Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
jgh
Winnebago Camper

cruise control fuse or circuit breaker

my cruise control quit on steep climb in 2006 sightseer 34a. haven't been able to locate fuse or breaker. appreciate any help.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:05 PM   #2
Site Team

It’s totally normal when going up a steep grade with cruise on that it will suddenly disengage when the RV is slowing down and not able to keep up the set speed.

Is this what you are referring to?
Old 11-30-2019, 07:13 AM   #3
jgh
Winnebago Camper

cruise control

it shut off in steep climb but won't come back on. That's why i hoped it was fuse or breaker but can't find anything labeled cruise control.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
Site Team

Chassis manufacturers hide fuses everywhere. If you have a Ford chassis that should be easy to determine, but if you have a Workhorse chassis then I have no idea where you can get that info.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

On mine, the brake light switch was hanging up from time to time. When that happens, of course, the cruise cannot be functional as the brakes are being applied in the chassis' "mind." Replaced the switch and the cruise resumed full time.
Grady71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:36 AM   #6
jgh
Winnebago Camper

mine is the ford chassis.
don't believe it is brake, cruise won't turn back on.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Is the cruise light coming on at all when you turn it on? If not, then it is an electrical issue. If it comes on and wont set then it's most likely a vacuum issue.
SCCAFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
jgh
Winnebago Camper

light does nt come on. thas why I thought it was fuse or breaker which I haven't found.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:35 PM   #9
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

Cruise control abs sensor

Cruise control also quits when the rear wheel speed sensor goes bad . Been there with the MB sprinter chassis.
Cruise control went out on our BMW as well , when the rear wheel sensor went bad. Usually has a dash warning light come on also .
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh View Post
light does nt come on. thas why I thought it was fuse or breaker which I haven't found.

Was the Ford Fire Hazard Recall done on the Brake Safety Interlock? If so then the fuse is on a jumper plugged into the brake pressure switch under the master cylinder.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:46 AM   #11
jgh
Winnebago Camper

don't no if that was done. bought it 2 months ago. this was first trip except to take it home. will look at master cylinder.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

You can call Ford Customer Service and they can look up the VIN and tell you. This was a very broad recall that impacted just about every Ford vehicle built with cruise control and a brake pressure switch used to sense when to disengage it. The problem was that if the pressure switch started leaking it would short out the harness below and start a fire even when the vehicles were turned off and parked so its in your best interest to call and verify 100% if this has been taken care of.

The recall went from the early 1990's and kept getting expanded into the mid or so 2000's and I am not sure of the exact cutoff date. It was over 10,000,000 vehicles including motor homes involved and there were several hundred fires as a result of it however even without a fire if the switch leaked brake fluid or failed your cruise control would not turn on.

The simple fix to prevent a fire was to unplug the switch which would prevent you from being able to turn on the cruise control.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We've experienced the CC turning off while driving and/or not engaging (no green light). It seemed to happen most often (but not always) on rough roads.

There is a switch attached to the brake peddle that activates a brake lights and deactivates the CC. We discovered that tapping the peddle sideways with our foot would sometimes allow it to be re-engaged. The switch appears to be somewhat loose but I haven't explored past that.
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

You can try operating the chassis battery disconnect switch. Turn off for 60 seconds and then turn back on. This removes power from the Engine Control Module. Sometimes this can clear a problem.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:35 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Might note the OP is about four months old and we can hope they found a solution?
The newer the vehicle the more sensors to sort through and it can get out of our control really quickly. I'm dealing with a Focus intermittent fail to crank and it has been into the Ford garage three times without success. Last diagnostics was a "bad battery" but they never looked at the battery to find it was replaced when the problem started!
Sometimes you get good service, sometimes not.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse