Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2007, 04:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Well, after months if not years of occassionally reading silently these forums, we have decided to join! Such a leap for us...

Here's the question for those of you with more experience than we have with motorhomes: why do our slides creep out?

We own a 2007 Winnebago Vectra with 3 slides. The front, curb-side (passenger) has issues. On our first trip it dislodged and became stuck. It was in at the bottom and out at the top. We couldn't get it to do anything and had to take it in for repairs. The dealer said that it was probably the winds on the trip. We were driving through NE New Mexico and through the panhandles of Texas and Oklahoma...and yes it was windy; we estimate winds of 30+ mph gusts with steady winds somewhat lower. Yes, my husband fought the crosswinds the entire day.

So we picked it up, brought it home to use as visitor quarters for the company that was coming into town. As it sat ready in the driveway, with the slides in, the curb-side crept loose at the bottom. We moved the slides out and then in, locked them in again. Not two days later it did it again. We called our dealer and he said that we hadn't held the button down for 5 full seconds and lock the slide (oh yes we did!). So I called Winnebago and the service tech there said that it sounded like a bad solenoid. Back to the dealer we go. Again, the say that we aren't getting them in completely and locking....or now another possible reason. Temperature fluctuations causing the fluid expand and contract.

So what do we believe...what do ya'll think?
Old 05-22-2007, 04:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Well, after months if not years of occassionally reading silently these forums, we have decided to join! Such a leap for us...

Here's the question for those of you with more experience than we have with motorhomes: why do our slides creep out?

We own a 2007 Winnebago Vectra with 3 slides. The front, curb-side (passenger) has issues. On our first trip it dislodged and became stuck. It was in at the bottom and out at the top. We couldn't get it to do anything and had to take it in for repairs. The dealer said that it was probably the winds on the trip. We were driving through NE New Mexico and through the panhandles of Texas and Oklahoma...and yes it was windy; we estimate winds of 30+ mph gusts with steady winds somewhat lower. Yes, my husband fought the crosswinds the entire day.

So we picked it up, brought it home to use as visitor quarters for the company that was coming into town. As it sat ready in the driveway, with the slides in, the curb-side crept loose at the bottom. We moved the slides out and then in, locked them in again. Not two days later it did it again. We called our dealer and he said that we hadn't held the button down for 5 full seconds and lock the slide (oh yes we did!). So I called Winnebago and the service tech there said that it sounded like a bad solenoid. Back to the dealer we go. Again, the say that we aren't getting them in completely and locking....or now another possible reason. Temperature fluctuations causing the fluid expand and contract.

So what do we believe...what do ya'll think?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

First, welcome to the forum . Glad you decided to join in. You will find lot's of helpful info here from some great folks.

Sorry you are having issues with your new rig but I am sure you will get those bugs worked out. I recently had an issue with the alignment of my big slide but was able to make adjustments myself to correct it. Also, I had to replace a leaking hydraulic line to my rear slide and it did creep out a few inches for the first week or so after I replaced the line...I suspect it was due to lingering air in the hydraulic lines.

Sounds like you might have an alignment problem and/or a problem with the HWH system, perhaps a leaking solenoid. Hopefully, your dealer will get it all corrected soon. Let us know how it all works out.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have a 04 Vectra, had the same problem. We went to HWH, give them a call, may be able to help over the phone. They fixed the creeping of my passenger side front slide and also repaired a couple of leaks. Good luck.
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I agree it sounds like part of your problem is an alignment problem. I think the "Temperature fluctuations causing the fluid expand and contract" is just so much BS. A bad solenoid is another possibility. The only time we have had slides creeping, our road service tech told us to run the slide all the way out, then all the way in, holding the switch down 2-3 seconds after it stops moving. And then NEVER move the slide just part way out or in -- to always go all the way out or in. We followed those directions, and have never had another problem with a slide creeping out.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

We have driven for days out west in 20-30+ mph cross winds, head winds, quartering winds, temps from the 30s to the 90s, you name it and never have had a slide creep problem.

You have a problem that needs to be diagnosed and repaired - Paul is right.. be sure you have your BS filter engaged while dealing with the "experts" at dealerships.

BTW - welcome to the forum

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:48 AM   #7
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Were you cruising down the highway with the slides out?? How does wind effect slides when they are in?? Sounds like your dealer is making things up. There are two solenoids for each slide one for extent one for retract. Suggest the dealer replace both. Every time I have a slide creeping it was the solenoid.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for your input! We will call both Winnebago as well as the HWH folks. Our oldest daughter has a phrase she often uses, "I am throwing the B--- S--- flag". Yes, we both have the BS filter engaged...especially when dealing with dealerships...learned that a long time ago with less expensive toys and autos!
Old 05-23-2007, 04:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Had to have both solenoids replaced on mine as well as the U tube because of the slides creeping out.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">gs worked out. I recently had an issue with the alignment of my big slide but was able to make adjustments </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would think you would hear the pump shortcycling if the solenoid was defective, although I have seen a few where the contactor washer has come loose and rattled around.

I have seen this come up on other forums, and talked to the dealer about it casually. The consensus is as Paul mentions above: To close the slide, and continue the pump for another few seconds to make sure your retract pressure is built up to keep it sucked in. Personally I go by ear and listen to how I'm loading the pump, and have so far not had any issues whatsoever. Hope your's is as easy.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2000 Chieftain and had the same symptom as you. I called HWH and found them to be very knowledgeable and helpful. My slide would creep out about an inch or so in 2 days. The fix was to replace the solenoid and it is fairly easy to do or have done.
After replacement, the slide worked well for a few weeks and then started moving again. I tighted the valve and the end of the solenoid and have not had any more problems. This is the same valve that the book tells me to open if I ever have to manually pull the slide in.

Matt