Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2006, 08:10 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
First trip of the season and we just noticed the double pane seal on the small rear flip out window has failed. Based on the pattern of the considerable amount of moisture it appears the leak is at the point where the window is hinged.

Since the seal is accessible is it possible to open it up, dry it out and re-seal it myself?

On the other hand we are only are 4 weeks outside of warranty. We store it in a covered stall. My feeling is this problem probably started last fall when the coach was sitting in the rain at the dealership waiting on other parts for warranty repair. I'm thinking of calling Winnebago to plead my case but don't feel like entering a protracted battle. I would appreciate hearing from anyone has who has experience approaching Winnebago under a similar set of circumstances.

Thanks in advance.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

First trip of the season and we just noticed the double pane seal on the small rear flip out window has failed. Based on the pattern of the considerable amount of moisture it appears the leak is at the point where the window is hinged.

Since the seal is accessible is it possible to open it up, dry it out and re-seal it myself?

On the other hand we are only are 4 weeks outside of warranty. We store it in a covered stall. My feeling is this problem probably started last fall when the coach was sitting in the rain at the dealership waiting on other parts for warranty repair. I'm thinking of calling Winnebago to plead my case but don't feel like entering a protracted battle. I would appreciate hearing from anyone has who has experience approaching Winnebago under a similar set of circumstances.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:43 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I don't know how they might consider your request, but I would ask. Several of my double pane windows have done the same thing. The 1 that I had a problem with was the passenger side front. It fogged up so bad that it was a safety issue as you could not see through it into the mirror to check the traffic on the side or behind you. Cost of replacement at the selling dealer, 600.00. We now have the bedroom flip out window and the top driver side (stationary) windows all fogger up. It's not a safety issue so we'll let her ride. Good luck in getting your issue resolved. I'd say they are bad windows to begin with.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Jon,
Definitly ask. The window manufacturer may also have a warranty. On my Safari it was 3 years. They supplied the window but I had to pay the labor. It saved me $600 X 2 = $1200. Labor was $300-$400.

2000 Trek 2830 6.5 Diesel
Bob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Call and talk to owner relations - they might be receptive to covering it under warranty or making some concession.

We also have a window where the seal failed.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Since the seal is accessible is it possible to open it up, dry it out and re-seal it myself? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The space between the glass is filled with argon gas. If Winnebago doesn't step up to the plate I would check with a local window company. They should be able to make or order the glass much cheaper than purchasing one from Winnebago.

You could try and dry the window, possibly placing it in an oven set on 100 degrees or so and reseal with silicon. In the oven place the window so the failed spot is up. I haven't heard of anyone trying that.

Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:05 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
[QUOTE] Since the seal is accessible is it possible to open it up, dry it out and re-seal it myself?

The space between the glass is filled with argon gas.

Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm wondering that if you drilled some holes through the seal if the natruel air currents would dry it out and it would remain fog free. My Pella sliding glass door on my house has double pane glass and it has air vents at the bottom of the frame. This glass doesn't ever fog up. You just can't clean in betweeen the glass panels after you drill the holes through the seal.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
Old 04-22-2006, 06:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm wondering that if you drilled some holes through the seal if the natruel air currents would dry it out and it would remain fog free. My Pella sliding glass door on my house has double pane glass and it has air vents at the bottom of the frame. This glass doesn't ever fog up. You just can't clean in betweeen the glass panels after you drill the holes through the seal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you did this you wouldn't have insulated glass. What you could do is just break out one pane of glass and make it single pane. No certain where the tinting is located.

I'll guess your Pella is a sealed unit filled with argon.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:00 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Are you sure the Winnebago Windows are sealed using Argon gas. From what I recall they are just vacuum sealed. The higher end MH windows are Argon sealed. There is a very big difference in sound transfer using gas vs. Vacuum air.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:02 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I'll call Winnebago on Monday and see what they have to say.

Failing that I'll contact Attwood and see if one of their service centers (aka RV dealers) in the Pacific Northwest is capable of taking the window apart and repairing it.

One thing I'd prefer not doing is have the whole window, frame and all, replaced. I had two windows replaced at time of purchase due to fogging or bent frame. It added weeks before we could take delivery of the rig. And one of the replacements had an outside lip that was smaller than the original and left primer exposed versus the full body paint. Fixing the paint added an additional week.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:21 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Are you sure the Winnebago Windows are sealed using Argon gas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I am not certain.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:37 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I posted a similar question back on 13 April Link here re our 2001 Itasca and got some good responses. I asked Winnie about it and got this answer:
"If the windows have fogged, a bad seal has developed in the window. The windows were warranted for a period of one year through Winnebago and two years through Atwood. Replacement glass can be obtained through an authorized Winnebago dealer."

Becurious if you get a different one. Steve
Old 04-23-2006, 04:55 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Failing that I'll contact Attwood and see if one of their service centers (aka RV dealers) in the Pacific Northwest is capable of taking the window apart and repairing it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I took my coach to a glass and window repairer-installer and they told me that you can't take the window apart, reseal and fix the problem. This was on of my ideas before we had the whole frame window etc. replaced. Winnebago will gladly sell the entire window, frame, etc to your installing dealer. Of COURSE!
Old 04-23-2006, 09:14 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Is it my imagination or is this a common problem? Of course the sample size here is small but sure seem to be a lot of these on both new and old coaches. Just an observation (and it probably is an issue in other brands too.) Steve
Old 04-23-2006, 08:28 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I'm at a rally this week and asked around about this problem. A lot of folks with 2-3 year old coaches (not just Winnie) with Attwood windows have had seal failures too.

My guess is the 2 year Attwood warranty has to be processed through one of their approved serivce centers (aka dealers). The Winnebago dealer where I've been going the last six months near where I now live is not an Attwood service center. However, the Winnie dealer where I purchased the coach is an Attwood service center and also has their own paint shop in case of misfit.. The challenge is they are a 4 hour drive away.

Old 04-24-2006, 04:46 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

This window fogging is a very common problem, especally the two most forward front side windows on the driver and passenger side. Nearly every one I know, has a problems with theirs. They were obviously poorly constructed. I have a 2001 and both of these windows have been fogging for 3 years now.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:01 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
This window fogging is a very common problem, especally the two most forward front side windows on the driver and passenger side. Nearly every one I know, has a problems with theirs. They were obviously poorly constructed. I have a 2001 and both of these windows have been fogging for 3 years now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Your right homer. Doesn't your passenger side window cause you trouble looking through into the mirrow or even out of it? It did mine and I had to replace it as it had become a safety issue seeing traffic. "The window ubove the driver side roll down window is completley fogged up and so is the bed room flip out window but these 2 don't cause any safety issues with us so I'll leave them be for now.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:10 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Bobpie: Yes at times it is a real significant problem. Until I get it fixed or replaced my D/W watches that mirror very carefully from her view point. I am thinking of having the whole window replaced with a tempered glass piece. Have not talked to the local glass shop about it just yet.
I have another problem with my crank out B/R windows. The gear drives stripped and would not crank in tight. Had to fix them permanently closed.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:32 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The gear drives stripped and would not crank in tight. Had to fix them permanently closed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wow, I hope that doesn't happen to us, we like to sleep with those open and feel the breeze.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:20 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
This window fogging is a very common problem, especally the two most forward front side windows on the driver and passenger side. Nearly every one I know, has a problems with theirs. They were obviously poorly constructed. I have a 2001 and both of these windows have been fogging for 3 years now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For us it has been both bedroom windows. The big one turned up bad in the fixed area at time of delivery after they pressure washed the coach. In both cases the failure was sufficient to allow A LOT of water to collect inside, not just condensation. The one now could probably double as an aquarium.