Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-18-2021, 08:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Dash blower making noise

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a sightseer 2004 and the fan makes a abnormal high pitch noise when I turn it on, wether on cold or warm. I see that there are some nuts and bolt in the passenger side at the feet and was wondering if someone know if that is the way to take the motor out and check out the problem.

Thanks
licxmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:10 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

These types of troubleshooting are really hard because we can’t hear the sound.
Does it get louder, or more high frequency when the fan speed is turned up? Or, does it make the same sound at every speed.

If it gets louder when the speed of the fan is turned up, then it’s most likely attributable to the fan motor itself.

If so,...

The motor bushing may be going out, OR, the fan blades could be just slightly rubbing on something like a shroud.

If it were me, and I am me, I’d be getting in there, take things apart, and getting to the fan to hear exactly what part of the fan mechanism is making the sound. This is where a stethoscope could help.

Perhaps even a small spray of silicone at the bushings of the fan, may do the trick.

It all depends on the culprit...let us know what you find...
Old 03-18-2021, 10:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you Wyatt.
I don’t or I didn’t knew how to access the motor. I did found however that if take out the air vents from the passenger side, I can then remove that carpeted piece that hold them and that way I have access to the entire motor.
The noise is the same at all speeds and it is just annoying. If I cant take it off I will make a recording of it.
licxmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:04 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by licxmar View Post
Thank you Wyatt.
I don’t or I didn’t knew how to access the motor. I did found however that if take out the air vents from the passenger side, I can then remove that carpeted piece that hold them and that way I have access to the entire motor.
The noise is the same at all speeds and it is just annoying. If I cant take it off I will make a recording of it.
But it’s only making this sound when the fan is on, correct? In other words, if you turn the fan completely off, the noise stops, correct? If so, I can’t imagine that it’s not the fan motor itself.

Again, if you can get to the motor, try spraying where the fan spins in the bushing with silicone, and see if that stops, or even quiets it down.

I doubt that’s going to be the fix, but at least it will tell you that you may need a new fan.

Tags
dash, noise