Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2022, 06:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Compartment lights not working

I bought new LED compartment lights for my 1999 Winnebago Adventurer

None of them have any power. Check with a volt meter - nothing.

Found this wiring diagram. Does this mean they connect to the breakers under the fridge?

2 say receptacles
1 says main
1 says fridge
1 says ac

Or do I need to look somewhere else?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winnelights.PNG
Views:	58
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	183674  
Old 08-01-2022, 07:06 AM   #2
Just Trying to Help

Sk8Surfr-

A breaker (top row, right) in the panel above the microwave serves the compartment lamps. It's marked "COMPT LAMPS." Before anything else, try resetting that breaker.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It's not tripped - so I can't reset it... should I pull the panel and screws?
Old 08-01-2022, 07:43 AM   #4
Site Team

My 18-yr newer Adventurer has a compartment light master switch. Does yours?

My switch is in the entry stairwell with other switches like awning lights etc. But sometimes on older motorhomes they put switches like this in other places, such as the dashboard.

I checked your Operator’s Manual and didn’t see anything about this but there is a “Lights” switch in the wet bay. But it’s likely a dump light.

Did the lights operate before you changed the bulbs? Immediately before the change? Can you reinstall an OEM bulb to test?
Old 08-01-2022, 08:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I thought maybe the same thing - but if there is I can't find it. I thought maybe the porch light - maybe the other side porch light near the shower. Nope.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:26 AM   #6
Just Trying to Help

Sk8Surfr-

Does the porch light work? It's connected to the same circuit, "WC."
Old 08-01-2022, 08:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Sk8Surfr-

Does the porch light work? It's connected to the same circuit, "WC."
Yup - both porch lights work
Old 08-01-2022, 09:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Surfr View Post
I bought new LED compartment lights for my 1999 Winnebago Adventurer

None of them have any power. Check with a volt meter - nothing.

Found this wiring diagram. Does this mean they connect to the breakers under the fridge?

2 say receptacles
1 says main
1 says fridge
1 says ac

Or do I need to look somewhere else?
No!! This says the plug is under the frig and gives the location on the drawings where you can find the other part of the plug and wiring!

I don't see which drawing you are currently on but to continue the track and trace the wires, you need to go to sheet 2 of that group and then look at the letters and numbers along the sides of the drwings (like paperroad maps?) to locate where "H" and "6" would cross for a plug mating with this one.
A point to help sort wiring is that there are labels on each wire (we hope!)
and then we can decode that label using this list:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

Hint on quicker finding the XYZ you need is to hit ctrl and "F" at teh same time. That brings a dropdown where you can put in XYZ, etc that you want to search for and it gives you how many times and clicking the up/down symbols takes you to each location in the list!

OR if you want to find wire codes for wires to someitem, you can also put in that item, like compartment light" and it will search for all wires listing compartment light in the description!

Not totally handy but it can help.

EDIT:
The mating plug is on sheet2 frame 2 (S2F2?) labeled at lower right corner of sheets. It also referrs you back to the first plug you found.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	f wire id.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	183675  
Attached Images

Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:26 AM   #9
Just Trying to Help

Sk8Surfr-

Hmm... page 7-7 of the manual (link here) shows a switch in the wet bay, as below. According to your post above, your coach does not look like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1999 Adventurer Manual Wet Bay Switches.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	183677  
Old 08-01-2022, 09:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

This is where the power comes from so it shows the porch and comp lights are same breaker, so likely not the breaker ifporch light works! Suggest check the plug along the way if you have neither power nor ground at the lights as only one would be expected to be switched. Both open sounds more like a loose plug??

Name:	topr right.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	183679

A point to keep in mind on these drawings is that the breakers are often shown from the back side so when breaker is at top left on drawing, mentally turn it around to be to right when viewed from front?
Old 08-01-2022, 10:12 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Sk8Surfr-

Hmm... page 7-7 of the manual (link here) shows a switch in the wet bay, as below. According to your post above, your coach does not look like this?
Quote:
maybe the other side porch light near the shower. Nope.
Seems he tried that light switch and it's still no.

I wonder if his lights worked at all previously. He hasn't said.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:28 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

One of the bigger problems with trying to sort problems is that most of us are not really good at tellingother folks what we are doing!
This is a case in point. What is meant when OPsays he tested and nothing??
Does this mean he tested for voltage only and got no voltage or does it mean he got "nothing" as in no battery, no ground?
that can be a key point if we thinkabout what it takes to make lights work as they have to have both battery and ground.
In this case if he had nothing and meant no battery, no ground, the rules out lots of the things talked about as it is unlikely both wires went open at the same time---unless a plug that carries both battery and ground wires came loose!
With that in mind and finding a plug under the frig, I would want to check that plug and any others like on the back of the switch!

But is that what they meant? Nothing may mean different things to different people!
Old 08-01-2022, 12:27 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Sk8Surfr-

I have that - that gives me light in the utility are and it also turns on the exterior porch light on that side. Those both work.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
One of the bigger problems with trying to sort problems is that most of us are not really good at tellingother folks what we are doing!
This is a case in point. What is meant when OPsays he tested and nothing??
Does this mean he tested for voltage only and got no voltage or does it mean he got "nothing" as in no battery, no ground?
that can be a key point if we thinkabout what it takes to make lights work as they have to have both battery and ground.
In this case if he had nothing and meant no battery, no ground, the rules out lots of the things talked about as it is unlikely both wires went open at the same time---unless a plug that carries both battery and ground wires came loose!
With that in mind and finding a plug under the frig, I would want to check that plug and any others like on the back of the switch!

But is that what they meant? Nothing may mean different things to different people!

I tested power at the compartments - multiple ones. No voltage. I was going to try a continuity test on maybe the ground wire? That should be easy enough to rule out... can't I just ground it out anywhere on the coach?
Old 08-01-2022, 03:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Most of the metal of the RV will be grounded but to be sure it is an actual ground , it would be good to use that point to get a voltage test from some point.

Another way to get around a lack of the right tools is to use just some wire in this case. If you have a set of something like a lampcord and can attach it to a couple points that have battery and ground then tot he wires to the lights,that should tell you the circuit from that point toward the bulbs is good.
Not often the case if changing several bulbs, but alway good to be aware that LED bulbs are fussy about the polarity, so if they are the little slip in types, it IS possible to put several in backwards! If it can be put in backwards, try turning one around as you might get lucky!

But the big thing I was wanting to point out is that if there is no voltage and also no ground, that points pretty strongly to some plug getting loose or falling off.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:53 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Is part of the problem that you are not sure where the switch is located, or is it a question of where and how the switch fits in the circuit?

I can't locate the switch but this is a snip of the drawing showing how the power flows from the breaker (top right on panel) to the switch on wire WC at pin 2 of the switch connection, through the switch and out on pin 3 which is then labeled WA and goes to the plug under the frig. Click this snip to get a better view of it!

Name:	lamp switch.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	183683

Have you located/know where the "exterior service switch " is located? Next to water pump switch?

Name:	lamp sw.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	183684
Old 08-05-2022, 07:32 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I tested power at the compartments - multiple ones. No voltage. I was going to try a continuity test on maybe the ground wire? That should be easy enough to rule out... can't I just ground it out anywhere on the coach?

It's best practice to run a temporary ground wire directly to the neg. battery post when testing.
FWIW over 80% of all 12V issues are the result of a poor/missing ground. (somewhere)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:26 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

So - I did some testing today -

Continuity tested the ground direct to battery - good
Continuity test between +\- at the light itself - continuity.. but no voltage. Cant quite figure this one out.

The wire coming from the compartment lights breaker is WC (with no #s)

The compartment lights had the following:
WC8, WC10, WC11, WC6, WC5

The switch for the exterior light wires: WC4, WA2

When I pull the WC wire from the breaker - only the exterior light near the exterior shower doesnt work. The other exterior porch light outside the door still works. So thats clearly on a diffent circuit.
Sk8Surfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:17 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

I'vew never worked out why they add numbers at times but it sees to show it is the same circuit like WC but a second portion of wire? I see they do this at relays where it goes in and then where it connects inside to a different wire but still doing the same thing, they will use a number but not always.

So if you have good ground at the bulb, you need to find where you are not getting battery to make a full circle (circuit?) Since you know where the wire is at the breaker, it shows that it should go next to the switch and come in on pin 2 before going out on pin
3 if the switch is turned on.
On the drawing in post 16 above, it says the label should change to WA after it comes out of the switch and heads toward the plug below the frig as in the post number 8 above. If you can get power at the switch and it goes through to the pins shown so that it looks like it goes to the plug under the frig, I would have to chase it on in that direction. Possibly the plug under the frigis corroded on one or more wires?

The old saying is you have battery looking for ground or in this case, you have ground at the light looking for battery! Somewhere you have to find the hole in the road so they can get together!!
Old 08-07-2022, 08:38 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

When you say plug under fridge- you mean the actual outlet plug just in the floor?
Sk8Surfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights