Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2006, 09:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

In searches I found information on Fords, but nothing related to diesel rigs.(Searched on Coolant Loss).
1999 Winnebago Adventurer - Freightliner Chassis, Cummins 275 Turbo - 22K miles

Coolant level in the reservoir below the "Cold" line - filled to half way between the "Cold" and "Hot" lines with distilled water, about a quart and a half, (I know should use 50/50 - except I have not determined which kind to use to match what is there). After 400 miles, coolant is back below the "Cold" line. No antifreeze smell, no noticable leaking. NO OVERHEATING. Temperature guage never above the "o" in Normal. Do see water drip around the front right (Passenger) side tire when I stop, but figure that is the Chassis A/C unit draining. Yes, I know and am worried that I might have the infamous "53" Block (infamous like Area 51)and that I really have bad trouble.
Suggestions before I send big $$$ at Freightliner?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

In searches I found information on Fords, but nothing related to diesel rigs.(Searched on Coolant Loss).
1999 Winnebago Adventurer - Freightliner Chassis, Cummins 275 Turbo - 22K miles

Coolant level in the reservoir below the "Cold" line - filled to half way between the "Cold" and "Hot" lines with distilled water, about a quart and a half, (I know should use 50/50 - except I have not determined which kind to use to match what is there). After 400 miles, coolant is back below the "Cold" line. No antifreeze smell, no noticable leaking. NO OVERHEATING. Temperature guage never above the "o" in Normal. Do see water drip around the front right (Passenger) side tire when I stop, but figure that is the Chassis A/C unit draining. Yes, I know and am worried that I might have the infamous "53" Block (infamous like Area 51)and that I really have bad trouble.
Suggestions before I send big $$$ at Freightliner?
Old 07-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

A simple pressure test on your radiator (with hand pump & leak down gauge) should allay any fears that your engine is "eating" coolant.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:37 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Michael, I'm going off very weak memory but here goes. There was an issue with Cummins/Freightliner positioning of the radiator and hoses that created air pockets in the upper cooling system. As I recall, it was nothing to worry about but just keep adding coolant until it is full. 6-7 times as I recall. Did you just flush your system?

This was on late 1990's Freightliner/Cummins. One of the gentleman had a fix but it seemed overambitious. (more info on http://www.discoveryowners.com/forum/ ).

I think Troth's suggestion is an excellent one and if there's no leaks, just keep adding. I had this in my 97 Fleetwood Discovery 5.9 diesel (203HP).

There is a drill and reweld procedure for the Brazilian cast Cummins block better know as your Area 51. Funny.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

No cooling system flush done since I have had it (about 2 months). Freightliner did check the coolant and deemed it good. It is going to Freightliner on Saturday for a front end alignment, will ask them about a leak down test and see what they find - Thought about just continuing to add fluid for a while and see if the problem continued.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Michael--We have the equivalent Itasca model of your Adventurer. We bought it used a couple of years ago with 125,000 miles on the odometer at a very attractive price and find it perfect for our needs. But, like you, we lose coolant, but not as rapidly as you. It is almost certain that you have the defective "53" cylinder head that cracks and leaks coolant. For the time being, we just keep adding coolant and haven't had any problems. Given our use, this should work for years. I'm emailing you a couple of articles I found about the problem.

John
J. Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

It sounds like you have the infamous Winne heater core leak especially evidenced by water ? near the front passenger tire...To test for the leak, turn AC off and run engine....Put a cup under the AC drip tube under the SCS FRidgette black clamshell box on the left side of the hood area....If any liquid fills the cup, it is coolant usually diluted enough to look like water...taste it, if sweet it is coolant and hence your leak has been identified.

That's the good news, the bad news is that it usually requires pulling the front cap to replace a $110. core. Labor for cap removal is around $1200.... Search "heater core leaks" for more info...Hope this helps....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks RKL, I thought that I had heard about the Heater Core leak before - Will check that this weekend, or next weekend - This time of year I use the Chassis A/C all the time - will roll down the windows and not use the A/C and see what drains out -
Old 07-21-2006, 09:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Yes Please keep us posted on this. Mine loses water also

Thanks

https://irv2.com/photopost/data/2/1029VAC_2004_4_139-thumb.jpg
Tcloud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:34 PM   #10
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Do a search on heater core leaks in this forum. You will find plenty of info. Winnie refuses to address the problem, these thing faithfully go bad after 18000 miles give or take a few. Why they continue to use the defective stuff who knows?
Old 07-29-2006, 08:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Mickey53usa. Did you find anything??

Thanks

https://irv2.com/photopost/data/2/1029VAC_2004_4_139-thumb.jpg
Tcloud7 is offline   Reply With Quote