Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Several weeks ago a crack appeared in our counter top between the sink and the stove top. The counter top is a marble looking material that is probably some type of plastic. Has anyone had this problem and what was done to fix it. It would be a major project to replace the counter top.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Several weeks ago a crack appeared in our counter top between the sink and the stove top. The counter top is a marble looking material that is probably some type of plastic. Has anyone had this problem and what was done to fix it. It would be a major project to replace the counter top.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I believe your unit has a corian countertop. It is made special for our RV's as it is thinner than residential corian. Yes it is a plastic type material actually more like fiberglass as it is a resin type material. It will not be cheap to replace. You may want to check with a corian dealer in your area. There are other materials that are similar to corian (made by dupont). You may want to check them out also.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Check with a local cabinet shop that installs solid surface counter tops. They usually have someone with the skills to repair these counters.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

If your counter top is made of Corian, it can be repaired as new, but you have to track down an experienced Corian repairman to do it. We had to import one from Los Angeles to fix our Condo counter top 230 miles away. The strange thing is that what causes Corian to crack is getting it too hot. Just the thing to surround the stove with...
Good Luck
Golfingene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I agree with the other posts; this material is most likely Corian. We have Corian in our home, and the seams are invisible. The installers fill the seams with a resin and polish them out, and they become invisible. I assume they can do the same thing with a crack. It should be repairable with little effort (but probably not at little cost).

Our '00 Journey had a crack in the Corian behind the stove; I never had it repaired.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

As I recall from GNR a couple of years ago. Winne has used 2 different materials for the solid surface counter tops. You need to contact Winnebago to find out exactly what is installed in your coach before you proceed any further. I seem to remember that the NOT Corian material was easier to repair than Corian but don't hold me to that. When you know what material you have you can then proceed to getting the repair done.

If it was me I would be very very careful about who did the repair because this type of work is new so there are most likely guys out there who could make your top worse either now or some time down the road.

Please keep us informed as to how you make out as someone else might have the same problem.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Navy Flier:
Several weeks ago a crack appeared in our counter top between the sink and the stove top. The counter top is a marble looking material that is probably some type of plastic. Has anyone had this problem and what was done to fix it. It would be a major project to replace the counter top. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it cracked it could be due to flexing of the underlayment. It really does not matter if it be Corian, Surell, WilsonArt or any of the other brands any good Kitchen shop who makes up solid surface and deals with that brand should be able to patch the cracks in the same manner that they joint it when making it new. It will be the same buffing process etc once they fill the void with the resin etc to join it back together. They may have to reinfoce the substrate from underneath first but they should not have to replace the entire top.

You may be amazed at the repairs a good man can make on these types of tops.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:56 AM   #9
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Its probably a product called "Swanstone". It easily repairable. Winnebago has the repair procedure.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:33 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You need to contact Winnebago to find out exactly what is installed in your coach before you proceed any further. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Mine is made by Vendura www.vendura.com 800-394-4524, confirmed by a Vendura rep at a show. Looks like Corian, but is not. Call Winny.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:39 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

The last two or three post have it right...CALL WINNIE, give them your Winnie serial # , they will tell you what you have and how to get it fixed...Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all. Obviously the next item is to call Winnebago. I will post the results of the task when completed.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Gad, this is a new one to me, and Winny is the only one I've heard of this happening. So many things have gone bad on my 2004 I guess the counter top must be next.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Update one: Thudman had it nailed. The counter top is supplied by Vendura. Winnebago tech services confirmed the material. I contacted the company (www.vendura.com) and talked to their RV tech rep who pleasantly answered all of my questions and explained the repair procedure. I ordered their repair kit which includes a video. It is not cheap at $65 but is cheaper than a repairman's visit to the coach.