resistor-fused. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

usafflyboy, Welcome to the forum thanks for your info and keep it coming. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:44 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Great job flyboy!!

Welcome to the forum and especially the Winnebago Industries Owners Forum!

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:45 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

KazooTom: we didn't get to it since they found that my water heater is toast (glad I bought the insurance!) They don't normally work on the chassis stuff but would look at it. Now that I see the other posts, I'll try it myself. Steve
Old 08-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

I solved the Resistor Problem Hooray

I have had 3 resistor failures causing the heater blower to only work on High. I bought a 20 amp DC motor speed control and added that in between the switch and the blower. Now I can set any speed from very slow to full on and don't have to worry about the resistor going out again. So far I believe I have solved the problem.

Douglas
Sturgis, SD
Douglas180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:47 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2002 Journey. replaced my Blower resistor today because the fan only worked on high.
I used a part from Autozone that fits a 2002 model Ford 350 truck.
Part number: MT1811
Works great.
$14
AussieF3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

I did that too, but

I'm glad that worked for you. Did for me for a while too. Right now I have used the variable speed controller for about 3 months. I really like the results because I can set it so it is quiet but still moves plenty of air. Hopefully it works longer than the resistor pack.

Douglas
Old 10-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Where and how did you mount the variable speed controller in the cab??
AussieF3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieF3B View Post
Where and how did you mount the variable speed controller in the cab??
I put the control under the dash on the left side of the center console. I wanted to attach it to metal so that the metal would act as a heat sink.

I placed the switch/control knob above the original control by drilling a 5/16" hole through the dash.

I cut the original wires going to the blower motor in the bottom of the center console and connected the output wires from the speed control to the wires going to the blower motor.

It seems to work really well. I can run the fan at any speed I want from very slow to full. I left the original switch in place so as not to have a hole in the dash.

I also connected the wires from the back of the original switch to the input side of the new speed control.

I inserted some picture links into this message. If you have trouble seeing them let me know and I will place them a different way.

Also this was done on a 2014 Winni Forza.

Douglas