Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

We are currently at Freightliner in Tolleson, AZ for our M3 chassis maintenance and I asked that they check out the cooling system performance since we were having overheating issues coming into El Paso (where we have never had trouble before.)

They checked out the fan speed and what do you know - it was 2-300 RPM low at the engine RPM points where they have a benchmark

Since we have a rally scheduled all next week, they are taking us on the 30th for the 12 hour job of replacing both the hydraulic pump and hydraulic fan motor.

They also found the coolant surge tank with a very cracked filler neck so it is being replaced with a CLEAR surge tank from a "Century Class" Freightliner truck. They had to call Freightliner to get permission to adapt the truck tank for the coach. The adaptation involved cutting with a torch the existing tank mounting bracket.

We now also have a brand-new hydraulic fluid cooler thanks to a recall. This is the bottom-most cooler under our side radiator.

Our coach keeps getting newer and newer

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We are currently at Freightliner in Tolleson, AZ for our M3 chassis maintenance and I asked that they check out the cooling system performance since we were having overheating issues coming into El Paso (where we have never had trouble before.)

They checked out the fan speed and what do you know - it was 2-300 RPM low at the engine RPM points where they have a benchmark

Since we have a rally scheduled all next week, they are taking us on the 30th for the 12 hour job of replacing both the hydraulic pump and hydraulic fan motor.

They also found the coolant surge tank with a very cracked filler neck so it is being replaced with a CLEAR surge tank from a "Century Class" Freightliner truck. They had to call Freightliner to get permission to adapt the truck tank for the coach. The adaptation involved cutting with a torch the existing tank mounting bracket.

We now also have a brand-new hydraulic fluid cooler thanks to a recall. This is the bottom-most cooler under our side radiator.

Our coach keeps getting newer and newer

Old 10-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

John,

Was that handled under warranty?
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Rex - the coolant surge tank and the recalled cooler are for a fact. Pretty sure the fan parts are as well.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:24 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I'm surprised they haven't notified you earlier. In 2005 Freightliner had a number of recalls on the XC side radiator chassis for overheating. One of them was to replace the Dexron 3 in the hydraulic system with good old 15W-40 motor oil. Their reasoning was that the oil would thin out too much at high temps and they needed a thicker oil in order to keep the fan motor turning at the higher revs. Shortly thereafter they had another recall to replace the oil cooler. It turns out that the cooler wasn't designed for the thicker oil and the coolers were blowing out and leaking. Another "fix" was to wrap the engine's air intake piping with reflective tape and add some rubber baffles to the radiator. By the way, none of these made any difference.

As to the surge tank - I was on my third tank when I traded it in after 3 years. They always crack at the filler neck because it's just spin welded into place and the plastic joint is too weak. Adapting the Century model tank to your coach is a good move.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

John, I have a cracking surge tank on our 03 Horizon also,but I was thinking it was due to UV deterioration. Do you think the tank is cracking from heat,UV or what? My tank needs to be replaced , could it be done under warranty?
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

John, could you post a picture of the new surge tank.

Thanks
Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oh-one:
John, I have a cracking surge tank on our 03 Horizon also,but I was thinking it was due to UV deterioration. Do you think the tank is cracking from heat,UV or what? My tank needs to be replaced , could it be done under warranty? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Freightliner has had lots of problems with the surge tanks over the last few years. You could call the Freightliner service number and ask them if your chassis is still in warranty (I doubt it, though.) If not, ask if they would consider a customer "goodwill" replacement.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimandsue60:
John, could you post a picture of the new surge tank.

Thanks
Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim - will do. I was going to do it yesterday but laziness interfered with productivity.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:48 AM   #9
Arv
Winnebago Camper

I experienced the same heating problems in the mountains of Colorado this summer. I had the hydraulic fan motor and pump replaced twice before the correct, updated, pump and motor was installed. Now the temp runs about 190, but haven't had a chance check it out on long grades yet. By the way it was all covered under warranty.

2006 Vectra 40FD
Arv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Okay - done with Tolleson Freightliner until 10/20 for the fan motor/pump replacement. They did a super job of all the other stuff.

Here is a link to a picture of our new coolant surge tank.

We also have a brand new hydraulic fluid reservoir. Ours had a weepy leak ever since new. The tech said this is the first one anybody ever remembers replacing. Luck us

While they were checking the air filter minder, it fell to pieces so we have a new one of these. Fortunately everything is still covered under warranty except of course the M3 maintenance.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Our 2002 Winnebago Journey with 21,000 has just
had a failer of the heater core and caused loss of coolent. This cost us $810. because our extended warrenty didn't cover. We have two other friends with the same couch, with less than 30,000 miles that the exact thing happened to. Shouldn't Winnebago or Frieghtliner realize that flaw and cover it?
John Hines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Call them or write a polite letter explaining the situation. I know Winnie does a lot of 'good will' repairs in certain situations. Since your coach is five and soon to be six years old they might not help but it only takes a little time to find out for sure.