Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I would like to install a curtain rod up above and behind the driver and passenger seats. When driving along, the chassis air conditioner would not work as hard if the space was confined. Also, this would make for a nice privacy for the house when parked.( since my seats don't swivel) The problem is, finding a spring extend tension rod that is sturdy enough to span the width of the coach. Have any of you considered this or have done it?
Thanks

FireStarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I would like to install a curtain rod up above and behind the driver and passenger seats. When driving along, the chassis air conditioner would not work as hard if the space was confined. Also, this would make for a nice privacy for the house when parked.( since my seats don't swivel) The problem is, finding a spring extend tension rod that is sturdy enough to span the width of the coach. Have any of you considered this or have done it?
Thanks

Old 04-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You could use a closet pole that has cups at both ends you could stain and use a heavy drape to match woodwork and fabric in your layout.
Than if you figure out how to turn seats you would just have to remove when you have company.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I didn't think of that . That is a great idea.
Thanks

Old 04-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

FireStarter,

We used a retractible clothes line mounted as high as possible to the front side of the cabinet behind the navigator and the small receiver on a cabinet above the driver. It is tight enough to hang a sheet over it with very little droop. The best part is that it's nearly invisible when stretched across the coach. We have had dozens of people in the coach and no one has noticed it yet until we point it out. Our original intent was to retract it when not in use, but we just leave it out now.
It did make it easier to cool the front even tho we use the generator and house A/C more now than we used to.

Dave
Old 04-12-2007, 06:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

That is also an excellent idea.
Thanks much for responding.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

You've got a great idea there, Firestarter. I used to have a Class-C and put a piece of heavy clear plastic behind the seats. Worked wonders to keep the cool up front.

Also worked well when I decided to take trek to Maine over Christmas one time (don't ask why, I still don't know myself). Got so cold at nite, the condensation froze on the INSIDE of the windshield, but the living area was still bearable... almost. Important thing was the temp-difference between the front and rear areas. Definitely worthwhile project!

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the post. I had considered a similar idea, but to insulate the coach from the windshield on cold nights.

I find running the generator and roof air while on the move is about the only exercise my generator ever gets and improves my fuel milage too.

I've never heard of a Class A coach that didn't have swivel front seats. I'm curious why would Winnie use them?
Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Adventurer,
I have the Adventurer model 38T.
My dealer told me that because of the center living room arrangement, the front sits do not swivel. I tried and there is not enough room for it to turn without it hitting the wall or steering wheel. Maybe there is a trick to this that I have not learned yet.
Thanks

Old 04-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

You need to adjust the front to back movement of the drivers chair as you swivel it around. I have to change the angle of the seat back as well as change the pitch on the steering wheel.

The Navigator Chair just needs front to back adjustment and then swivel around.

Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #11

Because of the floorplan we have the TV is on the floor behind the passenger seat. If we want to watch the TV (me and or the grandkids) while DH is driving at night the TV will reflect off the windshield....not a good thing. Even using a blanket would not totally block it out. I bought two room darkening curtain panels and a tension shower rod that fits between the two sides of the coach. The darkening curtains keep out the light from the TV so it does not glare on the windshield. I store it in our closet and fold up the curtains when not in use.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:39 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

FireStarter, if you have electric seats you should be able to menuver the seat forward and back and tilt to move it around. I have a Workhorse with large steering wheel and can get drivers seat around tight but a can do. Have to tilt steering wheel down to get fully around after getting arm of chair by it. Its alot easier to turn it back.
Passenger seat no problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:59 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

FireStarter....We made a makeshift air dam last summer to see if it helped on a long trip with cooling. It did. On ours we're only going to use it when driving and the pole only has to span 6' because of the the slide. I'm going to use a spring loaded curtain rod and hang a clear shower curtain off of it. This way we can still see in back and the wife can move through the opening.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote