Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
JWmAustin

Correct Satellite roof wiring ?

I had a traveler satellite installed and would like someone who has the set up tell me if mine looks correct? Where is unattached during its wings and go through a spot in the roof that's the distance from the antenna. Is this correct?

Name:   IMG_1785.JPG
Views: 470
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:   IMG_1786.JPG
Views: 475
Size:  80.0 KB
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Bill
Looks near identical to my wire run on a 15 Ellipse. Does appear that long wire run is not secured to the roof - recommend you do so - the wind will really stress the connections at the antenna turret. My wiring has some glue-down tabs you can slip a wire tie through ...
Old 02-04-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Can't tell from the picture where your cables enter relative to the antenna roller path when stowing. My cable entry, and the compound used to seal the entry were in the roller path (note the roller goes out further during action than where is finally lands). The roller picked up some sealer compound and would stick to the roof, causing an 'elevation jam' message and stop when powered and setting itself up. Placed a piece of metal for the roller to ride on and keep it out of the sticky compound.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Does your RV have a second receiver location? (Prewired?)

Seems like you should have 3 wires running into the RV (if you do). 1 wire is the control wire, the others are for signals.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Mine has 2 coax feeds from the dish through the roof into the front entertainment area plus one control cable. You require 2 coax cables if you want to watch one station and record another on the PVR. There is also a cable from the dish to a roof mounted GPS so the system can determine where I am....and I also have a coax from the dish going to the rear through the roof to the bedroom entertainment area for a second HD receiver.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

You haven't mentioned whether it is dish or DirecTV
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Looks like from the picture he has a SWM style LNB. If it is Directv and has a SWM3 LNB you run only one coax and one control cable. In the coach you have a 21 volt injector power supply and the splitting is done after the supply. If it is a 5 satellite LNB you need a coax for every receiver you want to use. Same if it is Dish.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
Does your RV have a second receiver location? (Prewired?)

Seems like you should have 3 wires running into the RV (if you do). 1 wire is the control wire, the others are for signals.
My comment was assuming a Dish Network dish. DirecTV SWM might be only one line for signal.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:29 PM   #9
JWmAustin

Folks
Sorry for not enough info. It's DirecTV and yes it uses a SWM....so fewer wires.

You guys have answered my questions I think. I wanted to leave it a bit open to see what info I got without saying what my concerns were. The tech that installed it did not use the prewired hookup...saying it was hard to find. That made me wonder if he handled the roof connection correctly and, having just bought the unit, I was prepared to raise uh "heck". Since from you all it appears the external part looks ok I now only have to see what "custom" work he did inside. I do know he didn't seem to use the "coax patch panel that came in the cabinet over the door. There does continue to be flakes of insulation dropping from the audio cabinet. It all seems to work as far as reception though so I'm not as concerned.

On some points:
1. Yes I think I need to tie down the loose wires on the roof...thought I might do something a little nicer than glue it and use a plastic sleeve or a surface mount channel
2. No the roller path seems ok, thanks for the headsup
3. I have one HD regular unit and an SD DVR unit both working with this configuration
4. It contains an HDMI and IR switcher to get signals to all 3 TVs. Those seem to need some work to get the remotes to not be confused.

I do love this Ellipse. I think there will be more on this subject as I play with it but I'll have to see if it fits this thread.

As usual, thanks for the help!

Bill
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmaustin View Post
Folks
Sorry for not enough info. It's DirecTV and yes it uses a SWM....so fewer wires.

You guys have answered my questions I think. I wanted to leave it a bit open to see what info I got without saying what my concerns were. The tech that installed it did not use the prewired hookup...saying it was hard to find. That made me wonder if he handled the roof connection correctly and, having just bought the unit, I was prepared to raise uh "heck". Since from you all it appears the external part looks ok I now only have to see what "custom" work he did inside. I do know he didn't seem to use the "coax patch panel that came in the cabinet over the door. There does continue to be flakes of insulation dropping from the audio cabinet. It all seems to work as far as reception though so I'm not as concerned.

On some points:
1. Yes I think I need to tie down the loose wires on the roof...thought I might do something a little nicer than glue it and use a plastic sleeve or a surface mount channel
2. No the roller path seems ok, thanks for the headsup
3. I have one HD regular unit and an SD DVR unit both working with this configuration
4. It contains an HDMI and IR switcher to get signals to all 3 TVs. Those seem to need some work to get the remotes to not be confused.

I do love this Ellipse. I think there will be more on this subject as I play with it but I'll have to see if it fits this thread.

As usual, thanks for the help!

Bill
Yes, I would secure the coax run a little more. You can get coax clips with adhesive backs, they work fine. you can also simply cover the cables in a few spots with roof sealant. There are several suitable ways to do this. Take your pick.

As for your HDMI distribution...

Install a Genie and use wireless clients to your other TVs. Way more functionality, easy and reliable.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Bill
Looks near identical to my wire run on a 15 Ellipse. Does appear that long wire run is not secured to the roof - recommend you do so - the wind will really stress the connections at the antenna turret. My wiring has some glue-down tabs you can slip a wire tie through ...

x2 I used roof sealant.

Tags
roof, satellite, wiring