Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-16-2015, 05:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cruise Control

We have a 2009 35A Adventurer the cruise works fine on level, but when we come to a hill it revs up 5000 rpms.when you come to a hill it down shifts, then down shifts again real fast then revs up to 5000 rpms. We had a 2007 33T with the same engine, did not do that worked great. Any suggestions what is going on? Thanks
V&VRVERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2007 Adventurer, bought with less than 8000 on the odometer and had the same problem. A mosquito would hit the windshield and it would downshift twice and hit 5000 rpm. After research I bought the 5 star tune. What a difference. It still downshifts too soon on cruise but is ok with my foot on the throttle. No difference on gas milage but is much more pleasant to drive. It always had more than enough power but now climbs the same hills/mountain grades at 4000 instead of 5000 rpm
02rld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If your RV is on a Ford E450 or F53 chassis, this is an known issue with all motor homes built on those platforms. The 5 star tune 87 Octane RV tune is one way to make it better. I loaded the 5 Star Tune and it helps some, the RV now uses 4th gear before shifting to 3rd gear but it did not help the driving with cruise control on roads with worse than 2% grades even on small hills. Personally I have just gotten used to shutting off the cruise control every time I start up a hill before the ECM can drop the transmission into 3rd gear and manually using the throttle to keep it from dropping into 3rd gear while letting the speed drop from 65 down to 60 or worst case 55 by the top of the hill.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

5-star is close to releasing a fix for the shifting with the cruise control on.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
If your RV is on a Ford E450 or F53 chassis, this is an known issue with all motor homes built on those platforms. The 5 star tune 87 Octane RV tune is one way to make it better. I loaded the 5 Star Tune and it helps some, the RV now uses 4th gear before shifting to 3rd gear but it did not help the driving with cruise control on roads with worse than 2% grades even on small hills. Personally I have just gotten used to shutting off the cruise control every time I start up a hill before the ECM can drop the transmission into 3rd gear and manually using the throttle to keep it from dropping into 3rd gear while letting the speed drop from 65 down to 60 or worst case 55 by the top of the hill.
Thanks for your reply, Yes our Adventurer is a 2009 35A with a Ford V10 F53. We had a 2007 Vista 33T with the V10 F53 and the shifting with cruise or without was great, perfect, which surprises us about this one. We took to Ford Dealer they updated the computer and on the way home which is about 30 miles it worked great. Then a couple weeks later towing the car, back like it was.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Ours is a V10 F53. That's what my husband did all the way to our destination. What bothers us is we had a 2007 Vista 33T with the same engine and it worked great.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by V&VRVERS View Post
Ours is a V10 F53. That's what my husband did all the way to our destination. What bothers us is we had a 2007 Vista 33T with the same engine and it worked great.
Ford made a change in 2007-2008 time frame from a 2 valve per cylinder head to a 3 valve per cylinder head on the V10 engine. Likely had major changes to the ECM to accomodate the change. So, that might explain why your earlier coach worked different. It was not quite the same engine.

I was told 2nd hand that some student interns at Ford wrote the ECM program for the current V10 chassis that has all the cruise and gear selection issue. Don't know if it's true or not but it is just mind blowing to me that Ford can spend a few engineering hours addressing this issue. If 5 Star can do it why can't Ford ???

It was great to hear that 5 Star is working on improving the cruise control operation on the V10 RV Tune ECM program!
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise control