Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Could I have a dead battery? Please help

Sprinter 3500 2012 via. I’ve had to jump the battery twice. Plugging it on shore power shouldn’t affect it, should it.

It’s in the floor on the driver’ side. It seems like it’s dying. It is the original battery.

Pep Boys has a Bosch replacement for a $120.00 plus $22.00 core. I hop I can install it.
Scorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

An original battery that lasted 7 years...that's incredible! I've read several threads here that indicate 3 to 4 years is typical. Pep Boys should be able to verify it's the battery by testing it but my money says replace it.

Al
Old 09-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAspect View Post
An original battery that lasted 7 years...that's incredible! I've read several threads here that indicate 3 to 4 years is typical. Pep Boys should be able to verify it's the battery by testing it but my money says replace it.

Al
I’m not sure, I bought it used. But it only has 15K miles. The service records don’t show it being replaced. It was kept in storage when not in use.

I will have it replaced tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

When it comes to batteries, mileage doesn't always mean much. Environment (think extreme heat or cold) and age have more to do with the longevity. I would still ask Pep Boys to verify it is the battery and not something else like an alternator. Chances are it is the battery. Good luck!

Al
Old 09-23-2019, 06:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

It says in the manual there are two batteries, one in the floor and one in top. How do you know which one is bad.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Pep Boys should be able to do their complimentary tests on both. If both are original, you probably want to change out both. If you have a meter, you can test them yourself. Don't skimp on the quality of your replacement batteries as your really do get what you pay for in this situation. Good luck!

Al
Old 09-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Bosch

They are Bosch batteries. I hop that's a good brand.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

You should not have to pay the core charge as you will give them your trade-in battery .
Plugging into shore power should charge both batteries , one for engine and one for house !
Wakullabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, it was the battery, it wasn’t completely dead, but I bought a new one anyway. I bought the best one Pep Boys had, Bosch 4 year free replacement for $192.00 installed. They honored the web price for me. When I start it up now it starts right away.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Glad it worked out! We have a 2012 Challenger Yellow Jacket that is stored in our garage most of the year. We used to replace batteries in it about every other year simply because the lack of use (it only has 2500 miles on it to date). I put a Battery Tender on it 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since. Seeing as your MH was stored most of the time, I imagine it experienced much the same thing. We have our MH out at least every 6 to 8 weeks for a minimum of 3 to 4 days so I haven't had any issues with our batteries...yet!

Al
Old 09-23-2019, 04:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info, I bought this April and it was kept inside storage most of the yr. I will keep in an outside storage about a mile from home. Should I take it out drive one a month after I winterize it? It’s a Winnebago Via 25 foot with a Mercedes sprinter chassis.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

You can get some brutal winter storms in Indiana so I wouldn't take it out in inclement weather or if there is salt on the road. If the weather is good and you can take it out, then do so and drive it about 10-15 minutes. If the weather isn't good, go by once a month or so, start it up and run it to temperature before shutting it down. Onan generator manuals that I have seen also say to run the generator each month under full load...you could do that at the same time. Look at your owners manual for specific directions. But don't forget to get it out and enjoy some RV'ing! I live in northern AZ and winters can be brutal here so every chance we get, we get away between snow storms. It can be tough getting back up the mountain during or just after a big snow storm. Good luck!

Al

Tags
battery