Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cruise control inoperative 1998 Ford Chassis

Just getting acquainted with my "new to me" 98 Brave with Ford chassis. Mostly in great condition other than a few little issues. I checked the fuse in the box out front, it's good. Can anyone tell me the next step...where to look. When I turn the switch on wheel ON, no indicator light of any kind & of course it won't Set.

Help much appreciated.

Thanks, Lee
Leeorlando2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Where is your brake light switch located? Cruise cont is part of the sw. Try shimming between the brake pedal arm and the switch.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Lee, If your 98 has had the speed control recall done then an additional wiring harness has been added to the system. Find your master cylinder and look for this new harness. You will see there are 2 fuse holders in the new harness, check them.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:50 PM   #4
RAD

When I bought my 97 Gulf Stream I found out that there were 2 recalls for the cruise control and the first one was done when I purchased it but the PO disconnected the system as per Ford by unplugging it ....I plugged it in and it worked fine till I had the second recall fix
Old 02-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hi Lee, having a Ford chassis Rv at one point I had the same cruise control issue. Funny as it sounds I willing to bet one of your rear tail light bulbs are burnt out. Replace both for good measure and cruise may work. I've made this suggestion another time and that was the solution. Good luck.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary CA View Post
Hi Lee, having a Ford chassis Rv at one point I had the same cruise control issue. Funny as it sounds I willing to bet one of your rear tail light bulbs are burnt out. Replace both for good measure and cruise may work. I've made this suggestion another time and that was the solution. Good luck.

Thanks... I checked all the bulbs for tail & stoplight. All good.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

My 99 had corroded switches in the steering wheel. I paid a guy to fix it and that is what the problem was. mostly you hear about stop light switches or light bulbs but there are other causes too.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

This and several in the Ford Chassis Forum will guide you on the trail to be sure you have the recall or a possible failure of the recalled switch http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/safet...ll-204891.html
Old 02-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Well curiously for fun I tried the cruise yesterday & it worked perfectly. Who knows what was wrong. I had pulled the center part of the steering wheel off, checked the terminals & buttons with a meter...maybe that did something, but I'm just happy it worked!! Another item off the list!!

Tags
chassis, cruise control, ford