Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2016, 05:53 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

I have a dash cam. I looked at GoPro but decided on a dash cam. My dash cam runs full time. It only keeps video if there is movement in the frame or if there is a jar, or bump. So if someone hits our RV it will keep a recording of the event.

I also have cameras at home connected to my WiFi. I can view a live feed from our house at any time plus the cameras keep video whenever there is movement or sound.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:04 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post
I look at it like this; I use a 64GB card which is good for at least one whole days driving. If something happens during that day that would justify keeping the video, chances are I would note what time it happened.

I don't know what kind of computer you have but mine loads up video faster than I can sit down to get comfortable. All I have to do is fast forward to just before I think the incident might have happened and start watching. It hasn't been an issue. I do all of my deleting manually which is the way I prefer it. I just format the card at the end of the day and I'm ready again.

With individual files I might have to view 3 or 4 to find what I'm looking for. Opening and closing videos isn't my cup of tea.

As far as stitching files together, well, that would just be silly. I use the dash cam only to record the rare incident that would warrant keeping video. While I am fully versed in editing video, a dash cam, for me, is just to record "emergency" type events and one long file would be preferable.

I respect your reasons, however I have found that anything that requires a manual step will get tiring very quickly.....and then you won't have video of an event you really wish you had. If the camera simply keeps overwriting the oldest 5 minute video file, it becomes "hands off" and you can forget about it until you have a file worth keeping.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I bought two of the el-cheapos below. I figured at that price I couldn't lose much! So far so good! They can be set for loop or motion recording!

https://www.citizengoods.com/sales/d...with-2-options

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

I have a Blackvue 650 two channel. It has a camera facing forward and a camera facing rear. It stays on all the time, but does go into a "parked" mode which uses reduced power. If the battery gets low (I select the level) the camera turns itself off.
If you have a hotspot in the vehicle, it can communicate over the web with your web enabled device at home, this includes real time voice communications with whoever is in the vehicle as well as video. You can take the micro SD card out and work with it on a computer, or download files to blue tooth device.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:31 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

My Garmin came with one, but all I need is the grrat GPS.
In 25 years of RVing, I have never had a "need" for a cam. And I would never re-see our trip....unless something really nifty happened, like Bigfoot peeing off a bridge.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:09 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

I have been looking for a cam myself and can't decide which one to go with. I hadn't considered a GoPro, sounds like a good option.

DW and I are currently full time and have a couple of years left in the daily grind prior to hitting the road. i work for a school system and had a conversation with our transportation director one day that prompted my search for a dash cam that I didn't see mentioned here but perhaps alluded to.

There is a growing trend for drivers to cut off school buses that seems to be more prevalent on the west coast at this time. The drivers cut off the school bus and hit their brakes so they can be rear ended in an attempt to recieve insurance settlements. I have not read about this happening to RV's, but would assume an RV would be a likely candidate for this type of scam. The dash cam, as explained to me, may be the only version of the truth in such an incident that accounts for the incident.

Thanks for the thread, I now have another option in my search.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:51 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
My Garmin came with one, but all I need is the grrat GPS.
In 25 years of RVing, I have never had a "need" for a cam. And I would never re-see our trip....unless something really nifty happened, like Bigfoot peeing off a bridge.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
I actually saw that last time I was in Seattle!!!!

Tags
dash