Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-16-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

My counter & stove tops were showing minor scratches from normal use. Nothing really bad. While at GNR, Winnie Foundry, I spoke w/Vendura rep. Mine, and probably yours, is NOT Corian, as most folks think. In fact there was no Corian rep at GNR.
Anyway the Vendura rep said to use #400 sandpaper (black/gray), wet, & gently sand; circular motion. A white pumice-like residue comes off. Clean with wet cloth/paper towel. Let dry, then apply Pledge furniture polish. Works great. But note that the finish will no longer be shiny; it will be "flat". I was concerned that it might be porous and accrue stains, but so far not.

Vendura; 800-394-4524; vendura.com

One more thing to do.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:59 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

My counter & stove tops were showing minor scratches from normal use. Nothing really bad. While at GNR, Winnie Foundry, I spoke w/Vendura rep. Mine, and probably yours, is NOT Corian, as most folks think. In fact there was no Corian rep at GNR.
Anyway the Vendura rep said to use #400 sandpaper (black/gray), wet, & gently sand; circular motion. A white pumice-like residue comes off. Clean with wet cloth/paper towel. Let dry, then apply Pledge furniture polish. Works great. But note that the finish will no longer be shiny; it will be "flat". I was concerned that it might be porous and accrue stains, but so far not.

Vendura; 800-394-4524; vendura.com

One more thing to do.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 08-16-2005, 02:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

On my 2005 Horizon the countertops are Corian - there is a little "button" with the Corian symbol on the top.

I suspect that refinshing techniques for all of the solid surface countertops are about the same. We have Corian countertops in our kitchen and the routine is about the same. There are different requirements for the matte finish and the shiny finish.

You could try 0000 steel wool and automobile rubbing compound to restore the shine. Even toothpaste is a very mild abrasive.

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:16 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Winnie probably put Corian in the hi-line rigs. I agree that refinishing is probably about the same on these types of surfaces.

Thx for the info. I think I'll stick w/the flat surface--kinda like it.

Thudman

Old 08-16-2005, 04:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I wonder how you fill small gouges. My brave went into a pothole and the mettle coffee pot flew out of the overhead cabinet and hit the kitchen counter, spout point first. Go figure.
AKBrick
Old 08-17-2005, 01:36 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Winnie does offer their dealers a countertop repair kit. I know it's used to fix countertop cracks, so it probably would be good for a ding or chip too. You could try calling Winnie Owner Relations at 800-537-1885, or e-mailing then at [email protected]
Another good source for parts & advice is http://www.lichtsinn.com/motorhome/home.htm (Winnie dealer right in Forest City).
Old 08-17-2005, 04:28 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Maybe Vendura can help also. See contact info on my post above.

Thudman

Old 08-17-2005, 07:54 AM   #8

All solid surface material is similar but not the same. What can be used on one to patch may not work on another (various polymers etc are used). FIRST always find out what material is used. Check with the solid surfacing manufacturer for repairs (Pretty much all of them have websites). They can usually sell you a kit or put you in touch with an authorized repair person.

We used to sell Corian brand Solid Surfacing when we had a cabinet shop. Took a class thru Solid Surfaces in SC (our Corian fabricator) to learn what you could and couldn't do with Corian. They were always trying to get David to become an authorized fabricator but we decided it wasn't worth the hassle and wear & tear on both the tools and David. David thought it was hard enough just installing the heavy stuff when Solid Surfaces was backed up. He didn't want to do more than that. And he was shocked at how hard the solid surface material was on the tools (all cutting edges must be sharp carbide & the SS installers tossed their heavy-duty high-end routers about every 4-6 weeks).
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote