Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We're in the MH for the month of March in Vancouver, BC. It's not been dreadfully cold (26-ish F) on a couple of nights, else just around freezing.

Since we do warmer than 60s at night, the furnace has run quite a bit. In the last 48 hours it has developed an intermittent crackling sound while running, although it is putting out lots of heat and doesn't seem to be shortening it's run time.

Might this be the beginning of the end of a fan bearing?

Ciao,

Doug

Banks PowerPack & Transcommand
DougJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We're in the MH for the month of March in Vancouver, BC. It's not been dreadfully cold (26-ish F) on a couple of nights, else just around freezing.

Since we do warmer than 60s at night, the furnace has run quite a bit. In the last 48 hours it has developed an intermittent crackling sound while running, although it is putting out lots of heat and doesn't seem to be shortening it's run time.

Might this be the beginning of the end of a fan bearing?

Ciao,

Doug

Old 03-14-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Doug,

What you describe could be the motor bushing, but the term "crackling" doesn't really seem to fit. Typical motor noise fatigue will be a high pitched whine, rattle on accel or decel, or eve a thumping sound. As this motor has only bushings on the ends, and it non-servicable (read that as replace don't fix), high operational time can fatigue it.

Assuming that you have the original unit in your coach, it is obviously 16 years old, and if it hasn't been inspected in the last couple years, I would strongly urge you to do so. My concern would be the combustion chamber and it's structrual integrity. This is also the place in which carbon monoxide is produced and controlled via the outside intake and exhaust ports.

I don't want to sound like an alarmist, but this can be a serious condition that needs quick review by a trained tech.

If you need any more thoughts, please feel free to ask.

Best of luck,
Mike & Lisa
TheRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">it is obviously 16 years old, and if it hasn't been inspected in the last couple years, I would strongly urge you to do so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Mike & Lisa,

Thanks for your comments and advice. Yes, it is the original furnace; and yes, it was serviced about two years ago when a new "igniter board" (???) was installed and the unit checked out for proper functioning.

I will be getting it checked out--probably in early April after our month's stay here in Vancouver.

I'm wondeering if I should simply have a new furnace installed and avoid chasing parts, etc., on a 16 year old furnace. Any thoughts on this?

Ciao,

Doug

Old 03-15-2006, 04:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The "crackling" sound may be caused by the sheet metal heating.

I would have the furnace checked by a qualified technician. Insects have a habit of build nests in appliance openings.

Try to stay with the tech when he does your service. He may give you some tips on operation and maintenance.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Good Morning Doug,

Tom has offered some very sound advice. When you say the unit was "checked out" that can mean a lot of different things. With a unit that old, if I were servicing it I would advise you that it would be very wise to remove the unit and do a full disassembly and cleaning. During this process a full inspection of the combustion chamber including inside/outside and flushing with pressure test would be performed. Typically we would charge ~$200-250 for this inspection and if conditions indicated that a replacement unit was recommended and you chose to do so, probably 40-50% of that 200-250 would go towards the cost of a new unit. With the cost of a new unit being somewhere between 600-800 bucks, it might be advisable to have a complete inspection, with written report, performed. As Tom comments, it is very advisable to observe this inspection.

If you need anymore input, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Mike & Lisa
TheRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Your flame or pressure maybe out of adjustment causing it to get too hot or the vent air setting for the flame.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks folks for the further comments and advice.

I'll have this checked out early in April. I need to return home with the unit (from Vancouver) to unload wife and cat and then bring the unit back down to the Vancouver area to the Winnebago dealership where I have work on the "house" done.

BTW, in that earlier check up of the furnace, it was pulled out and taken apart. That's when by keeping their eyes open they found a cracked nut holding the propane feeder line connection to the furnace.

Ciao,

Doug